Hi, Folks. Bertha here.

Bertha

Reaction score
I hope everyone is well. I'm glad to be here. This forum seems superior to another I was checking out, so I joined.

I have had aquariums in the past - in the long past. I had two when I was in my twenties (not at the same time). I was a stupid kid - I did no research and didn't know about the nitrogen cycle. Long story short, I didn't have those aquariums for long.

A few years ago I had a five-gallon tank with a spicy blue betta. His name was Ella Fitzgerald. I called him Jerry. He loved to eat bloodworms and sometimes I felt his mouth clamp down on the tip of my finger as he grabbed his worm. I loved that fish. He died after I'd had him about nine months. No disease was evident; he'd never seemed sick at all. I just got up one morning and he was gone. 😥

Now I have a 15-gallon aquarium. I've had it for about six months. When the cycle was complete, I went to PetSmart for fish. Bad idea. Remaining from those fish, I have three: two Harlequin Rasboras and one catfish (I don't know what kind. It's a little one). I know the Rasboras are schooling fish, so I'll be getting those two some friends.

There are a few LFS in my area, but I'm only acquainted with one: Tong's Tropical Fish in Fountain Valley, CA. I've made several research visits. I find their plants to be very nice - and pricey. That's ok with me, for what appear to be quality plants. They have a wide selection of rock, driftwood, and other decorative pieces. As for the fish: I have never seen a single dead fish in their aquariums. They have about half and half, freshwater and saltwater fish. Unless I make significant finds at other LFS's, I'll get my fish at Tong's.

I have a question: I was thinking of putting in some long, slender airstones to make a bubble wall in the back of the tank. What do you think? Is this good for the fish? Will they like it? Or is it a bad idea? I can't really find anything that addresses this.

I'm glad this forum is here. Looking forward to hearing from you, Folks.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you post a picture of the catfish we should be able to ID it for you.

Corydoras catfish like to be in groups as well and it's recommended you have at least 5 of each species. Rasboras do best in groups of 10 or more.

Harlequin rasboras and Corydoras catfish don't need or like too much water movement all the time. If you want an air curtain, maybe have the airstone attached to an air pump and have the pump on a timer so it comes on for a hour several times a day but is off the rest of the time. If the fish want to swim in the current they can for an hour and then they can rest.

Corydoras catfish like to be in groups as well and it's recommended you have at least 5 of each species. Rasboras do best in groups of 10 or more.

Harlequin rasboras and Corydoras catfish don't need or like too much water movement all the time. If you want an air curtain, maybe have the airstone attached to an air pump and have the pump on a timer so it comes on for a hour several times a day but is off the rest of the time. If the fish want to swim in the current they can for an hour and then they can rest.
Thank you for the welcome, Colin.

I'll post a photo of my catfish, Grover, tomorrow - if my moving in front of the tank doesn't make him swim to the back.

Thank you for the advice about the air curtain. Rethinking it now.

Are ten Rasboras too many for 15 gallons? Because I'd like to get more variety, too.

Hello, Colin,

Here's a photo of my little cat, Grover. He's between one and two inches long. He blends right in with the pebbles. Sometimes I have a hard time finding him, unless I look for his fins.

Should I post this somewhere else?

I hope you're having a good afternoon.

Bertha
Grover.jpg

Welcome to TFF, Bertha. We have many knowledgable members to help answer your questions.

I am a moderator and also run our 3 contests. Be sure to vote in the polls.

It’s a slow time of day for activity right now but picks up later in the day.

Hope you like it here and decide to stick around

Should I post this somewhere else?
View attachment 340380
Corydoras sterbai

If you start a thread and we are asking questions, just keep the thread going. If the moderators want to move it they can.

---------------------

Are ten Rasboras too many for 15 gallons? Because I'd like to get more variety, too.
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Welcome to TFF... :hi:

Corydoras sterbai

If you start a thread and we are asking questions, just keep the thread going. If the moderators want to move it they can.

---------------------

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

L 16"
W 10.5" & 12" (front of aquarium is bowed)
H 13"

I hope I did this correctly - but then, how could I mess it up? 😨

Also, I read a little about corydoras sterbai. What I read said that they need to be five or six to be comfortable. With six corys and 10 Rasboras . . . . ??

Last edited:
L 16"
H 13"

Also, I read a little about corydoras sterbai. What I read said that they need to be five or six to be comfortable. With six corys and 10 Rasboras . . . . ??

The math equals out to 10 gallons

Youre local to me. I don't shop at box stores often but CK fish world is worth checking out. He takes care of his fish and has a solid stock of everything from fish, plants & equipment. Jan's also is decent.

L 16"
H 13"

A 16 x 11 x 13 inch aquarium holds about 10 US gallons if the tank is filled to the top and has no substrate. It probably holds about 8-9 gallons when set up.

You're going to struggle with catfish and rasboras in that size tank. Short of getting a bigger (longer) aquarium, you could go for 6-8 rasboras and 3 Corydoras total. It's not the best for them but is more appropriate due to tank size. If the tank was bigger then 10+ rasboras and 5+ Corydoras would be the goal.

A 16 x 11 x 13 inch aquarium holds about 10 US gallons if the tank is filled to the top and has no substrate. It probably holds about 8-9 gallons when set up.

You're going to struggle with catfish and rasboras in that size tank. Short of getting a bigger (longer) aquarium, you could go for 6-8 rasboras and 3 Corydoras total. It's not the best for them but is more appropriate due to tank size. If the tank was bigger then 10+ rasboras and 5+ Corydoras would be the goal.
That's disappointing. If it holds only 10 gallons, I wonder why Fluval sold it as a 15 gallon tank. I want to keep my fishes happy . . . So if I have 6-8 Rasboras and 3 Corydoras, I could have no more, is that right?

Wait - there's the panel at the back of the aquarium, and behind that are the filtration and heater. But I don't imagine there's much more than a gallon there. Still, would that increase the number of fishes the tank could safely hold?

Thanks for doing the math. I know I couldn't do it without a supercomputer and a 'high priest' from NASA.

Most reactions

Back