Cold Cathode Moon Light

tomsteer said:
Got my cathodes this morning, using the transformer off a rechargable drill atm but a universal adaptor is on the way, well chuffed, this is at 12v with blue cathodes, uv dont seen to illuminate the tank at all.
make sure the fish still sleep - we've dropped the voltage to 6V so the light is dimmer as we kept our fish awake for 2 days. :whistle:

Have just ordered my Cold Cathode tubes from Ebuyer ;)

Will fit them asap, and post up some pics !!

Actually ordered 3 sets, and 2 sets of the triple-LED lights to ;) 1 set of tubes for the tank, and the other lights will possibly be used in my car !!

Thanks for the guide on the moon lights its great. I was just wandering about the regulated AC/DC power supply. I have managed to fine a un-regilated power supply at my local DIY store and I was wandering if this would be OK to use?

Thanks.

I had a go

light2.jpg

Just got to tidy everything up really

norbie said:
yeah you might want to put a case on that computer ;)
nar

a voltage thing is on its way to me

I was just seeing what it looks like really :D

well i havent personally dipped mine into the tank to see, but it appears pretty water-safe

a bit of insultating tape around worry-areas is always good too! :)

Cute-n-Fury said:
this mite seem like a dumb questions but are the cold cathode tubes water proof or will they need covering? :D

Dan
the ones i bought are sealed in plastic

lol - i like to open plan PC look!

I hope you are getting an adjustable voltage supply as 12V is too bright.

We run 2 12" tubes over our 120l tank at 6V and its fine.

Have finally got round to fitting my 2 x 12" Cold Cathode's to my 4'6" tank ;)

Have used an old Nokia mobile phone charger as the power supply (10v), will see how that goes for now, if the fish don't sleep, then I'll have to source a lower voltage supply.

Here are a couple of pics of them in place and on. But being daytime at the mo, I can't get a good shot of them illuminating the tank (will do that tonight!)

Got the Cold Cathodes from Ebuyer for about £4 !!! :thumbs: and the power supply was FREE :D

Image006.jpg

Image007.jpg

Also painted the inside of the hood, in Silk White emulsion, to try and give that bit more reflection down into the tank ;)

Image017.jpg

Most reactions

Back