Annoying Dead Spot!

NeonTetra97

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been running a Fluval 306 on a 125L tank for nearly two years now and it is a brilliant filter, however since I've been keeping messier fish (plecos!) a dead spot underneath the filters return has become apparent. Lots of fish waste seem to accumulate where the filters flow can't reach making that corner look quite unsightly.

Being only a small tank I'm reluctant to get a powerhead as this might blast my poor fish around a bit to much, if you have any ideas on how to fix this little problem the I'd love to hear them!

I like this question. My tank is equal in capacity to yours, but that's not really relevant. Good choice on the filter size and brand. I'm over filtering with a canister and have a fairly powerful powerhead running a foam filter. Most of my fish like the current. Plecos like fast moving water.

Are you using a spray bar? If not, try it.

Strategically rearranging hardscape might help.

Can you post a picture of the front view of the tank?

What other kinds of fish do you have?

I have a double duckbill nozzle on my outflow pipe which can be turned in different directions depending on where you want the flow to be.

RobRocksFishTank said:
I like this question. My tank is equal in capacity to yours, but that's not really relevant. Good choice on the filter size and brand. I'm over filtering with a canister and have a fairly powerful powerhead running a foam filter. Most of my fish like the current. Plecos like fast moving water.

Are you using a spray bar? If not, try it.

Strategically rearranging hardscape might help.

Can you post a picture of the front view of the tank?

What other kinds of fish do you have?

I'm not using a spray bar yet Rob, I'm worried that although the coverage and dispersal of flow will be better the spray bar might restrict the turnover rate? Those small holes makes me feel like adding a spray bar may actually be detrimental to over all performance of the filter, not certain though as I have never used one! Are you using a spray bar? If you are I'd love to hear your experience with it!

And the fish: 8 cardinal tetras, 6 X-ray tetras, 3 bn plecos, 2 German rams some Amano shrimp and corys

I will also get a picture up as soon as I get on my laptop! Thanks for your reply :)

betta fish said:
I have a double duckbill nozzle on my outflow pipe which can be turned in different directions depending on where you want the flow to be.
Hi betta fish, I've never heard of a double duckbill nozzle, could you post a picture as this sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! Really I would like to be able to use the Fluval FX5 outlet on my 306, but I think the pipe dimensions are different. Thanks for the reply :)

My filter came with a spray bar that is about 30". I love it. It allows plenty of flow and is almost as long as my 36" tank. It does not restrict the flow much if at all. As long as it is long enough there shouldn't be a problem. The holes are small for a reason. They shoot the water out. I've got mine aimed parallel to the surface. It washes down the front glass to the substrate and keeps food and debris from settling allowing the intake to do it's job. I'm fairly certain that if I removed the power head/sponge filter, I would still get almost no settling. Again, my canister is quite a bit over-sized.

I don't think your fish would be bothered by a power head as long as it wasn't too big.

betta fish said:
Something like this http://www.fish-street.com/image_show.php?item_id=159&type=large&vc=a59fe415d83838eba0ff2cb9a935a9c0you can point one to the surface and one to where you want it.

Oh wow! That is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind! I looked on their website but couldn't find that item, the link you sent took me directly to the image and I can't seem to find the actual product listing? 

RobRocksFishTank said:
My filter came with a spray bar that is about 30". I love it. It allows plenty of flow and is almost as long as my 36" tank. It does not restrict the flow much if at all. As long as it is long enough there shouldn't be a problem. The holes are small for a reason. They shoot the water out. I've got mine aimed parallel to the surface. It washes down the front glass to the substrate and keeps food and debris from settling allowing the intake to do it's job. I'm fairly certain that if I removed the power head/sponge filter, I would still get almost no settling. Again, my canister is quite a bit over-sized.

I don't think your fish would be bothered by a power head as long as it wasn't too big.

I might just pick up a spray bar and give it a go, like you say if it is long enough there will be enough holes to allow adequate flow. I don't think (from memory at least) the Fluval spray bar kit is too expensive so definitely worth a shot! Also do you mind me asking what filter and powerhead you are using? Even if I get a spray bar I think a small powerhead could still be useful, could use it to power a small filter like you do but tasked only at water polishing. 

Fluval spray bar

I originally bought it when I had a marine tank to vary the flow a bit but now I have it attached to my Cristal Profi external nozzle it wasn't an exact fit but it stays on! I have two externals on a 200l tank one with this attachment and one with a spray bar, they ripple the surface nicely 
smile.png

Most reactions

Back