Ask Questions About Cycling

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's back where it needs to be.  Hopefully the bacteria bounce back quickly, and thing continue to progress.

Even if ammonia reaches 0 tomorrow, do not add more.

eaglesaquarium said:
That's back where it needs to be.  Hopefully the bacteria bounce back quickly, and thing continue to progress.

Even if ammonia reaches 0 tomorrow, do not add more.
 After about a day i just tested again. My levels were:
Ammonia:  .5ppm (was 3ppm)
Nitrite:  0-.25ppm (was 0ppm)
Nitrate:40ppm      (was 10ppm)
pH: 7.6                 (Constant)

Your cycle is closing in on being done.  :clap:

Sit tight for another 24 hours.  Then redose 3ppm IF ammonia is zero and Nitrite is below 2ppm.

eaglesaquarium said:
Your cycle is closing in on being done. 
applaud.gif.gif

Sit tight for another 24 hours.  Then redose 3ppm IF ammonia is zero and Nitrite is below 2ppm.
Perfect haha, Thank you so much, I assume they will both be under those levels considering they are right now

Dandx13 said:

Your cycle is closing in on being done. 
applaud.gif.gif

Perfect haha, Thank you so much, I assume they will both be under those levels considering they are right now

Just curious, how many days in are you?

I'm doing a fishless cycle on a 90 gallon tank the system I currently cycling over 1,000 gph can that be causing my nitrates level to go down?

No.  Nitrates don't decrease due to water agitation or circulation.  They decrease because of:

1 - water changes (physically removing the water and replacing with water without as much nitrate)
2 - plants use it (plants use nitrates in the tank as a source of nitrogen)
3 - denitrification (there are certain bacteria that actually will break down in 'anaerobic' environments into nitrogen gas and oxygen). 

Have you done water changes?

Do you have a lot of plants?

Do you have areas with little to no water flow which creates the anaerobic environments necessary for the proper denitrification bacteria?

More than likely you are getting false nitrate readings as its the least accurate test and has the highest chance of mistesting.

I am using the api test kit the other day I got a reading of 160 ppm for nitrates then later on that same day got a reading of 20ppm. I have no plants in the tank I don't really know what you mean by little to no water flow but the tank is all the way full and I have two canisters filter they both have mechanical and biological filtration

Meaning the only place that the anaerobic conditions that would allow for the proper bacteria for denitrification is places where there is virtually no flow of water... which doesn't sound like your tank.

My money is still on a faulty test.

Chances are the solutions aren't being properly mixed prior to testing.  That gives false low readings.

I'm mixing it correctly put 10 drops mix shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds put 10 drops in mix for 1 minute let stand for 5 any ideas on the nitrite test when I put in the 5 drops the bottom of the test tube is dark purple but when I mix the test it goes from like a light black to blue

That's 'off the scale'.

Yes it is after performing a large water change like may 90%;I was able to get an accurate reading in the nitrites I think it was between 1ppm and 2ppm I'm not too sure yet about the nitrates I'm still getting a reading of 5.0 who know maybe it's also accurate know that I did the water change thanks a lot for your help and input

Holy mackerel!
 My head is spinning. Partly cause I'm so bran-spankin' new at this fishy thing, and partly because I have always suspected that I have some sort of attention problem when it comes to reading and absorbing information. - you think I'm kidding, but I'm not. lol
To save one time I will try to convince you that I understand the basics of, well, the basics! Ammonia, from "decomposing" (plants and fish poo -hehe), turns to nitrite, which turns to nitrate? So we are trying to level out the amount made so that there is a balanced/healthy cycle.. yes?.. - Don't laugh.. I just had my first child. She's 7months, and is absorbing my brain:) besides that sitting at a computer makes me antsy :p

I think I'm struggling because I've already started this process -or thought I started this process?, but now I'm questioning my entire set up. I have a 29 gal aquarium. I purchased the API master kit and some Nutrafin cycle along with some Start Right by Jungle. I filled, decorated, and added my plants to the tank, started the filter and added my Start Right, and then added the first "dose" of the Nutrafin cycle. This morning I added the second required amount. I did not check my pH levels prior to this process.
I did, however, check the pH this morning, it is at or around 8.2-8.0 - looks like it's closer to 8.2. I also checked my tap water and the pH was 6.8-7.0 (looks closer to 6.8). My ammonia was not quite 0ppm, but not 0.25ppm. Nitrite seemed to be at 0ppm. So now that I've royally confused myself with all this... what do I need to do? Is everything looking good?
The tank is at 78/79 degrees and has slight agitation/flow from the filter. I feel like it needs more so i will either lower the water, or put in my little air stone. - unless the air stone is a bad idea? (it's just a bit easier). 

OH! and what spiked this second guessing myself was the Nutrafin cycle. It "says" that once used your tank is ready for immediate introduction of fish. Really? Does it require fish? Does it work better with fish?
Or can I continue doing the cycle 'fishless' and get the best results and the most stable environment for my little buddies?
If anyone can make sense of my mindless babble and can kindly lead me in the right direction and put my mind at ease I would much appreciate it:)
Thanks in advanced!
-Phan.

Phaneric said:
 Ammonia, from "decomposing" (plants and fish poo -hehe), turns to nitrite, which turns to nitrate? So we are trying to level out the amount made so that there is a balanced/healthy cycle.. yes?.. - Don't laugh.. I just had my first child. She's 7months, and is absorbing my brain:) 

I know exactly what you mean.  It's true - babies absorb brains!  Happened to me too.

The idea is to establish a colony of bacteria that will convert ammonia into nitrate, and another colony of bacteria that will convert nitrite into nitrate.  Then you do regular water changes to remove the nitrate and keep the tank in balance - ta-da!

Sadly the Nutrafin cycle is unlikely to live up to its claims.  I would advise that you follow the fishless cycling guide http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/ and use an ammonia source to cycle the tank.

There is quite a large jump in pH from your tap to your tank water.  Mine increases from about pH 7.6 from the tap to 8.2 due to natural dissipation of CO2 but yours is quite a bit more severe.  Take a sample of tap water and leave it to stand overnight, then test the pH.  This will tell you the natural pH of your tap water after CO2 has dissipated.  Any difference between that and your tank pH is due to something increasing the hardness of water in your tank.

The best way to oxygenate your water is to direct the filter flow up towards the surface to cause a ripple.  If the surface is sufficiently agitated then you shouldn't need an airstone, although it won't do any harm if you want one.

Hope this helps,
Daize

Most reactions

Back