Cold Cathode Moon Light

Warr40 said:
I just put a rotary switch on mine
now i can dim my CCFL anyway i want to.
[snapback]842719[/snapback]​

you've lost me - what would a rotary switch do?

smithrc - any idea what current these draw at 12V? I want to work out if the power supply I use for my fans would cope with these too. I'm debating cold cathode Vs LEDs with myself at the moment.

Thanks.

daza said:
smithrc - any idea what current these draw at 12V? I want to work out if the power supply I use for my fans would cope with these too. I'm debating cold cathode Vs LEDs with myself at the moment.

Thanks.
[snapback]857694[/snapback]​

I think they are 300ma... I'me supplying with a 400ma supply so its definaly not more than that (or the supply wouldnt cope)

I'll check back for the specs....

Does anyone elses converter box get really really hot?? :crazy:

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and thought I would show you the twist on how I use my cold cathode lights.

I built a little timer, with a light sensor. This detects when the main lights go off (use a normal plug in timer for the main lights) and then runs the night lights for two hours before turning off so the fish can sleep. The unit is then re-armed when the sensor detects the main lights coming back on the next day.

The timer is PIC based with the code written in JAL. The PIC drives a FET which is more than enough to run the lights. If I could work out how to attach images here I'll upload some.

Hi Malc-C, welcome to TFF!

Sounds like a good idea if you want to do it that way instead of a timer. PICs are absolutely excellent things for DIY circuits.

Something that occured to me in the past was to use a PIC to adjust the current to the LEDs (and hence brightness) over a programmed period. That period could be made to resemble the natural lunar cycle maybe (i.e. half-moon, full-moon, etc, etc). It could even simulate the moon's position in the sky by adjusting LEDs on each side of the tank differently (probably more effective in a larger tank but still a good project).

You'd have a head start with your circuit if you wanted to try it. I thought about it but don't really have the time.

edit:
To upload pics, choose a host (geocities, photo bucket (I think), etc) and then link to it using the 'IMG' button when you write a thread/reply.

daza said:
Hi Malc-C, welcome to TFF!

Sounds like a good idea if you want to do it that way instead of a timer. PICs are absolutely excellent things for DIY circuits.

Something that occured to me in the past was to use a PIC to adjust the current to the LEDs (and hence brightness) over a programmed period. That period could be made to resemble the natural lunar cycle maybe (i.e. half-moon, full-moon, etc, etc). It could even simulate the moon's position in the sky by adjusting LEDs on each side of the tank differently (probably more effective in a larger tank but still a good project).

You'd have a head start with your circuit if you wanted to try it. I thought about it but don't really have the time.

edit:
To upload pics, choose a host (geocities, photo bucket (I think), etc) and then link to it using the 'IMG' button when you write a thread/reply.
[snapback]882307[/snapback]​

Thanks for the welcome.

Interesting idea that, maybe for a next project or MKII version of the existing project.

Re uploading images, I take it that, unlike other forums you can't attach images to the post, you have to host them elsewhere and copy the URL in to the post using the IMG button.. :( Oh well I'll ftp them to my web site and update the thread

OK lets see if this works :)

This is the PCB I made housed in a small black box. The two LEDs provide a status of the sysem. When the main lights come on the Green LED comes on 5 seconds after to show its armed, then when the CCT lights are on the Red LED comes on and the Green LED flashes.

timer4.jpg

My tank is built into a wall with access under the stair cupboard, so my lights are mounted on a wooden batten. Here you can see the two 12" CCT fixed to the batten next to the two T5 Compacts

timer2.jpg

Here the above assembly is mounted abobe the tank

timer1.jpg

And finally with the main lights out ;)

timer5.jpg

Malc-C said:
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here and thought I would show you the twist on how I use my cold cathode lights.

I built a little timer, with a light sensor. This detects when the main lights go off (use a normal plug in timer for the main lights) and then runs the night lights for two hours before turning off so the fish can sleep. The unit is then re-armed when the sensor detects the main lights coming back on the next day.

The timer is PIC based with the code written in JAL. The PIC drives a FET which is more than enough to run the lights. If I could work out how to attach images here I'll upload some.
[snapback]882283[/snapback]​

Now thats a nice twist - even using a PIC - Blimey :)
I guess you have a programmer for them (DIY also probubly!)

smithrc said:
[snapback]883226[/snapback]​

One of the programmers I use is home made, based on a JDM programmer. The other two programmers are commercial ones. I must admit that I'm not that good on the programming and had a mate (mentor) to help me work things out with this thing.

Most of my PIC projects have been simple things like navigation lights for model helicopters and planes (my other passion). Have a look at my web site if you're interested www.micro-heli.co.uk and www.rc-electronics.net

I've been thinking about building some form of data logging system that stores the temperature of the tank, the water flow from an external filter (could have a pre set limit to trigger an alarm if it fell low) and possibly some form of contro for lights and or wave maker using powerheads or pumps ??

One other system that would be cool, would be an analizer that could read the API water tests to give the correct readings, especially their Nitrate test as to the naked eye, anything above 30ppm is red, red or er.. red :)

Malcolm

Malc-C said:
smithrc said:
[snapback]883226[/snapback]​

One of the programmers I use is home made, based on a JDM programmer. The other two programmers are commercial ones. I must admit that I'm not that good on the programming and had a mate (mentor) to help me work things out with this thing.

Most of my PIC projects have been simple things like navigation lights for model helicopters and planes (my other passion). Have a look at my web site if you're interested www.micro-heli.co.uk and www.rc-electronics.net

I've been thinking about building some form of data logging system that stores the temperature of the tank, the water flow from an external filter (could have a pre set limit to trigger an alarm if it fell low) and possibly some form of contro for lights and or wave maker using powerheads or pumps ??

One other system that would be cool, would be an analizer that could read the API water tests to give the correct readings, especially their Nitrate test as to the naked eye, anything above 30ppm is red, red or er.. red :)

Malcolm
[snapback]883417[/snapback]​

You could re-kindle my love for electronics here - I havent get my teeth into anything for ages. Have you heard of the PSoC devices from Cypress Semiconductor?

Most reactions

Back