Attachments

• IMG_9666.png
    IMG_9666.png
    425.5 KB · Views: 18
Yeah I like this website a lot over other ones I checked out. The experts on this site are very knowledgeable, helpful, and diplomatic. Other sites I been to I found to be a bit overwhelming with trolls. This site said they had to ban trolls in the past for their behavior and that was good news to hear. LOL

A great feature on the site is the search. Any information you want, you can search for past posts that will have that information.
Yes I agree I either find conflicting articles or trolls as you’ve said lots of sarcasm and no real answer to people’s questions which is awful at the end of the day people reaching out for advice is the sensible thing to do and I felt too intimidated on others sites especially as I’m new to this and still learning and only advice o can get is local fish store. I didn’t realise this site banned trolls very good though I don’t get the mentality of people trolling especially as sometimes people are stressed already due to fish illnesses or water quality issues. Ooh 😮 really I will definitely be taking a look I’ve been trying to do these calculations for fish I’m absolutely gob smacked the amount it’s saying I can stock in my size aquarium. Obviously my local fish store are aware of what I’m buying: keeping but it’s saying I can have only a few angels and discus I’m debating if I need a bigger tank

Attachments

• IMG_9675.png
    IMG_9675.png
    363.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9676.png
    IMG_9676.png
    309.5 KB · Views: 21
The disease will be in the tank and the easiest way to prevent it from infecting other fish is to do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week after a fish dies. Then do it once or twice a week after that. The big water changes and gravel cleaning dilutes the disease organisms in the water and gives the fish the best chance of living with small numbers of pathogens.

I am only running my 407 filter with my 65-gallon(~239 liters) tank, and that is plenty for me. It is a very well-made and powerful filter. It has 4 internal baskets for bio-media, etc. My fish load in the 65 gallon tanks is not high, I have two Corys, 4 Denison Barbs, and a good sized discus.
Aww you have corys what type? How large are they? I’d love to have them but I’ve heard they grow very large and won’t get on with my bristle nose pleco. You do find the 407 better than 307 then? I need to go speak to my LFS discuss my overstocking concerns and see what’s best option extra filtration, tank upgrade or dare I say it new tank 🙈 I already I have two one cold water one tropical and a quarantine tank 🤦🏼‍♀️ do I really want another I have seen to keep upto 10 discus you ideally need 75 gallons mine 55 ☹️

The disease will be in the tank and the easiest way to prevent it from infecting other fish is to do big water changes and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week after a fish dies. Then do it once or twice a week after that. The big water changes and gravel cleaning dilutes the disease organisms in the water and gives the fish the best chance of living with small numbers of pathogens.
Hi Colin okay I will keep on top of this having a nightmare trying to get a tap adapter to fit my mixer tap as I cannot remove the faucet. My LFS have said to look online but it’s a nightmare it an inch in diameter but radius is nearly 4 😭 don’t suppose you have any suggestions? My LFS said he use to sell them but he had difficulty getting them from supplier. Would you possibly know a website or brand? I have a fluval pro vac as well as syphons will have to do do a minute, plumbers advised me to cut pipers under sink and attach hoses that was but my LFS reckon it will not work because you need water pressure from taps. I’m debating changing my mixer tap as now I now I’m over stocked I need to be doing more heavy water changes

Attachments

• IMG_9565.jpeg
    IMG_9565.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9561.jpeg
    IMG_9561.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9564.jpeg
    IMG_9564.jpeg
    379.1 KB · Views: 16
Also Colin could I ask from what I’ve seen is there any particular diseases or parasites you would suspect in this case?

Many Thanks

Also Colin could I ask from what I’ve seen is there any particular diseases or parasites you would suspect in this case?

Many Thanks
Probably a Hexamita or another type of protozoan infection in the fish's intestine.

Discus fed a lot of meat based foods are more prone to this, as well as tanks with a high biolode (lots of fish, and gunk in the tank, gravel and filter).

Hi Colin okay I will keep on top of this having a nightmare trying to get a tap adapter to fit my mixer tap as I cannot remove the faucet. My LFS have said to look online but it’s a nightmare it an inch in diameter but radius is nearly 4 😭 don’t suppose you have any suggestions? My LFS said he use to sell them but he had difficulty getting them from supplier. Would you possibly know a website or brand? I have a fluval pro vac as well as syphons will have to do do a minute, plumbers advised me to cut pipers under sink and attach hoses that was but my LFS reckon it will not work because you need water pressure from taps. I’m debating changing my mixer tap as now I now I’m over stocked I need to be doing more heavy water changes
What are you trying to do?
Why do you need a tap adapter?

If you have a tap mixer near the tank, are there any normal taps in the house you can connect something to?

If this is to run a Fluval pro vac, return it and buy a basic model gravel cleaner and a garden hose. Or make a home made gravel cleaner out of a hose and plastic drink bottle, (see directions below).

The following link has a picture of a gravel cleaner. That's all you need. If you connect a garden hose or plastic hose (available from a hardware store) to the gravel cleaner, you can run the hose out the door onto the lawn or garden and drain the dirty tank water straight outside. Then run some clean tap water through the hose for a couple of minutes and fill some buckets up, dechlorinate them and add the water to the tank.

For big tanks, get a couple of big plastic storage containers and have them near the aquarium. Fill them with water from the hose. Add dechlorinater. Let it aerate for 5-30 minutes. Then use a small water pump and hose to pump the water from the containers into the aquarium. You can make a U out of pvc pipe and put it on the end of the hose coming off the pump. Hang the U over the side of the aquarium so you can turn the pump on and off.

-------------------

HOME MADE GRAVEL CLEANER
To make a gravel cleaner, get a 1, 1.5 or 2 litre plastic drink bottle (like a plastic bottle of Coca Cola). Cut the bottom off the bottle and throw the bottom bit in the recycling bin. Remove the cap and plastic ring from the top and throw those two bits in the recycling. That is the gravel cleaner done.

Get a garden hose or length of hose from a hardware store and attach it to the top of the bottle. Run the hose out onto the lawn. Use the bottle to gravel clean the substrate and drain the tank. Then fill it up.

I used a 2 litre bottle and a clear plastic hose that fitted over the top of the bottle, to drain my tanks. I could gravel clean and drain a 4x2x2ft aquarium in a couple of minutes. If you want to drain it slower, use a garden hose and put the hose inside the top of the bottle, and it will take longer to drain the water out because it's a smaller diameter hose.

Probably a Hexamita or another type of protozoan infection in the fish's intestine.

Discus fed a lot of meat based foods are more prone to this, as well as tanks with a high biolode (lots of fish, and gunk in the tank, gravel and filter).
Hi @Colin_T

Apologies for the late reply I’ve been flat out past week and unwell. I’m glad you told me that I’m trying to get my other fish to now ear pellets and cut back on frozen food. I’ve also taken @Fishfunn advice and purchased a 407 filter I’m running it alongside my 307 and internal filter. And do smaller partial water changes to keep up on waste. Got some silver sand and rearranged tank with large water change fingers crossed 🤞🏼 all my other discus seem well so far. Some are still fussy will only eat the frozen 🤦🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• IMG_9720.jpeg
    IMG_9720.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9714.jpeg
    IMG_9714.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9734.jpeg
    IMG_9734.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9936.jpeg
    IMG_9936.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 18
What are you trying to do?
Why do you need a tap adapter?

If you have a tap mixer near the tank, are there any normal taps in the house you can connect something to?

If this is to run a Fluval pro vac, return it and buy a basic model gravel cleaner and a garden hose. Or make a home made gravel cleaner out of a hose and plastic drink bottle, (see directions below).

The following link has a picture of a gravel cleaner. That's all you need. If you connect a garden hose or plastic hose (available from a hardware store) to the gravel cleaner, you can run the hose out the door onto the lawn or garden and drain the dirty tank water straight outside. Then run some clean tap water through the hose for a couple of minutes and fill some buckets up, dechlorinate them and add the water to the tank.

For big tanks, get a couple of big plastic storage containers and have them near the aquarium. Fill them with water from the hose. Add dechlorinater. Let it aerate for 5-30 minutes. Then use a small water pump and hose to pump the water from the containers into the aquarium. You can make a U out of pvc pipe and put it on the end of the hose coming off the pump. Hang the U over the side of the aquarium so you can turn the pump on and off.

-------------------

HOME MADE GRAVEL CLEANER
To make a gravel cleaner, get a 1, 1.5 or 2 litre plastic drink bottle (like a plastic bottle of Coca Cola). Cut the bottom off the bottle and throw the bottom bit in the recycling bin. Remove the cap and plastic ring from the top and throw those two bits in the recycling. That is the gravel cleaner done.

Get a garden hose or length of hose from a hardware store and attach it to the top of the bottle. Run the hose out onto the lawn. Use the bottle to gravel clean the substrate and drain the tank. Then fill it up.

I used a 2 litre bottle and a clear plastic hose that fitted over the top of the bottle, to drain my tanks. I could gravel clean and drain a 4x2x2ft aquarium in a couple of minutes. If you want to drain it slower, use a garden hose and put the hose inside the top of the bottle, and it will take longer to drain the water out because it's a smaller diameter hose.
Hi @Colin_T

No I have a fluval gravel vac that I can just plug in I wanted to use a python hose do you have them in Australia? They empty and refill aquarium I’ve given up on adapters I’ve had a plumber around I’ve ordered a new tap he’s got to install for me so I can remove faucet and use hose to keep up my water changes (larger water changes) due to waste etc my current tap below and new tap ordered. I will definitely look into the link and try your suggestions as it’s not being installed until next week 🤦🏼‍♀️ the things we do for our fish 🐠 because we love them

Attachments

• IMG_9852.jpeg
    IMG_9852.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9954.png
    IMG_9954.png
    588.9 KB · Views: 8

Most reactions

Back