Aquarium volume Q's, am I overstocked?

Wait, so with a base size of 120 by 45 footprint, I need a 50-60 gallon for these plecos?? The breeder really, really misled me :(

I can do one tank that size, but will that be large enough for two? Otherwise, I'll be looking at rehoming one of them :(

Don't know if this is used any more but old school rule of thumb approximates 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. Of course that would be just an approximate as some fish, such as plecos, put out more waste than others.

Wait, so with a base size of 120 by 45 footprint, I need a 50-60 gallon for these plecos?? The breeder really, really misled me :(

I can do one tank that size, but will that be large enough for two? Otherwise, I'll be looking at rehoming one of them :(
Pleco planet gave this as a minimum tank size: Minimum Tank Size: 100L (26 US Gal)( 21.649 528 8 UK Gal)

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

There are USA and UK gallons and they are different sizes. The Americans didn't want to use the British gallons because they were afraid the King of England might invade them, so they made up their own version of gallons. Neither should be acceptable, use litres you Neanderthals.

The Americans didn't want to use the British gallons because they were afraid the King of England might invade them, so they made up their own version of gallons. Neither should be acceptable, use litres you Neanderthals.
Gallons are the best. 😉

A gallon is a unit of measurement for liquids that is equal to eight pints. In Britain, it is equal to about 4.546 litres. In America, it is equal to about 3.785 litres. ...80 million gallons

I rest my case, the conversion is done into liters because everyone agrees on what a liter is.

Most reactions

Back