Anyone Else Think This Is Disgusting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
some people make you sick, why manufacture this sick piece of ****!!!!! there is overstepping the line and then there is this, god sake!!!!, i cant belive that they are allowed to sell it really, i have bigger mugs.

some people eh - need to be shot

Yeah, that is a pretty typical example of what the chains and independent stores around me carry. That, and little cubes that look more like candle holders :crazy:

This has to be one of the worse I've seen, terrible design.

The "Lavarium"
[URL="http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?...2#RatingsDetail"]http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?...2#RatingsDetail[/URL]
pPETS-3763471dt.jpg

So, from the way I understand it, the poor fish will always be caught in a current of bubbles, and will have nowhere to hide from the constant light show.

The top looks too small to even get a net into, so you probably have to just try and pour the fish out, which doesn't always work if they swim against it enough. It's a shame the product gets such a high rating, but some people will never learn, nor care to learn.

its desgusting for fish but id love to have a live plant nd some shrimp in there

I actually overheard a woman in a pet store telling her friend that Betta fish come from the desert, and that they live in camel hoof prints when the hoof prints fill up with rain. It was the single dumbest thing I think I've ever heard.

I can't stand the minimal living spaces they sell for Betta fish. Why get this beautiful, exotic fish and then cram it into a tight space with no room to swim or to show off those gorgeous fins?

Some of the bowls I've seen aren't so bad. There are two gallon bowls around here that make me feel hopeful that maybe some of the Bettas are at least getting a little bit of space, even if they are deprived of heating and filtration. And then there are the 'Zen' Betta cubes. What's so zen about forcing a living creature into a small space?

People are so inconsiderate. If they don't want to provide for their pets, even a fish, then they shouldn't get one.

People claim ignorance though don't they.

Unless they're specifically told that something is bad 'by an expert', then they don't have to engage their conscience do they?

Or any sort of 'sane thought'...
You know what, I've had an idea. I don't know how successful it would be. But what about we started a post with every unsuitable tank that is specifically targeted at bettas and send a link to the people at Practical Fishkeeping magazine.

Maybe they'd do an article on it and raise a bit of awareness? Or have they already done something similar? I mean I know it might only be read by people who already know better, but maybe the article would get read by someone else who would know how to progress things?

I don't understand why fish wouldn't be allowed the same rights as cats, dogs, horses etc. I think it's just that the issue hasn't be made public enough yet. Fish just get flushed when they die...dogs and cats. People notice.

I actually overheard a woman in a pet store telling her friend that Betta fish come from the desert, and that they live in camel hoof prints when the hoof prints fill up with rain. It was the single dumbest thing I think I've ever heard.

PMSL :rofl: Thats totally one of the most hilarious things I ever heard!

I actually overheard a woman in a pet store telling her friend that Betta fish come from the desert, and that they live in camel hoof prints when the hoof prints fill up with rain.

HAHAHAHAH!!!!

What a **** I would have asked her if she still believes in Santa Clause too! :hyper:

Some people are just too dumb for their own good

Please watch your language!

Link to ebay item

I think that's absolutely horrible :(

I mean I know there are plenty of these threads. And plenty of horribly small tanks sold specifically for Bettas.
But I hadn't seen this one before and it still makes me a bit sad.

unfortunately 90% of pets outside of cats and dogs are givin terrible living standards

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i feel bad for any fish that lives in this bowl. i am shocked that there is a goldfish in it!!! thry need at least 5 gallons of water!

Attachments

• smallbowl.jpg
    smallbowl.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 48
I'm not hurting anyone by mentioning this am I?

And it's the smallest yet that I've seen so I put a post on...

Really is no need for sarcasm.
This is not new in this forum (as you can imagine).

Difference between complaining and action
Well that guy has his own blog on the web, i know because i've been emailing him for the past month. On his blog he says he welcomes feedback, yeh right. I have been very polite to him, explaining that these vases are not suitable etc etc but to date have received no replies.
This was the first one i sent -
"Hello.
Whilst your designs are asthetically pleasing to the eye, i can assure you that a betta will NOT flourish in 0.2 of a gallon. Its a bit like a healthy human being, spending their whole life in their bathroom! Whilst wallowing in their own waste.
Firstly, Ammonia from fish food and waste will build up within hours, poisoning the fish. I know this for a fact. I have monitored the ammonia levels in a 1.5 gallon jar containing a juvenile betta and found that the ammonia started showing after approx 18 hours!
Secondly, and contrary to popular belief, bettas do not live in little puddles. They live in 1000's of gallons of water in Rice paddies, slow moving streams and canals.

For someone who has taken so much time and effort over their adverts and blog, you have actually not taken in to account the needs of the fish at all. You, I'm afraid, are simply adding to 1000's of premature fish deaths."

And then -
"Is it just good feedback you want to hear? I believed the idea of asking for feedback was to hear the views of all? I can only assume that you really have no interest in the health of the fish that find themselves confined in these jars. There are far too many people trying to make a fast buck regardless of whom or what they harm".

The thing that gets me about the guy who puts those vases together and then sells them as betta vases, is that he states he is a designer and has spent many years developing these things. he also states he's done research! He makes an issue about his disability, which is why i find it extraordinarly perculiar that he is being so narrow minded. Like i said, he only seems to want good feedback. I'd love to meet him, oh yeh! think i will email him again and put a link to this thread for his attention.

??

DEATH.jpg

is life like

DSCF0981-1.jpg

:shifty: -_- :huh:

Design? What like the sort of design that you can pick up in any supermarket or home furnishings store ? Like Habitat for example? In fact Habitat have vases twice the size of that and bigger.

I have a glass bowl exactly like that. You know what I keep in it? MOSS.

How does this imbecile get away with touting these ten a penny cheap glass containers as " Design" ? There's NOTHING unusual, or aesthetically pleasing or intruiging about them. A straight glass vase or sweet jar is not design. Those have been made for centuries . I'm sorry but there's no way he/she "designed" or even made those . I think they should be reported to Ebay for false advertising. That's blatantly a case of someone bulk buying some cheap glassware, filling it with gravel and a plastic plant, and selling it on touted as aquaria.

I have emailed the "designer" the link for this thread.

I certainly have not quoted everyone with good points... my point is that that betta abuse threads pop up every few hours here....... just to complain............ what does that accomplish?

all of the above quotes took action in some way. you complained.

I think what we SHOULD be doing is sending articles, with polite emails, to lots of magazines like women's magazines and home&garden ones, explaining to people why keeping bettas in jars/vases/tiny bowls is cruel and shortens their lives. Most people don't want to make animals unhappy - they've just been told by pet stores etc. that this is fine. I can write an article today and post it up here for you guys to pick apart.

I think what we SHOULD be doing is sending articles, with polite emails, to lots of magazines like women's magazines and home&garden ones, explaining to people why keeping bettas in jars/vases/tiny bowls is cruel and shortens their lives. Most people don't want to make animals unhappy - they've just been told by pet stores etc. that this is fine. I can write an article today and post it up here for you guys to pick apart.
do it

Hi

I have received the following email from the person selling the vases in the OP first post. I had emailed him to show him this thread and he has read it and, well here's his email.

Hi Andy

First off, thanks for this email. I appreciate the heads up on the conversations and on all the facts / /feedback that I got from you and a few others. It certainly has been a learning experience and therefore, all the betta bowls that I was selling on ebay have been / will be removed and are no longer for sale. I had no idea how harmful the conditions of my designs would be to the betta and that’s the last thing I would want to do to any living creature.

If you would can you please advise those on the forum of this change and that I appreciated all the information that was given on this issue.

Appreciated your email Andy
Cheers
Ron
PS Feel free to share this information and my email address if needed. I'll also be posting a retraction notice on the blog of the changes as well.

I am very pleased and impressed by his reaction. So a little education works :good:

yaaaaayy!!! go Andy!!! (what did u do 2 him)lol

yay!!! lets do it to all of the evil betta people on there!!!!! hehehee... :shifty:

Good stuff!

maybe you could suggest some other use for his creations, You-know. We have removed a bit of his business so maybe we can help it in another way. Could those bowls be used for anyother species?

I'd use a bowl like that with an airstone for raising Brine shrimp for feeds. Or raising fairy shrimp (freshwater) in a nano-tank type environment. Plant, gravel, fairy shrimp and moss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back