Blue Acara

TATTIESCONE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys and Merry xmas to all
Im thinking of changing from malawis to something like the Blue Acaras
I know they get big obviously the bigger the tank the bigger they will potentionally grow to. but what is the average size anyone reckons they would get to in captive tanks
Thanks for any replys :good:

5-6" i think mate. If having a pair or hoping for pair then the female can take a bit of a battering when breeding. :/

The whole tank size thing is not just true for any fish :/

They will grow to as Minnt said 5-6 inches and are quite a rotund fish. What size tank is it you have?

Wills

Thanks for your replys guys
I have a 55 gal tank and also 2 smaller ones(20 gal)
Would i have to get say around 6 small Acaras and then wait till they pair off. Thanks

Yeah, thats the best way to do it. Are you set on Blue Acara's? Maybe look into some of the other Acara's available?

Thanks minnnt
I cant say ive really looked at any of the other acaras. good reply
I wont be able to reply for a while as ive got to go to the mother inlaws Oh the joys of xmas :unsure:

LOL!!

I'll let Wills talk you through different kinds as he knows a lot more than me :lol:

And yeah, the joys, we've got everyone coming to ours tonight! :crazy: :no: :-(

Minnnt kind of bigs me up too much haha!

Right so if were going for the 55 thats a good size whats the liters of that just so I know if we are working on US or UK gallons.

Next question, are you 100% on wanting breeding cichlids? American Cichlids can be kept as a community of singletons of unrelated species very successfully - but when you add in a breeding pair it actually throws up more issues than the singleton route.

A great book for reading up and pictures of species is - Pocket Professional Guide to Cichlids by David E. Boruchowitz

A good website is seriouslyfish.com, their knowledge base is great, good info and profiles.

I mention them as we can list off species but none of them will really tick your boxes should you go down the route of a singleton community.

So far as Acaras are concerned there are dozens of species some will be too big for your tank but there is a really nice sellection for you to choose from but I would be cautious of combining them simply because of the risk of hybrids but like I say lots of options :)

A quick list then - some are rare some more common, seeing you are in Scotland so not sure what your stockists but I know of a few places you could get them from via postage if your not opposed to the idea. The scientific names have recently been revised and I believe it is still on going so not 100% on whats under what name now but it was only in recent months so if you google the names it should still come up.

Right that list...

Blue Acara - actually 3 species that come under that name - Aequidens Pulcher, Aequidens Latifrons (aka Platinum Acara) and Aequidens Coerleous (aka Green Acara) all quite similar just different face markings and underlying highlight colour.

Yellow Acara - Aequidens Metae

Saddle Cichlid - Aequidens Patricki

Some of those may be classed under a group called Andinoacara now but not sure what is what yet really... and not all of them have properly been reclassified. There are other species like A.Diadema but they get a bit big for a 55.

Also worth mentioning are the slightly rarer Acaras that are around and the Dwarfs

The Dwarfs are Laetacaras, Dorsiger and Curviceps - though if you can get the rarer sp.Buckelkopf they are amazing. You also get the larger grouing L.Thayeri which could be tank mates for something like the Blue Acara - not 100% what would happen if you mixed the dwarfs with BAs.

There is also Krobia, Krobia sp. Rio Xingu Red Cheek are becoming more frequent all over the place atm and are a nice little fish I had some for a while but sold them on and wish I had not.

There are a group called Bujurquina but these are quite rare but if you can find them grab them.

There is also the Port Acara group which are pretty nice as well quite easy to find as well but IMO not all of the species are as attractive as above but worth a look.

If you went down the dwarf route you could also consider Keyhole Cichlids as well.

Maybe as an accompaniment to the Acara(s) you could look at Cupid Cichlids they do well as groups and are a great little mid sized cichlid :)

Hope that helps
Wills

Lmao! Haha, see, told you so!

Keyholes and Metae for me. Quite similar looking, but stunning none the less.

Thanks again wills & minnnt for your replys
Ive looked at the yellow acaras and the keyholes and some of the others you have mentioned but i am kind of drawn back to the blue acaras. i think its to do with their colouring which stands out from some of the others also their behaviour is meant to be okay according to what you read on the forums.
The only drawback i have with the blue acaras is their final size,some topics have them 6-8 inches others around the 6lnch mark
My tank is a 55 gal(220 litres) and the aim would be to have just the one pair in the tank once the process of pairing off took place between the original juveniles.
Cheers guys :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with that mate. Just be wary that males can be very aggressive to the female when breeding. 55g would be ok for a pair imo, but would limit your tank mate options. :/

Forgot to mention
Having bred some of my malawi chiclids i quite fancy breeding acaras where you can just leave most of the work to the fish, unlike malawis where you have to intervine if you want to keep the fry/:rolleyes:

Yeah most of the time it is usually easy, but sometimes you still have to intervene if you actually want them to survive.

No problems hope it helped a bit - are you just going to do the BAs by them selves? I woudlnt worry about the tank size I think 8 inch Blue Acaras would be a rare thing - but your plan sounds good :) - only thing I would be careful of is make sure you have a back up plan for moving the female or male if the male starts to get pushy with the female as its quite common to loose the female after breeding due to the male being aggressive.

Any plans where your going to get them from? Are you interested in getting wilds or F1s or just nice quality tank bred ones? Also have you thought about getting a mature breeding pair at all? They sometimes come up for sale if you look hard enough :)

Wills

My LFS has both Wilds and Tank bred ones in (Wharf Aquatics) i think there is about a quid difference in price.

James (Verminator89) had the best BA i had ever seen up for sale a few months ago... I was very tempted indeed.

Most reactions

Back