Bensons New Tank

Looking good Benson :good: Hope to learn along with you about sumps - you are not the only one that it goes straight over head :crazy: going to have to look at those drawings again :blush:

Seffie x

:fish:

They arent too hard. all you have to do is think about what you want in the sump and imagine how the water will flow through it

that would probably work gary...good thinkin!

Yup then use them two bits of glass for a DSB with eaither cheato or live rock rubble, its not the best sump idea but thats how i would do it!

The only bad idea would probley be bubbles getting sucked up the return pump as its falling down , so i would just have the sump sat on a home made egg crate stand so the bubbles dont get suckd up as easy!!

Cheers for the replys everyone!

I guess the first port of call for me is to find out which one of those 2 baffles actually goes to the bottom of the tank lol

So assuming that i get the water flow correct (by using Garys idea) will the sump do its job as it is? I would rather replace the baffles and have it set up so it is most effective.

Looking good Benson :good: Hope to learn along with you about sumps - you are not the only one that it goes straight over head :crazy: going to have to look at those drawings again :blush:

Seffie x

Glad its not just me! lol. Between DSB's, baffles, LR, Cheato, bio bollox....my head is spinning!! ????

Seffie x

Glad its not just me! lol. Between DSB's, baffles, LR, Cheato, bio bollox....my head is spinning!! ????

and what the heck is a baffle - thought if you had a baffle on something it was to keep it quiet - gawd I expect I have embaressed myself here :blush:

seffie x

hehehe, least i do know the rest phew :good:

haha what, even the bio bollox? haha

the baffles are the glass seperators in the sump (i think haha)

Cheers for the replys everyone!

I guess the first port of call for me is to find out which one of those 2 baffles actually goes to the bottom of the tank lol

So assuming that i get the water flow correct (by using Garys idea) will the sump do its job as it is? I would rather replace the baffles and have it set up so it is most effective.

If you want and if it was me , i would get ride of the two small bits and add another slightley smaller then the 2nd baffle from the right and also block the hole in the 1st baffle

thats running the water the other way (the way i 1st stated)

this just mean you can have a bigger dsb/refuigum

If you want to remove the baffles, use some really high-purity alcohol or isopropyl alcohol. If you can find something like 90%+ the silicone will come off much faster :)

Have a look at melevsreef.com for some sump tank designs :)

Cheers for the answers people....i had a look at the baffles last night and i got the drawing slightly wrong. I will update it in a bit and post it up.

Cheers,

Phil

Morning all!

I just found this...its my sump! Sump page

And it shows me how it is intended to be set up:

mmudsetup.jpg

1. Pour water into the filter and let Miracle Mud settle to the bottom. (Approximately 2-3 hours).
2. After Miracle Mud has settled, remove any floating particles.
3. Turn on pump at a recommended flow rate of 1000 - 2000 GPH ( Gallons per Hour).
4. Allow water to completely cycle through filter (6-8 weeks for new aquariums or until ammonia levels are undetectable). Add caulerpa algae during second week of cycling.
5. After cycling period, quarantined fishes and corals may be introduced into the aquarium.

To continue successful maintenance of your marine aquarium system, it is recommended that you add or exchange an appropriate amount of Miracle

mm3.jpg

Can anybody see any issues with this? Only issue i have with this is that i have heard the majority of people saying dont use bio balls. Which is unfortunate as i have a huge bucket full of them!! Anyhow, what can i replace the bio balls with?

I did not use my Bio balls in my refugium either.

The flow looks much better and will work through that.

Personally I would use Chaetomorpha instead of Caulerpa (it can go sexual and is not good).

Otherwise that seems much better than the earlie diagram.

I did not use my Bio balls in my refugium either.

The flow looks much better and will work through that.

Personally I would use Chaetomorpha instead of Caulerpa (it can go sexual and is not good).

Otherwise that seems much better than the earlie diagram.

Its amazing what a bit of research can do for you isnt it! Luckily the chap i bought the tank off is really helpful and called me at the weekend to tell me to google it as there were articles online...and he wasnt wrong.

So...that design, with cheato instead will do the job?? Im happy with that!

Most reactions

Back