Betta Still Acting Off

Infrared temp guns are a bit of overkill, for fishkeeping purposes....IMO.... ;)
we jsut have one for measuring everything, i think it's pretty accurate, and versatile since it does nto get dirty

we jsut have one for measuring everything, i think it's pretty accurate, and versatile since it does nto get dirty
When used properly, the good ones are very accurate, but IMO, less pricey alternatives work just as well

At any rate, back on topic...

Well, that was convenient

Don't clean with any type of detergent or soap, use hot water and plain white vinegar...after cleaning the tank and rinsing thoroughly, be sure to do a leak test outdoors before attempting to use it inside your house

Place the tank on a sturdy, level surface, in a location where water leaks won't harm anything, fill to the top, and let it sit for a few hours, to see if you detect any leaks...tanks stored outdoors will many times lose the water-tight seal when the silicone degrades

If it leaks in the least bit, don't use it

Let us know how it goes
Ok will do. I don’t know how long it’s been out there. It was in a corner I was cleaning out to move a table into. Probably a couple years. I hope it isn’t a leaker. 🥺 I’m sure in the past I have cleaned with dawn dish soap, will that still be bad or will the vinegar kill anything from the soap? I don’t want him hurting more than he is, if he’s hurting.

I'd just use vinegar and a clean scrub brush.

One of the corners is leaking 😩 Guess I need to throw this tank away and get a new one. I had no idea being outside would mess with it!

One of the corners is leaking 😩 Guess I need to throw this tank away and get a new one. I had no idea being outside would mess with it!
Yep, the silicone will degrade under certain temps...trash it...new ones aren't very pricey

Me again. I have moved my betta to a new tank. I made sure the temp of the water was the same as his old tank. He went from the 3 gallon to a 10 gallon. I added more hiding places for him. He’s still not a happy camper. My water test kit is supposed to be here tomorrow. What do I want my levels at? He’s been like this now for weeks and I’ve tried so many things. I feel awful for him.

Me again. I have moved my betta to a new tank. I made sure the temp of the water was the same as his old tank. He went from the 3 gallon to a 10 gallon. I added more hiding places for him. He’s still not a happy camper. My water test kit is supposed to be here tomorrow. What do I want my levels at? He’s been like this now for weeks and I’ve tried so many things. I feel awful for him.
0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes, and nitrates below 20 PPM

I posted help to read the results and looks like I have 0.50 ammonia. I added ammolock per the directions in the water test kit. Will he be okay after I treat the water? Or has he been in it too long?

I posted help to read the results and looks like I have 0.50 ammonia. I added ammolock per the directions in the water test kit. Will he be okay after I treat the water? Or has he been in it too long?
What test kit contains ammolock?

They would say that because they want you to spend money buying their products.

The best remedy for ammonia in the water is water changes.

Most reactions

Back