Complete Noobie Exploring Unknown Territories

Having seen a Scarlet Hawk with a £120 angel the same size as it hanging out it's mouth at work, I'd beg to differ on the "scarlet hawks won't cause you any issues" line. Granted, when well fed and settled, you probably won't find them a threat to your clowns, but if you go away or miss a feed and the hawk gets hungry, the clowns could suddenly become on the menu. In part, it depends on the type of clowns, Maroon clowns or Tomato's would be fine as Adults, but commons or Percula clowns are easily small enough to become lunch if the Hawk takes a fancy to them... I told my supervisor at work not to put the angel in with the hawk BTW, but he didn't listen. Needless to say the boss wasn't happy when he found out what had happened to the expensive rare angel he'd ordered in specially for a regular customer...

nitrites and nitrates have been fine.. nitrates have risen to max 10ppm but that gets sorted on the water change, in terms of phosphate to be honest i have never tested for them

the gobies i want to rehome so lets take that out of the equation. i would like to rehome the sunfaced damsel as its on its own and i never see any aggression between the fishes apart from slight aggression now and again between the yellow tail and sunfaced damsel..

regarding the hawkfish i was thinking of the long nosed hawk... my current fishes are pretty much fully grown apart from the damsels..

there still fairly small at the moment.. the yellow tails though have great character.. there one of the coolest to watch IMO.. .

can i add a blood red fire shrimp with my cleaner shrimps.

Having seen a Scarlet Hawk with a £120 angel the same size as it hanging out it's mouth at work, I'd beg to differ on the "scarlet hawks won't cause you any issues" line. Granted, when well fed and settled, you probably won't find them a threat to your clowns, but if you go away or miss a feed and the hawk gets hungry, the clowns could suddenly become on the menu. In part, it depends on the type of clowns, Maroon clowns or Tomato's would be fine as Adults, but commons or Percula clowns are easily small enough to become lunch if the Hawk takes a fancy to them... I told my supervisor at work not to put the angel in with the hawk BTW, but he didn't listen. Needless to say the boss wasn't happy when he found out what had happened to the expensive rare angel he'd ordered in specially for a regular customer...

sorry to hijack the thread superman but rabbut what on earth was the dwarf angel at £120 bet it was a stunner. didnt think any dwarf angels were small enough for a hawk to eat or was a baby which would be strange

I keep blood shrimp with cleaners, peppermints and a pistol shrimp with no problem at all mate...they are shy though and appear out for food or at night mainly...still worth keeping though for their stunning blast of colour though

sorry to hijack the thread superman but rabbut what on earth was the dwarf angel at £120 bet it was a stunner. didnt think any dwarf angels were small enough for a hawk to eat or was a baby which would be strange

I recall it being a juvinile, possibly a Queen... This was about 6 months ago now, so cannot remember exactly what angel type it was...

Long-nosed Hawks have smaller bodies, and while their mouths open wide, they can't take as larger pray. Juvinile clowns would be at risk from an adult long-nosed, but most adult clowns should be safe :good:

All the best
Rabbut

EDIT to add, any Hawk will go after shrimp as far as I'm aware

I recall it being a juvinile, possibly a Queen... This was about 6 months ago now, so cannot remember exactly what angel type it was...

Long-nosed Hawks have smaller bodies, and while their mouths open wide, they can't take as larger pray. Juvinile clowns would be at risk from an adult long-nosed, but most adult clowns should be safe :good:

All the best
Rabbut

EDIT to add, any Hawk will go after shrimp as far as I'm aware

cool.. i saw a long nosed hawk at coventry aquatics and looked soo cool perching on a rock...

does anyone know of a dwarf octupus species... sorry for random question was just thinking (like i do) and thought that would look soo cool..

Don't put an octopus in there.

Octopus need a special aquarium with complete octopus proofing around it.

Octopus have been known to escape from tanks that were supposed to be octopus proof.

Not for the beginner.

Hello

ok it has been quite a while since i have last posted on here so thought i would do a quick update and show some more recent pictures

in terms of set up i had a clean around of the tank and scaped the tank to give a few more hiding places and i have to say the tank looks alot bigger now..

in terms of stocking i now have in the tank

0 fishes...

the fishes have suffered from white spot from a new emporer cardinal that i had brought about a week ago...
since then these fishes have died

emporer cardinal
1 clown
1 sunfaced damsel = total cost £63

i had to purchase a 80 litre QT tank and have placed a filter, and heater in there which cost be £30
i have removed fishes into the QT tank and have them currently placed in there dosing with Cuprazin and regurarly checking the copper

so fishes that i have now are

1 clown
2 yellow tailed damsels
1 flameback angel
1 chalk bass
1 randels goby
1 mandarin goby
1 engineer goby (which is on its last breaths)
3 coral catfishes (given by a mate)
1 foxface rabbit fish which is in here temporarily untill my mate has his new tank up and running..

currently in the main tank i have about 10 hermits, about 4 turbo snails, 1 emerald mithrax crab, 1 reef lobster

currently have no corals apart from some weird thing which has grown alot but couldnt identify it if it was Mojano or not.. i also have 3 mushrooms that i have noticed growning..

enjoy the pics..

just to note.. the fishes that are in the QT tank have 2 filters running on it.. one being and internal and one external which was on my main tank.. not all fishes are in there..

Attachments

• 21082009107.jpg
    21082009107.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 07082009085.jpg
    07082009085.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 07082009086.jpg
    07082009086.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 07082009088.jpg
    07082009088.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 12082009103.jpg
    12082009103.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 21082009104.jpg
    21082009104.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 21082009105.jpg
    21082009105.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 21082009106.jpg
    21082009106.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 21082009108.jpg
    21082009108.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 21082009110.jpg
    21082009110.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 21082009114.jpg
    21082009114.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 21082009116.jpg
    21082009116.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 116
oh thats good to hear.. i dropped the salt levels down a tad too to 1.020 although i lost my engineer goby a few hours ago... :-(

That's a shame. Lower salinity is the other way to stop WS, but it needs to be 1.016-1.018 to be effective ;)

All the best
Rabbut

heres a pic of my Randals and mandarin Goby...

its been very hard to take pics of these but since a few of my fishes sadly passed they have become more active and now come out alot more..

Attachments

• goobies.JPG
    goobies.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 104
  • stack_of_snails.JPG
    stack_of_snails.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 101

Octopus have been known to escape from tanks that were supposed to be octopus proof.

Not for the beginner.

Did anyone here the news story about about an octopus throwing rocks at the glass and spurting water at his lights which kept causing power cuts in a German public aquarium? It turns out he was bored because the aquarium was closed and there were no visitors lol.

Not for the beginner.

Did anyone here the news story about about an octopus throwing rocks at the glass and spurting water at his lights which kept causing power cuts in a German public aquarium? It turns out he was bored because the aquarium was closed and there were no visitors lol.

really??? lol ill have to google that.. i saw an octupus at world of water in bicester the other day.. priced at £100... looked pretty boring though to be honest..

[URL="http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1873"]http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...m.php?news=1873[/URL]

Most reactions

Back