All Pond Solutions 1000ef Plus Aquarium External Filter

m1lky12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
On a previous topic I asked where I could find cheap external filters and I was pointed in the direction of the All Pond Solutions range. Having a budget of around £60 I found this model for just under £50 and was thinking about ordering it tomorrow for my 180 liter tank I'll hopefully be setting up in the next couple of weeks.

I've read some reviews and the vast majority say it's well worth the money but a couple do say the flow rate isn't the best. So I'm just wandering whether anyone else has had any experience with the model or All Pond Solutions themselves?

ive got one, for the price its amazing, as said the only thing is the flow rate is low but if you have an air pump or powerhead itll be fine!

Mine still runs fine with no problems in my 240 so far had mine a year. The flow is ment to go down or so some people say on this site but mine stil runs very well but that's just my experience with aps gear. I also use their heaters in 2 tanks that I find are very good also

I got one not so long ago and its amazing quality for the price, as said though the flow rate isnt that good on mine, iv got it set up on a 90 litre at the moment and it only disturbs about half of the tank but luckily when i put it in my new 240 litre iv got a trickle filter as well that will make enough for it to be worth it

Its not hard to make your own filter exit, my aps 2000 moves more of the water surface than my fluval fx5

Its not hard to make your own filter exit, my aps 2000 moves more of the water surface than my fluval fx5

Thanks for the quick replies! Sounds like I'm on top a winner here then, the tank it's going in is a Aqua One corner aquarium where the dimensions are designed to favour depth rather than surface area so I'm terms of moving the water surface it should be fine.

If you have £60 budget then i would go for the 1400, as said the flowrate isn't quite as high as suggested but well worth its price.

I have the 1400 and run it without the spraybar.

I would go for the 1400lph version too; I have one on a 180l and it only just copes.

I do like the APS filters though and run the 2000lph model on all my other, larger tanks (240l ones), if you're not looking for a very high flow rate; the amount of media you can get in there makes up for that IMO, although you'd probably want something with more 'oomph' for riverine fish

As suggested by Davo86, I'd go for the 1400 model if you could. The drop in flow is terrible after a while but I suppose you can't argue with that considering they are so cheap to buy. I had the EF2000+ (with UV) on my Rio 180 and then my Vision 180.. Obviously both 180 litres... I found the 2000 model coped ok in a tank of that size but the flow drops from the manufacturer stated 2000LPH down to a poor 950LPH.

Also I wouldn't bother going for any that come with the UV bulb. Mine broke and needed replacing several times within only a few weeks. Not saying that will be the case with all but it is just another thing to consider.

Not sure what the 1000 or 1400 is like personally as iv only had the 2000 but that was really bulky (wouldn't fit in the rio or vision cabinet), was a nightmare to prime every time I cleaned it (trapped air I believe?) and wasn't too good quality BUT it was quiet enough and like I said they are cheap to but so all in all not too bad.

Now I'm sticking to tetratec after owning numerous fluval a like the fx5, 406, 405, 306 and 205 and the APS 2000.

I have 8 APS filters I do prefer the 2000EF but for your size tank I also recomend the 1400ef. the problem with reduced flow is using to many of the filter pads they supply they are very thick and clog quickly, you only need 1. i have been running my first aps flter now 4 years without a problem. As walkers said if you want more flow adjust the outlet pipework, my 2000ef on my 300l tank has a whirlpool at one end its that strong! These are fantastic filters. To boot the parts for them are a fraction of the price of other makes.

I run a 2000EF on my 48x12x15 (140l), the flow is barely riverine, but admittedly I used the pads in this one rather than buying another batch of Substrat Pro or similar. The one acting as a supplementary on my 5x2x2 produces more current (although it can start very intensely and then drop off to a more moderate speed), but even at its fastest, it has nothing on my FX5 on the same tank using a 22mm plumbing elbow instead of the default double nossle (that has to have the nossles at 90 degrees to get the best possible flow).

I have an APS1400 with UV on my 3ft 120litre tank and as above really, never had any problems with it, mega reliable although flow rate is rather poor. That aside, it is much more
Reliable than my two Fluval 304's on my 5ft tank which have both leaked for no reason and more than once hence
Im looking to keep one and swap for a Fluval FX5. If i hadnt got it cheap it was either APS or SunSun external i would have gone for.
Id say you go with the 1400 too but i would go with UV as it doesnt hurt and can only help and replacement bulbs are reasonable. Cheaper than buying a UV unit thats for sure!!!

I have an APS1400 with UV on my 3ft 120litre tank and as above really, never had any problems with it, mega reliable although flow rate is rather poor. That aside, it is much more
Reliable than my two Fluval 304's on my 5ft tank which have both leaked for no reason and more than once hence
Im looking to keep one and swap for a Fluval FX5. If i hadnt got it cheap it was either APS or SunSun external i would have gone for.
Id say you go with the 1400 too but i would go with UV as it doesnt hurt and can only help and replacement bulbs are reasonable. Cheaper than buying a UV unit thats for sure!!!
I would ask why you think a UV is of any use in a hobby tropical tank?
unless you can not control the light it gets.
whilst its true its "cheaper than a UV unit". neither is needed, anyway.

Yes, I don't use the UV on any of mine. One important thing though; you must fit the glass sleeve for the UV, even if you don't fit the bulb, because they leak if you don't!

Most reactions

Back