Could You Add Lily Pads From A Lake To Your Aquarium?

Starletta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My husband and I were swimming at a lake yesterday and I noticed a bunch of Lily Pads.  I have some store bought plants in my tank, but they are pricey.

Could I add some of these lake Lily Pads to my tank?  My husband thought the risk of spreading parasites or disease wasn't worth the risk, so I didn't take any.   We swim there all the time, so I could get them if it is safe for my fish. Opinions?   Thank you. 

yes, but id quarantine them for a few weeks, or you can take the risk, they might be eggs on there, but lilys dont look very nice because the pads reach the surface and stay there try Barclaya longifolia  or Aponogeton or nymphaea 

Thanks, I thought about that later.  How would you quarantine them and for how long?   I'd like to get more Bamboo Shrimp and thought they might like sitting on top of the pads.  

I have lilies in my 55 gallon and it adds a beautiful effect with the lighting. I did have a large African lily with leaves of around 6 inches diameter. I found some smaller leaved lilies, around an inch in diameter taken from up north, (Maine) and put them in my tank. Beware - depending on what they are they may take a while to establish. Also, make sure if they have a bulb you don't damage it. And quarantine for a long while. You'll get insect larvae and bacteria and disease from that body of water. Watch out for mussels and other invasive species.

Also you'll need to get some kind of root mass with the lily. Chances are if you just cut off a pad it'll just break down. Plants like lillies like a rich substrate (root fertiliser tablets) and relatively strong lighting to go well.

TooManyChoices said:
Also you'll need to get some kind of root mass with the lily. Chances are if you just cut off a pad it'll just break down. Plants like lillies like a rich substrate (root fertiliser tablets) and relatively strong lighting to go well.
+1 Some just don't thrive in tanks.

I will say from my personal experience they create a huge mess. Pads get very large, roots take over, etc. is there room for a flower to go up and bloom or will it rot at the top near the light? Also they expand quickly and have constant pads that get replaced by stronger ones (lot of pruning). I love them but the minute it takes off... Ruh oh.

Most reactions

Back