Black Backgrounds.

mattbleasby

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey there.

Im just wondering where i would go about getting a black background for my 60ltr planted.

I just want a simple black background or something similar to go on the back :) So the focus is on the fish and plants.

Are there any home DIY ideas? or where can i buy them...

I dont want to paint my tank, just a heads up before you recommend tank paint :)

Thanks.

I use bin liners on my tanks; cheap and easy. You could use a sheet of black card or paper from a craft shop, or there are laminated ones you can buy by the foot or metre on Ebay

I use bin liners on my tanks; cheap and easy. You could use a sheet of black card or paper from a craft shop, or there are laminated ones you can buy by the foot or metre on Ebay

How do you use bin liners? Got any pics of yours on your tank? Thanks :D Might have to take this up with your advice on how too ;) :good:

Well, this is how it looks (I've moved mine now to give it more of a 'crinkled' look rather than the 'stretched')

091010011208.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

I've stuck mine on with sellotape or, because it's so light, you can just wedge it in behind. I cut the bags so I've got one large sheet.

I just added some bin liner too the back of mine, and i have too say it looks awesome "But" its abit too shiny for my liking, so think ill go to a craft shop and get a large peice of black card and cut it too size :lol:

Although for now this looks awesome,

Your Aquarium really suits that, i like the crinkled look :)

Yes, matte bin bag would look awesome, lol. Thanks for the compliment on my tank; it's changed a little bit since then and is fully stocked now :)

I think all round your tank is awesome. Looks sweet :d:D I love the wood :)

most of the backgrounds iv seen in aquatic shops are plain black or dark blue on the other side thats what i use.

most of the backgrounds iv seen in aquatic shops are plain black or dark blue on the other side thats what i use.

Yep thats what i got in the end. Take a look at my tank Click me. Its a topic on this forum, I have it on the Black side, as i think the blue as abit too much blue lol

I got a length of black fleece and cut it to fit all of my tanks. It's inexpensive and easy to use, no shine or glare.

Call me stupid (if you have to) but how do you permanently secure a piece of fabric to a tank? I thought the weight would be too much.

I'd call it mostly permanent! I just tuck it behind the filters and tape the corners. So far, so good. And it looks GREAT. I really like it because it makes it look like the back of the tank goes on to infinity.

Has anyone used a mirror background? Just wondering if it would look good. Seems like it would make your take look double in size and fish.
unsure.gif

Since you already have fish in the tank its kinda out of the question, but i was really pleased with how matte spray paint looked. You have to be really careful to get the right kind of spray paint. On my acrylic ten gallon I used Krylon Fusion Spray Paint.

On my other tank i have black paper though, so that's a pretty good option too.

Most reactions

Back