Betta looking so much better :)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

He still has not eaten. Do you think he would be receptive to the garlic soaked food? I'm not sure he could swim to it unless it landed right on top of his mouth.

Essjay mentioned to me that fish can go up to two weeks without food. I absolutely don't want to make Hank go that long, but I trust that that means we have time to figure out what works in terms of feeding him, and to find out what's bothering him. I think it may be my water, but at this point I don't even know how to start looking for everything I need to know

He still has not eaten. Do you think he would be receptive to the garlic soaked food? I'm not sure he could swim to it unless it landed right on top of his mouth.

Essjay mentioned to me that fish can go up to two weeks without food. I absolutely don't want to make Hank go that long, but I trust that that means we have time to figure out what works in terms of feeding him, and to find out what's bothering him. I think it may be my water, but at this point I don't even know how to start looking for everything I need to know

What are your water quality results? Particularly ammonia and nitrite?
Have you got a pipette, or a syringe where you could (gently!) Squirt some live or frozen bloodworms near to him?

Definitely do a large water change.

I do not have my ammonia test kit yet, and my testing strips have consistently revealed nitrite to be 0, though I've heard they may be innacurate. I did a 50% water change earlier, but when you say large water change do you mean even larger?

I will likely be performing another water change this evening as, maybe this is just seeing things from wishful thinking, it does seem to reduce the labor on his breaths

I do not have my ammonia test kit yet, and my testing strips have consistently revealed nitrite to be 0, though I've heard they may be innacurate. I did a 50% water change earlier, but when you say large water change do you mean even larger?

I will likely be performing another water change this evening as, maybe this is just seeing things from wishful thinking, it does seem to reduce the labor on his breaths

No, if you've done a 50% change already, there's no need to do larger ones now, but if the water changes are help in his breathing, it's a good indication that this could be toxin related.

Maybe do another 25% water change later on, but by all means, wait and see what the consensus is.

Come on, Hank! We're all routing for you and your human.

I would really like to see a picture of the whole tank and a close up of his body.

When people usually say, “Large” they mean 50%+.

No, if you've done a 50% change already, there's no need to do larger ones now, but if the water changes are help in his breathing, it's a good indication that this could be toxin related.

Maybe do another 25% water change later on, but by all means, wait and see what the consensus is.

Come on, Hank! We're all routing for you and your human.
Toxin as is Ammonia or Nitrite? I was thinking the same thing.

Do you have your Nitrite Test Kit yet?

Personally, I suspect ammonia, but it could be either, or both.
Ammonia is more toxic to fish than nitrite is, so my best guess it Ammonia poisoning. Of course, this usually caused red spots near the gills and clamped fins.

It could be a mixture of both, as you said.

It's possible it's ammonia poisoning, and since I don't have the kit yet I definitely don't want to rule it out. I don't know if the tetra safestart took when I put it in the tank, and since it's uncycled that would mean the only way the ammonia was being taken out of it is through water changes. If it was ammonia, are water changes my only option right now?

Currently Hank is completely hidden in a hollow under his bridge. From the angle it's at I can't get a good look inside it unless I move the hide, but I can see the edge of his fin barely sticking out. If he moves I will see if I can get closeups

His tank is not cycled so he is in toxic water. Only thing you can do is daily water changes of 75%. Add Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator. He should perk up. Give it time and quit 2nd guessing things. I have been raising bettas for a long time and currently have 7 of them. Please, get an API Freshwater test kit immediately. We’re here for you. Get him some frozen bloodworms to eat as I said yesterday. You can buy them at your fish store . Thaw a couple and with tweezers, dangle them in front of his mouth.

Note: add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons of water the first day after 75% water change. Be sure the salt is dissolved in a little tank water before adding or it will sting the fish. After first day add 3/4 tablespoon of aquarium salt with each 75% water change. The salt improves gill function and reduces stress. It is also a mild antiseptic which will keep his red spot clean. Do all of these things and he should be fine. I hope you choose to take my advice ...wishing you the best.

Last edited:
His tank is not cycled so he is in toxic water. Only thing you can do is daily water changes of 75%. Add Seachem Prime as your dechlorinator. He should perk up. Give it time and quit 2nd guessing things. I have been raising bettas for a long time and currently have 7 of them. Please, get an API Freshwater test kit immediately. We’re here for you. Get him some frozen bloodworms to eat too.
I agree with everything said above. Please try to get the API master freshwater test kit. If you can’t afford it, ask you mom to chip in and tell her you will pay her back later.

I will definitely take your advice! Is the salt calculation based on the volume of the whole tank, or the volume of the water itself? Also, when you say the first day after and then with each water change, do you mean the first time after WC wait a day to add, then do salt with each WC after that? Thank you so much! I will be looking into places to find bloodworms immediately as well as for sure the test kit!

I use it for the total volume of the whole tank, as do most big companies.

Yes, do a water change today, then tomorrow add the salt.

If you get the salt today, go ahead and add 1 tablespoon per ever 5 gallons of water if you did the 75% water change today. Salt doesn’t dissipate so tomorrow you will only add 3/4 tablespoon per every 5 gallons of water after your 75% water change. Do this for 2 weeks. We’ll see how he’s doing then and see how your cycle is coming along too. :). Base your salt on size of your tank.

Last edited:
If you get the salt today, go ahead and add 1 tablespoon per ever 5 gallons of water if you did the 75% water change today. Salt doesn’t dissipate so tomorrow you will only add 3/4 tablespoon per every 5 gallons of water after your 75% water change. Do this for 2 weeks. We’ll see how he’s doing then and see how your cycle is coming along too. :). Base your salt on size if your tank.
Do I need specifically aquarium salt? If not I have himalayan pink salt.

Also, I had to attend my classes so I couldn't watch hank during them. They just finished and I went to check on him and he's lying on his side gasping so hard it's shaking his whole body. Video coming. Is another water change what I need to do right now?

Edit: the video

Most reactions

Back