Cold Cathode Moon Light

How many of you leave them on all night. I have my regular lights on a timer cause I fall asleep on the couch and don't turn it off, then my poor fish have to stay awake all night. So If I put these on a timer as well, I was thinking if we had the moonlight low enough to sleep we could leave it on all night???
KathyW

You could leave it on all night if you want but the point of moon lighitng is so you can view your noturnal fish and /or provide a kind of sunset for the fish rather than a on and off.

leaving it on all night is just a waste of electricity unless your up all night watching them.

Makes sense...do they take a lot of electricity? I leave my curio cabinets on all night, 24/7. I just like if I get up in the night having them act as sort of a night light... If it didn't bother the fish and didn't use much elec I would leave it on.

KathyW

gmang said:
if you go to canadian tire they sell a five led light string works great on my reef 14.99 canadian wiring included
What's the product #? I can't seem to find it...

Would I be able to us a 5v phone charger? Would 5v be bright enough, or should I just go get the AC-to-DC Adapter from Radioshack? Also, the ebay seller mentioned that the voltage is 620±10 V DC. So that means I can't over 10v, right? So I can't use a 12v adaptor?

I have the same tubes, and several old phone chargers to choose from. I have one from a game that varies from 3- 12 volt and a couple 6v from the phone. I tried to wire with each them, and nothing happened. Can you tell me a little more how you did that?
Thx
KathyW

Hi. I promised I'd put pictures up here when I finally got my cold cathode lights. The first lot I got were smashed, so I got a refund and bought some more. These ones are in one piece, so here is the finished product:

Moonlights2.jpg

And the tank:

Moonlights1.jpg

321e0da0.jpg

The pictures are awful, it really does look very good. It was certainly worth the two week's wait!

Thumbs up :thumbs: to the people at Ebuyer.com.

UPDATE: Please don't attach these with servo double sided tape like I did. I found out it ISN'T waterproof, and one of my lights was in the water this morning. Luckily its only 6volts, so nothing bad happened, and the light still worked... better think up a better way of attaching them...

Most reactions

Back