Changing from gravel to sand

just4kickx23

Reaction score
Simple question how long will the fish be ok to stay in in a bucket of tank water while i make the change. Im assuming a long time but just making sure.

I just changed my 46 gallon bowfront to sand tonight. I simply pulled out all of the structures except the main one my fish like most. took out half the gravel and vaccumed on that half...moved the structure over to the other side making sure not to crush snails or fish and as not to spook any of the ones inside. removed gravel and vaccumed on this side then started putting in my rinsed sand. i slowly filled half, moved the structure back and filled the other half. No casualties and minimal stress. good luck :thumbs:

also, i would turn off any filters while you pour the sand in.

I also have a 46g bowfront that I changed to sand - just over a week ago :p

I turned off the filter and then emptied the tank about half way, giving the gravel a good vaccuum while I did that. Then, I netted the fish and moved them into a brand new bucket filled about 3/4 of the way with tank water. It was a 5g bucket. I put an air diffuser on the end of one of my air tubes and stuck that in there with them too. Then, while the rest of the water was emptying I started scooping out the gravel (using a cup of some kind is way better than your hands!) and by the time there were only a couple inches of water, the gravel was all out. I'd already rinsed the first batch of sand really really really well and then just started putting the sand in. I had to make several trips to rinse out sand b/c I was doing it in a 5g bucket and wanted to do it really thoroughly. Got all the sand in, started filling the tank with water (mixing in the dechlorinator as I did it) and then put the fish in. I had put the main tank decorations in, but the water was really cloudy even with the good rinsing so I waited a few days for the cloud to clear to put the plants in.

I love the results :thumbs: My cories love me for it :p

If you oxygenate the water (air pump) you could keep the fish in there for quite a long time, depending on how many fish you tried to squeeze into one bucket. If you don't try to put too many into one bucket you could potentially keep them there for several days. Remember fish are shipped in little bags filled with water and pure oxygen, and are often in these bags at least one day. As long as you oxygenate your fish will be okay. And don't feed them in the bucket and try to avoid feeding them for a few hours prior to putting them in the bucket. Your fish will be fine for how long it should take to change from gravel to sand! Even if it takes you a couple hours.

\Dan

Most reactions

Back