a lot of us "rescue" bettas

Be careful when rescueing hermit crabs! I used to have a big Hermit Crab tank with alot of little guys. About 12 crabs. One day I rescued a little guy from PETCO getting torn limb from limb by a huge crab. It turns out that he had mites, which spread to-and killed- all of my crabs. I washed and gave the tank to my little cousin. Well, I did rescue my Chihuahua from a Chihuahua rescue in Maine, but it wasnt a place where they would kill him. He was found on a highway, andd his paw had been ran over. But it's fine now. =D

All my rescues have been on the feline persuasion. It started with my cat, Dainty. Her mother abandoned her, and I am fairly certian to this day, which cat it was. A family friend who was helping with chores that night found her and put her off to the side near the calf pen in the barn, so cows wouldn't tromp on her. There was a mother cat, Squeeky, who was an awesome mom...she had 5 kittens at that moment...and I was able to get her to adopt Dainty. I just fed calves at the time, so if there was left over milk or milk replacer, I'd go out there and feed them from a little lid that I had stored away. Eventually it started getting closer to fall, etc. and I was able to convince my mum that if I brought her home to live, that I'd let her out in the spring/summer. My indoor cat at the time, we hadn't gotten spade, and my mum had put her outside as she had went to the bathroom everywhere....we had let her back in because she was preganate and mum felt bad. We eventually put her back outside as she went to the bathroom on other things again, rather than the litter box. So Dainty was a permanent resident.

I've done other cat rescues too, one year I had a terrible time rescuing...I did manage to bring home *to our barn at the house that does not have cows, etc.* 3 of Squeeky's kittens, as that year a lot of kittens were born and there was lack of food. Another year, I rescued 2 kittens from a cat who I thought was trying to kill them. I brought them home and had them in my mother's tack-room *was an old grain building I think* They were so cute and fat...Had them in there until around spring-ish time. Eventually they got to where they did NOT want to stay in there anymore, and I'd have to run around in the dark trying to chase them :p They were so happy...I was saddened to never find out what exactly happened to them. I don't really want to know either, but they disappeared, so to say. When they got near impossible to keep in the tack-room, I put them down in the barn that we don't use. The one kitten stayed down that way, the other had come up to the house. Then I never saw them again.

Bettas are the only animal I really rescue. After I graduate from college I want to have a farm and rescue horses that are going to go to slaughter :sad: Being that I will need a farm to keep these horses on I will have cats, dogs and whatever else needs a loving home :D I am an animal lover as you can tell.
Currently I have:
1 TB mare
1 golden retriever puppy
2 tabby cats
1 teddy bear hamster
1 guinea pig
2 degus
15 betta kids :rofl:

:lol: They just keep on coming :fun:

I have over 30 companion animals right now, and all but a few were rescues.
Before I did betta rescue, I did Goldfish Hospice for dying feeder goldfish. I got into it after buying a feeder with a deformed jaw, who sadly had to be euthanized recently due to his condition. The goldfish normally died since they were REALLY close to dead when I got them; I just couldn't stand seeing them stuck to the filter and being eaten alive by other fish. The store would give me as many dying fish as I wanted for 10 cents. I only have one survivor out of it all, my goldfish Grizraz, who lives with Tangaloor Firefins, Bronwin's old take mate.
Presently, I have 6 birds living in my room, 5 of whom were rescued. The parrot was being neglected in an undersized cage after being abandoned at a vet office for biting a child; she'd been there for 5 years and was very depressed and nuerotic. She still isn't all OK upstairs from the ordeal... I got the finch from a breeding pair owned by a friend that died during a blackout from hypothermia. He was the only survivor, and had rickets, so raising him was very difficult. Two of my parakeets came from a woman with parkinson's disease who couldn't care for them properly any more, and the third came with her mate from a pet store as both were on the verge of death with a URI and the store was going to put them in the freezer; they let me have them for free.
I recently lost two of my six mice to age, but the other four were used at my college for injection practice and were slated to be euthanized because it had made them fear-biters and thus unplaceable. They've been with me almost a year and are doing great. The other two who passed were badly injured in a zoo's live feed room by cannibalistic tank mates. They died at ripe old ages after a pretty rough life.
My two ferrets, Charlie and Luna, came from a shelter that doesn't take ferrets. Luna was literally thrown at the front door, and almost attacked by a shelter dog when they looked to see what the "thud" was. He was emaciated and sunburned with a gangernous foot, and has adrenal cancer. Despite his prognosis, he's been with us for years and is a very old man presently. Charlie was abandoned in an appartment with an iguana and had no food for over a week. He has bleeding intestinal ulcers that require medical care. We also took in the iguana, but placed him in a new home with a veterinarian.
I have two chickens, once of which was a rescue, one a gift that ended up being a rescue because the child of the woman who gave him to us suffocated all of the other chicks to death by closing them in a tupperware! The hen, Krelli, is a very old girl we rescued from a fraudulant sanctuary; she was bottom of the pecking order and had no feathers and a bad gash in her side.
Our two rabbits were also rescues, one from the same fraudulant rescue, and one from a barn that was shut down. Darwin was inbred and has deformed legs, skull, and GI tract. He is also deaf. I bottle raised him because the "rescue" allowed a male to mount his mother so continually that her back was injured and she couldn't nurse her babies properly because of the disability. The other rabbit, Brindam, was one of two rabbits I took from a barn being closed by the SPCA. The brother died because his injuries were so severe, but Brindam has recovered fully, minus a functional eye.
I also have two rescued gerbils. The older was at the live feed room at the zoo I was volunteering at and was having siezures, which caused the other gerbils to attack and try to cannibalize her. I took her home so they wouldn't gas her, and two weeks later she had a litter of three. The males were driven to a gerbil rescue in Vermont, and I kept mom and daughter.
Even my tarantula was a rescue. An enthusiast bought them from a pet store because they had heavy parasite loads, were emaciated, and being kept in cups so small they couldn't shed their skins without injury. He brought them to the zoo I worked at, and three were in such rough shape they died shortly thereafter. The remaining two needed home, so I agreed to take "Rosie" as she was more difficult to handle and bit anyone trying to feed her.
And of course, my kitty Leo, who is FIP+. I was interning at an animal sanctuary in upstate NY, and part of the volunteering involved going to livestock auctions to make sure they weren't illegally selling downers. While I was there, I noticed a kitten trapped in the auction pen. Steers were next, and I knew the poor little guy was going to get trampled, so I pulled some strings and was allowed in to get him. He was emaciated, wormy, and covered with calf diarhea from head to toe. My boyfriend drove all the way up to bring him home because the shelter was SUPPOSED to take him. But, once he got tested and was FIP positive, they couldn't so he's ours.
Any other pets are rescued bettas and thus, have not been mentioned, but I've done animal rescue my entire life. I have always been volunteering for shelters, sometimes up to 10 different groups at a time. I was the "foster mom" of orphaned kittens (1 day to 2 weeks old) for our shelter, as well as a few pups, lovebirds, iguanas, roosters, and ducks. I've done private rescues of several animals on the more exotic end like sugar gliders and prarie dogs. I've had more than my fair share of rescued fish, and for a very long while, I did TNR programs out of pocket; I had 9 feral cats spayed and nuetered for a local woman who was feeding them but couldn't afford the surgery, and got all of their kittens into homes. Heck, even my grandparent's cat was a rescue from us. And currently as a wildlife rehabilitator, I have a seemingly endless flow of wildlife needing rescue coming through my doors.
Cute topic ^^

edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention - I just placed my rescued rat, Jospeh in a GREAT home in rochester! It seems I'm always doing long drives to place these guys; roosters to Maryland, iguanas to kentucky, gerbils to Vermont... what's next? :lol:

I personally, have a deaf cat who no one wanted (he was running with a feral cat colony and going to be re-released which means certain death for a white deaf cat!). He is my fav cat (don't tell anyone!) :wub:
I got a kitten for free who had most of her tail bitten off by a dog. (The dog killed the rest of her litter including the mother cat :-( )
I took the last two kittens that were in a box labeled "free." They were getting older and still no one had taken them, the store owner said they were just going to toss them out in the field if no one took them.
I have adopted several unwanted (ie. death row) kitties from the animal control.
I saved a dog from an abusive owner. (She has almost fully recovered now :D ).
And I continue to hound the stores about their animals including fish.

Of course, for the grand finally, I am manager at a volunteer only animal rescue group for over a year. Recently, I saved 5 kittens from being aborted at the local animal control by finding the only foster home available during kitten season (this would be my house! :p ).

Oh and I can't forget the little scrub jay bird who was hit by a car and left for dead. I took him to the wild animal rescue accross town. He is also fully recovered :thumbs:

Wow Random. It is great to know there are people like you from all over the place. If I had the space I would do exactly what all of you are doing. As it is all I can do is take home a sick fish every once in a while. I have been on the receiving end of a special lady that helped people spay and neuter their pets when they couldn't afford the surgery.

Chase came to us unneutered. At that time I was still a student, living off a student loan, and hubby was recovering from a severe car accident and was on disability. Now that we both have good jobs we will be contacting that woman, and not only paying for Chase's neutering, but donating enough to her to get at least 5 cats spayed/neutered.

Elise,

Great job taking in the deaf kitty. It is funny how many of us rescue cats. My grandma rescued a dog that was being attacked by her previous owners son.

And years ago a friend of mine brought home a very injured pigeon. She found the pigeon being stoned by a group of boys. Pidg was blind in one eye and had a broken wing. She and her mother nursed the pigeon back to health and tried to release it. Pidg was having none of it. He lived on a shelf in their living room, was allowed to fly where ever he wanted. He used to sit on our shoulders and pester the cats. One day, after moving to a new house, Pidg flew away. My friend thought he was gone forever. Then one day about 4 years later there was an ad in the paper. Found, domestic pidgeon with only one eye. It turned out Pidg flew back to the neighbourhood he lived in for so many years. They got him back, and he died of old age.

My mom found a cat at work in 1992. She sat in her lap all day and came home with her after work. We put up found signs, but no one called. It turned out she was pregnant. We ended up keeping her and one of her 5 kittens. We still have Bear, her daughter, and Hay-U would still be here, except she was killed by a dog 2 years ago.

Well, my kitties are all sort of rescues. My Dusty was a stray, and my other two were given to me because the owner knew she couldn't take care of them.

My dog was a simaler story, we got her cheap because the owner had no idea to do with 7 half husky puppies.

I also had a pony I rescued. I bought him because the stable was changing hands and the new owner was selling his unwanted horses and ponies for meat. He had a million health issues, but I can say now that HUNDREDS of vet bills later, he is happy and healthy and we gave him to a little riding stable where he is leased by two little girls.

I have one kitty that we recued from my flute teacher's neighborhood. I guess a lady nearby KNEW her landlord said no animals, but she got the cat anyways. Eventually the landlord found out and told her to get it out. She she just threw the poor cat outside, where she sat crying at her door for like 3 weeks.

We think she was outside for as much as a year before we rescued her... and lets just say that she's taken to house life VERY well. Such a princess.
Pets022.jpg

And I also adopted a little leopard gecko from Petco that had dropped most of its tail. Imperfect? Maybe... but very cute.
Tail.jpg

Her tail is looking much better now. It's regrown about an inch so far.

Wow, this is great, all these people who rescue animals. All my animals are rescues one way or another. The eldest is my kitty "Spot" who was found in the woods (presumably adandoned) I nursed from about one week old to weaning her. She is nine years old now. My other kitty "Bennedetto" (which means well-blessed) was found on the Jamestown bridge in Newport, RI probably someone tried to get rid of him by throwing him over the edge. But he didn't go over he clung to the bridge. At some point he got hit by a car and irreparable damage was done to his left hind leg so the animal hospital I worked for did the surgery to remove it. I took him home from there. He was about six weeks old, tiny, full of worms and fleas and completely filthy besides the damage from the car.

My dog "Towzer" is an American Bulldog mix. His mom was a purebred American Bulldog (think Chance from the movie "The Incredible Journey") whose owner surrendered the entire litter of puppies because she had accidentally been bred by a German Shepherd and he couldn't make a profit off mixed breed pups. So we got Towz when he was nine weeks old. My other dog "Bingo" is a cocker mix who was being kept in, almost literally, a garbage pit. He hadn't been shaved in years so his hair was all matted and full of sticks, mud and feces. His nails were so long that some had grown all the way around and back into the pad causing infection. I convinced his owner (my sister's neighbor) that my dog needed a friend and to let me have him. We found out at his vet check a couple days later that he has Chronic Renal Failure so we give him weekly SQ fluids, special food and meds when he needs them.

Our goats are "Archie" and "Matilda". We got them from a rescue run by a woman who bought them at auction because the only other bidder was a butcher.

I recently volunteered with a local horse rescue and just found out that it looks like I will be taking in two older Standardbreds to foster until they are adopted. Fun! :) I can't wait to bring them home.

Most of my pets pics can be seen on my site (under my profile). :)

aww, saucy your cat story remided me of my cat I had when I was very little. Whiskers was thrown out by our neighbors so we took her, and kept her for a year or so, then she got really sick, and needed special medication. Our neigbors found out we had her, and called us, demanding the cat back. We told them she was sick, and needed to stay inside and have her medicine. They took her and of course left her out on the porch in the middle of winter. She died. I am still horribly upset about this, even though it happened when I was 3.

Are you sure that is a leopard gecko? That doesn't look anything like the leopard gecko I used to have.

This is what my leopard gecko looked like
http://www.finelineserpents.com/kids/kids/Lgeckoinfo.jpg

http://members.aol.com/msnick1/leopardgeckos.html

I know absolutely nothing about lizards, so if you say it is, I will believe you. He is very cute though.

Your kitty sounds like my Chevy. After we found her and brought her inside, she didn't even look out the window for a good 2 months. We lived in a 3rd floor apartment at the time, so the closest she could get to outside was the balcony. She wouldn't even go ut there.

Yep, she's a baby. They look WAY different than the adults. No spots like the adults... they grow into them. Haha. Don't worry, in a year from now, she'll have spots and stuff just like em.

Good to know. Too bad they change, I like the way the juvie looks. Hope her tail grows as big and fat as mine's was.

Most reactions

Back