Cycling!

You can use any kind of treat, or just skip it altogether. I just went through all this with 9 tiger barbs that I just got. I put them in a 10g quarantine tank, and the first couple of water changes they were pretty scared. But now they're used to it and actually play in the bubbles when I put the fresh water in it!

If the 4 fish you're putting in a 5g tank are small and will stay small, you should be fine, especially with daily water changes for a week or so to let the filter media catch up to the bioload.
good.gif

You can use any kind of treat, or just skip it altogether. I just went through all this with 9 tiger barbs that I just got. I put them in a 10g quarantine tank, and the first couple of water changes they were pretty scared. But now they're used to it and actually play in the bubbles when I put the fresh water in it!

If the 4 fish you're putting in a 5g tank are small and will stay small, you should be fine, especially with daily water changes for a week or so to let the filter media catch up to the bioload.
good.gif

So far I've done 2 water changes and I'm really worried that I'm freaking my fish out :X I'll observe over time if they still look scared and stuff!

Yes I'm planning to get some sort of small tetras so my shrimp tank won't look too empty. Yay I'm really excited can't wait! :D

I realised my tank has had a few problems (deaths and white spot). Is it still safe to use the filter media in a new tank? Or should I cycle the new tank from "scratch".

If I do start from "scratch", is it possible to cycle with fish (just a few of them) with daily water changes?

Sorry for more questions again :X

I realised my tank has had a few problems (deaths and white spot). Is it still safe to use the filter media in a new tank? Or should I cycle the new tank from "scratch".

If I do start from "scratch", is it possible to cycle with fish (just a few of them) with daily water changes?

Sorry for more questions again :X

yes - that would be a fish in cycle - have a read up on it in the beginner's section :)

Sorry that existing media had trouble - if you decide to go with fishless cycle - just check the beginner's resource center, like Miles_hot said. There is also a tread in my signature about the "do and do nots" of a fishless - it answers some questions that are most commonly asked even after someone reads the beginner's threads.

Alright. I got my tank and everything set up including fish (sorry guys I had to go with cycling with fish cause my mum wouldn't bring me back to the lfs anymore :S ). Will be doing daily water changes to try and keep ammonia/nitrites down. Should 30-40% water changes daily be sufficient?

No problem - at least you have read up on how to do a fish-in cycle! Your mileage will very in terms of how big a water change is required to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels under control. Do you have a test kit for those so that you can keep track? If you are not able to get a test kit, 40% might be a good level to start with. 50% if you want to be safer.

shrimp dont make much mess so a little mature media on its own would be fine :good:

No problem - at least you have read up on how to do a fish-in cycle! Your mileage will very in terms of how big a water change is required to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels under control. Do you have a test kit for those so that you can keep track? If you are not able to get a test kit, 40% might be a good level to start with. 50% if you want to be safer.

My test kit only comes next week so I'm a little "blind" on parameters haha. Yep alright will do that. I just worry the daily changes will scare my fish. They're already so shy :( When I approach the tank they immediately swim away behind the plants and they don't really want to come out. Boo hoo :sad:

shrimp dont make much mess so a little mature media on its own would be fine :good:

I have fish in the tank right now for cycling. Didn't want to risk the shrimp!

You're getting good advice from GVG and everybody up there. Water changes (with good technique) are your friend. It is much more stressful to fish to experience the chemicals of ammonia and/or nitrite(NO2) than it is to experience a well-done water change. Ammonia, even in tiny amounts begins to cause permanent gill damage, while nitrite, even in tiny amounts, begins to cause permanent nerve and brain damage.

In smaller tanks it can work better to do somewhat smaller percentage water changes but to do them more often is possible. The return water should always be treated with a conditioner and roughly temperature matched (your hand is good enough for this.) Cycles often take between 30 and 70 days and the way you know they are over is when you can go two days without needed to change water but getting true zero readings for the toxins.

~~waterdrop~~

You're getting good advice from GVG and everybody up there. Water changes (with good technique) are your friend. It is much more stressful to fish to experience the chemicals of ammonia and/or nitrite(NO2) than it is to experience a well-done water change. Ammonia, even in tiny amounts begins to cause permanent gill damage, while nitrite, even in tiny amounts, begins to cause permanent nerve and brain damage.

In smaller tanks it can work better to do somewhat smaller percentage water changes but to do them more often is possible. The return water should always be treated with a conditioner and roughly temperature matched (your hand is good enough for this.) Cycles often take between 30 and 70 days and the way you know they are over is when you can go two days without needed to change water but getting true zero readings for the toxins.

~~waterdrop~~

Yep I know, thanks waterdrop. I'm a true worrier about everything! Going to do a 40% water change now. Will carry on with that until I get my test kits then I'll change the percentage accordingly :)

Most reactions

Back