Betta Still Acting Off

There is an inherent problem with ammonia "locking" type products

The additive essentially "locks" the ammonia into the filter media, it doesn't neutralise it per se and in locking it into the media, it then prevents the good bacteria needed to keep ammonia and other contaminants under control actually dealing with that ammonia and thus growing in numbers to prevent spikes in the future

Ammo Lock et al are purely gimmickery designed to make you part with your money.

As has been said already, water changes are far healthier for your fish and all other living beings, including the necessary good bacteria.

They would say that because they want you to spend money buying their products.

The best remedy for ammonia in the water is water changes.
I just did a 20% change. I made sure the temp was the same as the tank. Is there a timeframe to when he should start feeling better? I don’t want him suffering. He used to be so happy and active.

I just did a 20% change. I made sure the temp was the same as the tank. Is there a timeframe to when he should start feeling better? I don’t want him suffering. He used to be so happy and active.
20% won't do much. Do an 75-80% change, vacuum the substrate and repeat each day until levels (check before change) are at zero.

Oh okay. I’ll go do that now!
So I read it wrong and checked after. Should I be concerned that it is now at 1.0 or should I check it in a couple hours? I’m trying my best to not freak out. This poor fish deserves better than being poisoned by this stupid water. 😩

I believe that newly treated tap water with chloramine will give false ammonia readings. If you have treated water, you will reduce the levels by the amount of water changed. Check today.

This still looks like 1.0 right? I did 70-75% water change yesterday. I’m using Top Fin Betta Water Conditioner. I have a filter. I just don’t understand. Should I try to find him a new owner that can help save him?? I have been trying for weeks and he’s not getting better. I don’t want him suffering. Anyone have advise on rescues for bettas? I could only find one in Chicago online and that’s not near me.

Attachments

• 215D80C3-8498-4ABF-AC12-877520B25AA6.jpeg
    215D80C3-8498-4ABF-AC12-877520B25AA6.jpeg
    278.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 877C04DB-2780-453F-B989-CD68C410A781.jpeg
    877C04DB-2780-453F-B989-CD68C410A781.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 26
Continue daily WCs until ammonia/nitrite are both at zero. Reduce feeding amount, you can even skip a day, 2 on, 1 off.

What are your other parameters?

Continue daily WCs until ammonia/nitrite are both at zero. Reduce feeding amount, you can even skip a day, 2 on, 1 off.

He doesn’t eat anymore so I’ve just been doing a couple pellets once a week. He doesn’t even try to go for them. 😩

pH 6.8
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

It appears your tank is not cycled, frequent large water changes are your friend, do not clean your filter.

It appears your tank is not cycled, frequent large water changes are your friend, do not clean your filter.
Ok. I’m just concerned he’s dying slowly and painfully and that hurts my heart for him. I’ll keep trying. I did switch him from a 3 gallon to 10 gallon and had to get a bigger filter

Ok. I’m just concerned he’s dying slowly and painfully and that hurts my heart for him. I’ll keep trying. I did switch him from a 3 gallon to 10 gallon and had to get a bigger filter
Did you put the old media in the new filter?

Most reactions

Back