Aquamarine 900 Journal - My First Marine Tank

This can be quite a complex area of keeping marines! Please make sure you read around this topic thoroughly and understand the impact that adding chemicals can have to your tank.

I liked to keep my magnesium slightly higher than that at about 1300 and calcium at about 480.

You are quite close to the Red Sea recommended levels for both. It may be worth noting that if your magnesium level is significantly low then you will find it impossible to raise the calcium level so always try and bring your Mg before Ca.

Also worth noting is NEVER try and raise levels too quickly - it is bad for your animals. Much better to try and do it in small jumps.

I always used dry chemicals to adjust my levels - but this is a little risky until you have some more experience.

If I were you I would try the seachem magnesium and then use Kalcwasser to increase you Ca. Don't dose at the same time of day (may be worth doing alternate days) and DRIP them VERY SLOWLY into a high flow area of your tank.(over as long a time period as you can manage)

Any questions then just ask

Cant find kalcwasser anywhere lol and this would be the magnesium Link?

i have plenty of drip lines as my girlfriends mum is a nurse lol. So i could do it over 12 hours easy if thats a preferable time frame?

edit: found KALKwasser Link:p clearly ainsy ur spelling aint what it used to be lol

Why you impertinent young reprobate! :lol:

I refuse to take spelling lessons from someone who spells YOUR as ur !!!!!!!!

I was teaching children to spell before you were out of short pants (obviously in English though not German!) Now take 100 lines and go and sit it the naughty corner!!!

Oh the times I dreamed of knowing a nurse (for more that just the medical supplies!) Yes that is the best way to do it - make up a stock solution and drip it in over as long as you can. 12 hours is great.

Also forgot to mention that your water change regime will affect your attempts to raise levels. Many salt mixes are low in exactly the sort of things that you are trying to add back in by way of a supplement. Try testing just before a water change and then again after - it will let you know what you are up against.

okay so you caught me there ill give you that old timer ;) ... when i type fast i revert to "computer slang" lol
Oh the times I dreamed of knowing a nurse (for more that just the medical supplies!)

what else is there other than medical supplies
wahey.gif

on a marine related note the advice has been noted down, and it hasnt been replace with smut or innuendos
shifty.gif

A. So happy I do nice big water changes. :D What is all this magical dosing that you all speak of? It is a mystery to me...

B. This conversation is getting odd with all its talk of nurses and things...

:lol:

He He!

It is perfectly possible to maintain your levels if you do regular water changes with a good quality salt.

I could never manage this as I would have needed nearly a full bucket of salt per water change!!!!

And... Stick with nanos & picos. But these tanks are not without their own challenges.

L

Wow saltwater shrimp carapaces huge!! Found my 1st one :) hopefully this long workin week will end soon so I can get down my LFS.

haha, got your first shed, huh? The shrimp aren't so bad. The ones that make me scared a bit are the porcelain crabs. It basically looks like a crab. I still do a double take when I have three porcelain anemone crabs instead of two. :blink: Especially when I'm tired.

Wow saltwater shrimp carapaces huge!! Found my 1st one :) hopefully this long workin week will end soon so I can get down my LFS.

haha, got your first shed, huh? The shrimp aren't so bad. The ones that make me scared a bit are the porcelain crabs. It basically looks like a crab. I still do a double take when I have three porcelain anemone crabs instead of two. :blink: Especially when I'm tired.
Had a shed in the garden for awhile..... :p haha jus messin! Yeh I honestly thought my shrimp was dead tho because the carapace was so pale and I had jus woke up before my night shift! Hate these bad eyes lol

He is very pretty. I don't think they pair with shrimp tho. Didn't you wanna pair them?

Awesome fish. HEHE on the shedding. I can usually tell the night before Mine will shed. He hides that day and evening leading up to it, and like clock work he sheds overnight =)

-Tyler

Most reactions

Back