Aaron's 216l Planted Journal!

Hi,
I got 8 x Marbled Hatchetfish & 2 x SAE's yesterday, well at least i think they are. SAE's have clear fins right? And a darker top half?

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0025-1.jpg

here's my little friend, he is always there when my hand is in the tank :rolleyes: cute but annoying at the same time, especially when i have scissors in my hand :/

DSCF0028.jpg

Thanks,

ps. I also picke up some anti fungus & finrot medication, see how that goes.

Well done on the hatchets mate I have been looking for these for a few months now! Everywhere near me is out of stock and tells me supply is low ATM for some reason. Seen some silvers but don't like them as much as the marbled variety...

Have they tried to fly yet? :)

Yeah, i have rung a few places too, luckily, mixmasterjay contacted me about CML aquatics in Chesterfield (thanks!). They had quite a few in.

As in fly you mean jump...? I havent seen them yet, they were quite inactive last night, just "sitting" at the surface and literally went with the flow lol. This morning they are all over the place! The SAE's are swimming about more too :)

Shame about all the algae and fungus, the tank looks amazing mate. Nice work!, needs more pictures though :p

As in fly you mean jump...? I havent seen them yet, they were quite inactive last night, just "sitting" at the surface and literally went with the flow lol. This morning they are all over the place! The SAE's are swimming about more too :)
Nope, they really fly!

Technically freshwater hatchets are the only fish that can fly, as all others just glide, these guys actively flap their fins. The shape of them comes from the enlarged pectoral muscles that they use when flying. Makes a buzzing noise and they can go a few meters :rolleyes:. They are nice fish.

Those are definatly SAE's :good:. Would be better with a cuple more of them, the zebra loach should really be part of a group too.

Tank designs looking great, will be stunning when mature.

I would personally just wait the fungus out...it will eventually go away and hate using medications with fish (especially loaches) unless totally needed.

Shame about all the algae and fungus, the tank looks amazing mate. Nice work!, needs more pictures though

another FTS will be taken tonight :) ;)

Thanks three-fingers, sounds exciting!! lol. I am going to use 1/4 dose so the loaches should be fine :good: any bad signs i'll do a waterchange and stop.

Nope, they really fly!

Technically freshwater hatchets are the only fish that can fly, as all others just glide, these guys actively flap their fins. The shape of them comes from the enlarged pectoral muscles that they use when flying. Makes a buzzing noise and they can go a few meters :rolleyes:. They are nice fish.

Those are definatly SAE's :good:. Would be better with a cuple more of them, the zebra loach should really be part of a group too.

Tank designs looking great, will be stunning when mature.

I would personally just wait the fungus out...it will eventually go away and hate using medications with fish (especially loaches) unless totally needed.

Hah, thats really cool dude any pictures of it happening :eek:?. If you are looking for something different that eats algae take a look at the American Flagfish, it supposedly rivals or even betters the SAE.

i am not too bothered about algae eaters, i just like the look of them and if i was to get any algae it would most definatley BBA which his harder to sort out in a larger tank, however, i should be fine on that front too, if CO2 was poor that is one of the quickest algaes to attack IME. They will be the only algae eaters that go in, or if i can source some pitbull plecs for my Mum lol. She wants me to get my old common back which was about 10" :rolleyes: Never again will i get a plec that grows over 4" lol. Its the only reason i maybe getting them, or ottos might suit her lol.

wow, thouse loaches are ace! hope you get this fungus situ sorted, i feel this tank has great potential, if it was absolutely full it would look amazing,more crypts, ferns, anubias and blyxa could make it amazing, some nice stems would finish it off, everything green though imo, nothing better than a totally green tank imo.

Thanks for your help aswell lately, hope i can pull something out of my hat to make my tank look different.
cya

Hi,
I got 8 x Marbled Hatchetfish & 2 x SAE's yesterday, well at least i think they are. SAE's have clear fins right? And a darker top half?

DSCF0025-1.jpg

You are a very brave boy. Hope you don't find crispies.

Let me know if they work. I've always fancied the marbles.

Thanks Adam, i have ordered some rotala rotundifolia & L.Palustris. I want some red in this tank, not lots though, so hopefully it will be more subtle with these plants.

llj, i have some acrylic covers in place :devil:
[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&...t&p=2386931"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=2386931[/URL]

They will be lucky to escape, there is a 2" x 2" feeding gap, :shifty:

You, underestimate the skill of your fish. :lol: My Betta imbellis jumped ship with only an inch gap. We will see. They wouldn't be very bright, though, the tank is a much better place to be than the floor.

Jenclibee, the fish are Botia striata, also called the Zebra loach. "Banded creature thing" also works. :lol:

Most reactions

Back