Hi, Folks. Bertha here.

That's disappointing. If it holds only 10 gallons, I wonder why Fluval sold it as a 15 gallon tank. I want to keep my fishes happy . . . So if I have 6-8 Rasboras and 3 Corydoras, I could have no more, is that right?

Wait - there's the panel at the back of the aquarium, and behind that are the filtration and heater. But I don't imagine there's much more than a gallon there. Still, would that increase the number of fishes the tank could safely hold?

Thanks for doing the math. I know I couldn't do it without a supercomputer and a 'high priest' from NASA.
A lot of companies sell aquariums as x gallons for a sales ploy and most of them overstate the actual volume the aquarium holds.

The filter in the back might hold a bit more water but it won't add enough to let you keep more fish than 6-8 rasboras and 3 (maybe 4 if you really push it) Coydoras. It comes down to swimming room (length x width) and the tank is lacking that space. So 6-8 rasboras and 3 (maybe 4) Corydoras is the total number of fish for that tank.

If you ever need to work out the volume of the aquarium, you can input the numbers in the "FishForums.net calculator" found at the bottom of the page or on the right side of the page. I have added the link below this too. It saves a lot of headaches for us and NASA :)

Hello again. I have a friend named Bertha, but we call her "Bert". Thank you. If you don't mind, I will. Have fun with the Water Keeping Hobby!

That's disappointing. If it holds only 10 gallons, I wonder why Fluval sold it as a 15 gallon tank. I want to keep my fishes happy . . . So if I have 6-8 Rasboras and 3 Corydoras, I could have no more, is that right?

Wait - there's the panel at the back of the aquarium, and behind that are the filtration and heater. But I don't imagine there's much more than a gallon there. Still, would that increase the number of fishes the tank could safely hold?

Thanks for doing the math. I know I couldn't do it without a supercomputer and a 'high priest' from NASA.

The math is simple

Length Xs Width Xs Height = than divided by 231. I have bought a lot of used tanks and I always ask for measurements before I will go look because half the time people will say it's bigger than it actually is. Manufacturers also advertise their tanks being bigger than what they are, that's not unusual. I recently purchased new "40g breeders" that are actually 37g...pisses me off honestly.

You can keep more fish in the tank depending on the size of the fish and how often you are willing to change water but a 10g is fairly small as is. I'm lazy and don't like to change water more than once a week so I don't keep anything smaller than a 20g long.

The math equals out to 10 gallons

Youre local to me. I don't shop at box stores often but CK fish world is worth checking out. He takes care of his fish and has a solid stock of everything from fish, plants & equipment. Jan's also is decent.
I looked for all my LFS's last night and found neither CK Fish or Jan's. Where are they?

I looked for all my LFS's last night and found neither CK Fish or Jan's. Where are they?
CK Fish World

Address: 541 N Azusa Ave, West Covina, CA 91791
Phone: (626) 339-0090

Jans

Address: 5427 Moreno St # E, Montclair, CA 91763
Phone: (909) 621-4777

If you ever feel like venturing down to San Diego to hunt for fish lemme know. I have a few spots down there as well that have an immense amount of fish you can't get anywhere else.

CK Fish World

Address: 541 N Azusa Ave, West Covina, CA 91791
Phone: (626) 339-0090

Jans

Address: 5427 Moreno St # E, Montclair, CA 91763
Phone: (909) 621-4777

If you ever feel like venturing down to San Diego to hunt for fish lemme know. I have a few spots down there as well that have an immense amount of fish you can't get anywhere else.
Thanks very much, Ceez. I wonder, though, how would the fish do in a long drive from Montclair or West Covina? Do fish get car sick?

Thanks very much, Ceez. I wonder, though, how would the fish do in a long drive from Montclair or West Covina? Do fish get car sick?
I don't know how long that drive would be for you, but I've transported fish, frogs, and plants by car 2.5 hours (I live in a pretty rural area with no LFS) and they were all fine. Small sample size, since I've only done it a handful of times, but I didn't have any issues. Remember, to even get to the LFS, the fish likely had to travel for many days via plane, truck, etc. depending on where they originated.

I don't know how long that drive would be for you, but I've transported fish, frogs, and plants by car 2.5 hours (I live in a pretty rural area with no LFS) and they were all fine. Small sample size, since I've only done it a handful of times, but I didn't have any issues. Remember, to even get to the LFS, the fish likely had to travel for many days via plane, truck, etc. depending on where they originated.
Good to know. Thanks!

They'll be fine. I've had them in the car for 5hrs no issues. People overnight fish and they're in bags for 24hrs. Nothing to worry about

Under no circumstances should you let the fish drive on the trip back from the store no matter how much they beg. And welcome to the hobby and to the site ;)

Most reactions

Back