Aquarium Cycle - Graphical Log With Updates

Don't try to fiddle with scales etc. Just divide the DATA for Nitrate you entered by 10 (or 5 or whatever)? Then note this on the y-axis..

Andy

Its interesting to me that you're proving the inaccuracies of the nitrate test kits we all use :).

^ how so?

Its doubtful that an end-product like nitrates would fluctuate that much over a timeframe that short. Looking at that little snippet of data, I'd be more inclined to conclude that his nitrates are around 5ppm but that the test kit is not really capable of accurately measuring that value (due to cheap chemicals, small sample volume, and human error).

Possibly: But IMO I don't think that the scales 'relate' - it's like comparing apples & pears. In other words the scales are not comparable, hence it appears that the nitrates are going wildly up & down but because the Y-axis scales are commoned the plot for Nitrates will be amplified; My point is that if nitrates were potted on a graph whose Y-axis scale topped 100 (the point at which the levels are dangerous say) instead of 10 (twice the dangerous levels for nitrite) then the graph would look more 'sensible'.

It looks 'wrong' because of the scales. No other conclusion can be drawn from that...

Andy

lol so it is the graphs fault?
geez give the guy some credit, i can understand the graph clearly. Perfect or not.
This thread is very interesting. Kepp up the good work my friend!

Not blambing the graph at all. I'm instead trying to suggest that the graph illustrates that the kit being used is likely inaccurate at that resolution. The inability of most cheaper nitrate testing kits made for home aquaria to measure actual nitrate at lower concentrations (0-10ppm) has been discussed, theorized, and subjectively noted by hobbiests for some time now. Aquarists have rightly had many gripes over the inabilities of the more "affordable" yet very common kits (API, Nutrafin, Tropic Marin) to accurately measure nitrate. Other more expensive kits such as Salifert, Seachem, and Red Sea brands seem to have a workable range down to 0.5ppm.

I suppose I'm making the assumption that the poster is using a more affordable test kit, as most newbies (myself included) tend to use them when they first start their aquariums, before they know any better. I would imagine that using a higher quality test kit would yeild a more stable value for nitrate.

And I'll say it again, I'm loving watching this thing :)

geez give the guy some credit, i can understand the graph clearly. Perfect or not.
Let's nip this one in the bud then: I think this is a good idea. I am merely offering suggestions as to how things *may* be improved and *possibly* why things look 'wierd'. If I did not care (and by putting effort into this guys thread I think I am giving due credit) I wouldn't be offering *suggestions* - take them or leave them.

I'm instead trying to suggest that the graph illustrates that the kit being used is likely inaccurate at that resolution.
Yes indeed! This is only what I am trying to get across, the resolution is exaggerated on the Nitrate scale. I am fully aware of your other points, but the test should at least provide a relative indication of what is happening in the tank.

Andy

Thanks everyone for the comments and interest so far :hyper:

The test kit I'm using is the API master test kit - pH, ammonnia, nitrite and nitrate. Yes, it is one of those 'cheap 'n cheerful' test kits, but i think it has served me well overall. I've been testing the water at the about the same time each day, between 6 and 7pm. So far, I would tend to agree with Skifletch; I don't think the nitrate test kit is very accurate at these low levels; however, I don't have another, more expensive nitrate test kit to compare it to, which would be the proper, scientific way to do things! :good: The scale on the NO3 card is:

NO3
0ppm
5ppm
10ppm
20ppm
40ppm
80ppm
160ppm

I'm also trying to match the colour in the tube to the colour chart, so sometimes, it hasn't been easy, for example the colour may not quite match so I would have to to round it off to the nearest colour, say 10ppm, when in reality it might be 8ppm, or not see it in the correct light and make an error (I have, however, been giving them to my wife for a second opinion. I didn't tell her what the colours meant, I just asked to to tell me what colour she saw - I was aiming to get a more objective opinion. :) The resolution of the nitrate kit isn't as good as the nitrite kit, which reads:

NO2
0ppm
0.25ppm
0.5ppm
1.0ppm
2.0ppm
5.0ppm

Which is why the graph looks funny NO2 & NO3 are scaled differently :)

Has anyone had any experience with the Sera test kits? I can get one of those NO3 test kits today and start a comparison...
btw, the nitrate reading last night was 10ppm..

And today's installement...

AquariumLog07.jpg

Looks like I might be ready to add my first lot of critters this time nex week! :drool: :hyper:

Not blambing the graph at all. I'm instead trying to suggest that the graph illustrates that the kit being used is likely inaccurate at that resolution. The inability of most cheaper nitrate testing kits made for home aquaria to measure actual nitrate at lower concentrations (0-10ppm) has been discussed, theorized, and subjectively noted by hobbiests for some time now. Aquarists have rightly had many gripes over the inabilities of the more "affordable" yet very common kits (API, Nutrafin, Tropic Marin) to accurately measure nitrate. Other more expensive kits such as Salifert, Seachem, and Red Sea brands seem to have a workable range down to 0.5ppm.

I suppose I'm making the assumption that the poster is using a more affordable test kit, as most newbies (myself included) tend to use them when they first start their aquariums, before they know any better. I would imagine that using a higher quality test kit would yeild a more stable value for nitrate.

And I'll say it again, I'm loving watching this thing :)

Ski my comment was not directed at you :D

No worries guys, just a little simantics :).

Norite: any sign of a diatom bloom?

Norite: any sign of a diatom bloom?

um, there were some brown diatoms that appeared and covered one chunk of live rock, and covered the sand, about 2 weeks ago,but it's completely gone from the rock now, and is only on the sand - and it's nothing major, it seems to be dying off from there as well....

On the good side, I have macro algae growing! :good: I checked this morning, and overnight, 5 new buds have appeared on one chunk of LR! :good:

Today's latest:

AquariumLog08.jpg

I got me a phosphate test kit on Sunday, so I've started testing for Phosphates now. I'll have to invest in some rowaphos to keep it to zero!

I was thinking about getting a couple of nemos, but if they don't have any, maybe some cleaner shrimp and a couple of tubeworms?

Most reactions

Back