Ahhh Snails

jmain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I wake up this morning and notice that my floating grass is getting pretty thick so I decided to take some out and move some of it to the other side. Thats when I notice 1 snail hanging onto the grass then I noticed another 2 on the glass.

I haven't added anything new to the tank expect for about 7 fish over a week and half ago. The grass has been in the tank for at least a month now.

The snails were a brownish color. What do I do?

Assuming you want to get rid of the snails, then just remove them. It doesn't sound like you have an infestation, so remove the few you have found and monitor the situation.

I have read of people dropping a lettuce leaf into the tank overnight and remove it (with snails attahced) in the morning as an effective way of reducing snail populations.

So I saw a thread a few minutes ago about how you can get fish to eat snails. Can yall give me a list of freshwater fish that will eat snails

The story behind my snails:

I woke up this morning and decided that my floating grass was getting pretty thick so I broke some of it up moved it to the other side of the tank and then took some out. While doing this I noticed 1 snail was on the grass then I had 2 more on the glass.

I haven't done anything new to the tank besides adding 7 fish over a week and half ago. The grass has been in the tank for over a month

Will the snails become a problem or should I not worry or what

Assuming you want to get rid of the snails, then just remove them. It doesn't sound like you have an infestation, so remove the few you have found and monitor the situation.

I have read of people dropping a lettuce leaf into the tank overnight and remove it (with snails attahced) in the morning as an effective way of reducing snail populations.

Well I want to get rid of them if they will be a problem but if not I'm not to worried but I thought that snails reproduce a lot?

they do reproduce quickly but only usually to over feeding if they dont appear to be annoying the fish then they are good tank cleaners as long as they dont escape

Just replied to this in the 'new to hobby' section with the following

I saw that thanks I was just didn't know which topic to post it under.

i used to have a snail problmem but the clown loaches sorted that out.

they do reproduce quickly but only usually to over feeding if they dont appear to be annoying the fish then they are good tank cleaners as long as they dont escape

Well I took the first 3 out so who knows if there is anymore

In my opinion, assuming you aren't particularly seeking out snails like the larger more attractive ones to be part of your desired display, its better to view snails as a potential pest problem (pests only in the aesthetic sense, they are harmless and even slightly positive in the envirnmental sense I'd say.) With that in mind, its good to have a mindset that you will "maintain" them. As mentioned, not overfeeding your fish is a basic starting point, but, to me, "maintenance" means just using several of the known ways to keep the population down and using them regularly. Whenever its convenient, crush the ones you can get to easily and let the fish have a snack. At other times try the technique of leaving some lettuce or other vegetable in the bottom overnight (a saucer under the lettuce leaf helps you catch the captive snails as you lift both the saucer and lettuce out the next morning.) I've heard different reports as to whether the snails seem to like lettuce or other things better. Obviously you have to be careful in the choice of vegetables as some could be too messy.

~~waterdrop~~

In my opinion, assuming you aren't particularly seeking out snails like the larger more attractive ones to be part of your desired display, its better to view snails as a potential pest problem (pests only in the aesthetic sense, they are harmless and even slightly positive in the envirnmental sense I'd say.) With that in mind, its good to have a mindset that you will "maintain" them. As mentioned, not overfeeding your fish is a basic starting point, but, to me, "maintenance" means just using several of the known ways to keep the population down and using them regularly. Whenever its convenient, crush the ones you can get to easily and let the fish have a snack. At other times try the technique of leaving some lettuce or other vegetable in the bottom overnight (a saucer under the lettuce leaf helps you catch the captive snails as you lift both the saucer and lettuce out the next morning.) I've heard different reports as to whether the snails seem to like lettuce or other things better. Obviously you have to be careful in the choice of vegetables as some could be too messy.

~~waterdrop~~

I'm feeding every other day but I bet my parents are sneaking food when I'm gone because they think I'm under feeding

jmain, I've merged your 3 topics together and moved them to Tropical Discussion where you should be able to get plenty of help. :good:
Dawn

jmain, I've merged your 3 topics together and moved them to Tropical Discussion where you should be able to get plenty of help. :good:
Dawn

Sorry about that Dawn and thanks for putting them together

Great way of reducing snail populations would be clown loach. They recommend that they be kept in groups of 5 or more and have the potential to grow up to 12" in captivity if circumstances allow them. I've kept 5 in my 3ft tank for 5 years now and they are simply amazing at removing snails. I have a 2ft tank downstairs which is overrun with snails, i simply take them out and drop them in my 3ft and before they hit the bottom they've been gobbled up by my clown loach :p

If you can house them, they're so worth while. So so rewarding to watch, great characteristics and mine even feed out of my hand on a good day!

Great way of reducing snail populations would be clown loach. They recommend that they be kept in groups of 5 or more and have the potential to grow up to 12" in captivity if circumstances allow them. I've kept 5 in my 3ft tank for 5 years now and they are simply amazing at removing snails. I have a 2ft tank downstairs which is overrun with snails, i simply take them out and drop them in my 3ft and before they hit the bottom they've been gobbled up by my clown loach :p

If you can house them, they're so worth while. So so rewarding to watch, great characteristics and mine even feed out of my hand on a good day!

Well here is what my tank is looking like right now.

5 tetra serpa
3 black skirt tetra
3 red eye tetra
3 dalmation mollies
4 cory cats
1 pleco

Its a 75 gallon tank so I'm not sure if I would have room to get 5 clown loaches (not because I'm getting to my limits)

but all in all I was hoping to have my numbers some where around

5 tetra serpa
5 black skirt
5 red eye
6 dalmation mollies
7 cory cats
1 pleco
2-3 khuli loaches (maybe)

I also have a 10 gallon tank that has 2 male and 2 female salfin mollies but not snails have been spotted in that tank yet.

Also I got the hope that maybe this was only 3 snails and there wont be anymore if I get clown loaches will they be ok not having any snails to eat?

Most reactions

Back