Fluval Flex 15 gallon build thread

got a nice pic of the male tonight. can’t wait for these new shrimp to come in :)
IMG_5717.jpeg

I really like the markings on your latest shrimp. Tank looks good to me. Like what you have done with it. Thinking about getting one for my work office. Small self-contained unit would go good in the office. Thanks for sharing the development of your tank.

I really like the markings on your latest shrimp. Tank looks good to me. Like what you have done with it. Thinking about getting one for my work office. Small self-contained unit would go good in the office. Thanks for sharing the development of your tank.
thank you!

i really like this tank. after previously having standard tanks with either internal filters or HOB filters, i prefer this setup much more. it kinda replicates a sump but there’s plenty of space for extra filter media if you want to add some, and it has a compartment for your heater so you don’t have to look at any equipment.

the flow is pretty strong, i had to attach some filter floss to one of the outlets to slow down the flow some, and now it’s perfect.

——-

shrimp should come in tomorrow sometime, hoping for no DOA’s and some pretty shrimp :)

——

edit: also i’m 99% sure these shrimp are some form of neo tiger shrimp, which is kinda crazy cause i never bought tiger shrimp i bought some yellow neos a while back but i think the betta killed all of them.

Last edited:
My first attempt with shrimp where with an orange variety. They were not very hardy and 50% died. I then got the normal red ones and they took off. The fancier varieties seem to not do as well as the reds. Now I have a mixture of reds, blues, and orange varieties, the young from this group vary from nearly black to transparent, with red predominating. For me I like the mix, but none have yet have the nice markings yours show.

Hope you get an interesting mix with your new shrimp.

My first attempt with shrimp where with an orange variety. They were not very hardy and 50% died. I then got the normal red ones and they took off. The fancier varieties seem to not do as well as the reds. Now I have a mixture of reds, blues, and orange varieties, the young from this group vary from nearly black to transparent, with red predominating. For me I like the mix, but none have yet have the nice markings yours show.

Hope you get an interesting mix with your new shrimp.
i got 4 orange from my LFS and all have died, not sure if it was the betta or died just because.

i used to have a very large colony of cherry shrimp (probably 50+) but i sold all of them to my LFS when i sold my old tanks too, which im bumming about cause that was a really strong colony

———

they came in!! only 1 DOA which is very good. horrible pics but i’ll try to get some better ones once i get home. i just hope the cherry barbs dont pick at them but i dont think they will
IMG_5760.jpeg
IMG_5761.jpeg
IMG_5759.jpeg

(got some cherries, blue velvet, red crystal, yellow, orange, white, black, and i think maybe a green too)

i got 4 orange from my LFS and all have died, not sure if it was the betta or died just because.

i used to have a very large colony of cherry shrimp (probably 50+) but i sold all of them to my LFS when i sold my old tanks too, which im bumming about cause that was a really strong colony

———

they came in!! only 1 DOA which is very good. horrible pics but i’ll try to get some better ones once i get home. i just hope the cherry barbs dont pick at them but i dont think they will
View attachment 340159View attachment 340160View attachment 340161
(got some cherries, blue velvet, red crystal, yellow, orange, white, black, and i think maybe a green too)
All the offspring will end up natural brown right?

just a few pics of the shrimp!
IMG_5766.jpeg
IMG_5764.jpeg
IMG_5768.jpeg
IMG_5772.jpeg
IMG_5773.jpeg

I got a lot of yellow and black ones which i’m not complaining about, i got a nice mixture :)

the shrimp love this big clump of algae! i was gonna remove it but they seem to utilize it well
IMG_5789.jpeg

tank still doing good, barbs have settled in and are showing great color and behavior
IMG_5957.jpeg

shrimp are doing good
IMG_5908.jpeg
IMG_5911.jpeg

i’m going to be moving out on my own in about a month or so so that’ll be an extremely stressful and difficult time, but i want to take this tank with me to my apartment, so that’ll be an interesting transition

i’m going to be moving out on my own in about a month or so so that’ll be an extremely stressful and difficult time, but i want to take this tank with me to my apartment, so that’ll be an interesting transition
Best of luck with that! I think there was a thread not too long ago on moving with fish tanks if that's useful.

Best of luck with that! I think there was a thread not too long ago on moving with fish tanks if that's useful.
thanks! gotcha, i know there’s been a few over the years. it’s pretty self explanatory but it’s just rough on the livestock and the plants obviously. i’m just glad the landlord is chill with me having a fish tank (only 1 for now 😏) cause sometimes they charge extra to have them, but this guy doesn’t.

happy monday, hope yall had a better one than i did. anyway, here’s a kinda good pic of one of the males i was able to get on my phone

IMG_6019.jpeg

i don’t even know if anyone cares besides @MattW3344 but i’m gonna keep posting lol. i miss how active and engaged the forum used to be on build threads :/

anyway loving how the tank is looking right now
IMG_6049.jpeg
IMG_6050.jpeg

this might be my fav shrimp:
IMG_6045.jpeg
IMG_6047.jpeg

i think it might be some sort of tiger variety but she sure is big!

also a rare sighting of one of the black shrimp :)
IMG_6052.jpeg

How are the barbs and shrimps together?
After finding a juvenile cherry barb in my main tank I decided it was safe to get cherry shrimps, a mixed colour group like yours. I now have a lot more shrimps than I bought, the fish leave the newly hatched shrimps alone, and like your tank they have lots of hiding places.

Most reactions

Back