Aquariums/lfs

treelo

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hi, i was just wondering what aquariums/LFS you could all reccomend in the NW of England

i live in Liverpool and we dont really have any real big LFS but there are a few i visit that look after there fish
i have also been to the BAS in Bolton, which has a huge selection of fish, but can you reccomend any local to me that i could visit that has a wide range of fish?

i know there are a few in manchester and wigan but dont actuall yknow where they are

My better half has relatatives in Mersyside and we always try and visit a few bigger shops down there as there really isn't much choice up here. We try and go to Maidenhead aquatics in Maghull or Bold Heath.

cheers mate

i use a very small store that is based in wavertree nook road about 5 mins drive away from the end of the m62

It's not quite on your doorstep, and far from the biggest shop but viper and vine is really worth a visit it's on Bury New Road, Preswich
just follow the aquatics link from the home page

I always use Macmillans in Preston it is small but very good and helpful informative staff. Also Reef and River in Morecombe is small but good.
There is one in Manchester almost opposite the Apollo theatre, I don't know what it is like as i just happened to see it when I was going to a concert at the Apollo in the evening.
If you find anywhere else really good in the North West do put up a post about it and whether it is accessible by public transport, I am surely not the only person who can't get to these out of town type places.
DD

I always use Macmillans in Preston it is small but very good and helpful informative staff. Also Reef and River in Morecombe is small but good.
There is one in Manchester almost opposite the Apollo theatre, I don't know what it is like as i just happened to see it when I was going to a concert at the Apollo in the evening.
If you find anywhere else really good in the North West do put up a post about it and whether it is accessible by public transport, I am surely not the only person who can't get to these out of town type places.
DD
Think the one opp the Apollo is called Oasis, and is on the corner of the street if I remember it correctly.

You also have a shop which is tucked away but quite nice called The Abyss in Stockport, just off the main A6 (Wellington Road) going through the centre of Stockport, think it is Marriot Street.

This is copied and slightly changed from a PM i sent;
--------------------------------------------------------------
Mines all south manchester really.
Theres three that i believe take good care of their fish;

World of water in Timperley, good for bettas and large odd balls; rays, arowana, recently had a giant gourami and still have siamese tiger fish. Often have a decent of plecos as well.
Will price match. Fair-excellent knowledge depending who you speak to.

Maidenhead aquatics near Stockport; Fairly basic stocking IMO, but look after their fish brilliantly and excellent knowledge.
Had some gorgeous chocolate gourami when i visited.

Oasis in Salford; Good discus and seemed really good for marine. Good knowledge. Good plants. Tropicals what you'd expect fairly large range.

The others i've visited are;

Timperley aquatics; awful fish knowledge, care and general attitude, seem to be fairly good for brackish fish though. Hate them.

The abyss in stockport; poor stocking and the fish obviously aren't well cared for, but i'd highly recommend them for tanks, they have all sorts of odd shapes and sizes and normally a few ex-displays and minor damages at dirt cheap prices.

Pets@home stockport; predictable big chain, fairly small fish selection when i was there.

Manchester aquatics in Gorton; okay care, looked filthy though, very small selection.
Theres others....

cheers mate

i use a very small store that is based in wavertree nook road about 5 mins drive away from the end of the m62

We sometimes get into Walton, so I might have a look in there one day. There is also a Maidenhead aquatics just opened in Stockport and Wigan recently. I have a nationwide gps poi list for maidenhead. Ideally I would like to expand it to all shops with parking, might be a useful tool.

Most reactions

Back