3,500 gallon tank - what to put in?!

Without dismantling a few walls and rooves, I cannot see how a tank of those dimensions could possibly be located in a house whilst built up. A crane is the only obvious way of moving such a fragile object. A difference in levels of the base supports of only millimeters would cause the tank to shatter under its own weight. Forget a bunch of people manhandling the tank into place. You'd end up with manslaughter charges against you!
Everyone's commented on the cost of setup and running. Those costs will be dwarfed by the location costs!

Good luck!!!!

WK

If the tank is acrylic as i presume such a large tank is then it will be quite possible for 6-8 men to lift the tank into place, however getting the tank into any room will probably mean removing a window at the very least and more likely a portion of a wall. If the tank is a glass tank then it will need to be dismantled and reassembled in situ, glass tanks of that size cannot be moved for obvious reasons and are always built on site.

3500G. :hyper:

I assume you have a lot of spare time and money?

I wouldn't know where to start with a tank that big - what an awesome project. Please run a journal of your progress for us all to gawp at with envy.

Have you narrowed your choice to FW or SW yet?

As for stocking - how about a little slice of the Amazon? Massives shoals of Discus, Altum Angels, Cardinals, Corydorus etc. etc. Planting could be minimal so you wouldn't have to spend a fortune on lighting etc.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Think of a freshwater community of that size! You could very possably have every liver bearer imagenable!!

If i were you i would through a few big mouth bass, sripped bass, maybe some perch or crape in that mother of a tank. You could have your own warm water wild fish tank. Shoot for a bottom feeder why not a carp.

Tim

I always considered those coldwater... but for me, HUGE GIGANTIC CICHLID TANK, ANGEL FISH TANK, OR A KILLIFISH TANK! or, maybe a mangrove tank.

25 feet long? You could water ski!

I have 13 tanks with 365 gallons between them running in the house right now, with an increase of $50 per month in electric, most of it for heaters. Heaters totaled up equal 1550 watts. Your tank is just about 10 times the total of my tanks, but one continuous body of water. If you use 5 times the electricity for heating, you are in the $250 range. I would consider a gas fired pool heater incorporated into the sump you will need for the filtration. Gas is much cheaper than electric.

A 180 is 2100 pounds full, 330 pounds empty. You will be dealing with around 20 times that weight if it is 3500 gallons, give or take. rdd1952 figured 4675 gallons, so you can adjust estimated weight accordingly.

Empty, the tank will be 3-4 tons, that in itself will require riggers, and serious reinforcement of a wooden floor. Full would put it in the 40,000+ pound range. Now you are talking concrete piers sunk down to the slab with a hefty footing beneath that. Tall dollars.

Good luck to you, sounds like you will be spending around $10,000 before the tank even gets wet.

Tolak

To solve the heater problem...get koi! LoL.
Good luck, you must have quite a bit of money to be able to afford this. Have fun tearing down your house to put it inside!

You wouldnt heat the tank, with a tank that size you simply heat the room to tropical temperatures by leaving the central heating on all year around.

If i had the tank, The time and the money I would have it like this

h_mm05.jpg

simonbrown403 said:
what about this :wub:

big_tank.jpg

[snapback]887041[/snapback]​
The fish could jump out so easy, I'd rather have one mounted in the wall.

Most reactions

Back