3,500 gallon tank - what to put in?!

I know you didn't post this in the marine section but a big reef would be well, astonishing! Tropical wise you could recreate part of the amazon, and keep one of those freshwater dolphins they have down there.

Francis.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_1700g_tank_1.php

1700 gallon shark tank. Half the size of your tank...

Edit -

shark16.jpg

From the article!

All I know is do abit of research before adding anything, for fish that is, if you planning on a bunch of aro's etc etc your food bill could run into and over $100 per week. My Catfish and Cichlids cost me $30 a week and I dont even have to many as well. As for the tank getting whitespot in it I wouldnt stress to much, my 240g has never got it but my smaller tank has, the bigger the tank the more stable it is, so dont stress to much. Great Tank though and will always be the talking point in your house, I cant wait to see the pictures of it.

this sounds like a hoax, and if its for reals, i hope you get somebody to sponsor you, or you going to have like a $1000 water bill to pay. if it were up to me, i would turn it into a barracuda tank. scary as hell, but its cool :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plenty of food for thought there guys - keep them coming.

A lot of posts have mentioned price.

What do you think a setup cost of this would be?
And how about a yearly running cost for heaters and lights etc etc?

it would be kind of like an indoor pond actually, it's not rare to see ponds of 2000, 3000, 4000 gallons.

Like someone metnionned, just get the pond products and they won't be too expensive.

Also, If I had a tank that big, i would keep it simple. Definately not a reef. Even tropical would be expensive.

Mbuna would cost you a lot of money and you would basically need 1 ton of rock. If you plant your tank, you'll need massive lighting and lots of plants. It'll be a pain to maintain those plants too, seeing your tank is 25 feet long. It would be a full time task just maintaining the plants.

Also, you would nee at least 1500 watts of heaters in there to maintain temperature...

I would just stick it with coldwater fish, let ambient daylight do it's work or setup some regulat lights on top of it to keep it bright and nice! get 3 or 4 common plecs to keep it clean and there ya go.

You could put koi, many kinds of catfish, native fish as well! You could have a walleye shoal in that thing!!!

One more thing, if you stock this tank with carnivorous fish, it'll cost you a fortune in meat every week.

Personnally, I'd stick with koi

Warrior said:
All I know is do abit of research before adding anything, for fish that is, if you planning on a bunch of aro's etc etc your food bill could run into and over $100 per week. My Catfish and Cichlids cost me $30 a week and I dont even have to many as well. As for the tank getting whitespot in it I wouldnt stress to much, my 240g has never got it but my smaller tank has, the bigger the tank the more stable it is, so dont stress to much. Great Tank though and will always be the talking point in your house, I cant wait to see the pictures of it.
[snapback]884967[/snapback]​

What on earth are you feeding them!! Feeding all my fish (which are mainly large and carnivorous) only costs me around £15 a month (thats a little under $30). I get virtually all my fish food from the fish mongers or the supermarket in 1 kilo bags and go through around 4 1/2 kilos of food in a month, usually a kilo of cooked prawns (shrimp) a kilo of cooked mussel meat, two kilos of whitebait (small fish) and half a kilo of cockles. All LFS charge rip off prices for their frozen foods, the only thing i buy there is frozen bloodworm for my sons fish and the odd bag of hikari pellets to use when i'm feeling lazy and cant be bothered to get the fish out of the freezer.

Tanks of this size aren't that uncommon among reefers. You can limit cost by building it up gently (and with reefs you have Live Rock and skimmers/algae that prevent the need for as frequent water changes as freshwater.

If you do go tropical I would look at something like Red Tail cats and Tiger Shovel noses, only if you did that then the tank would not really be big enough to hold rays large enough not to be eaten (TSNs start at the tail and fold the wings like Tacos).

For ligh for plants I would try and put in a conservatory or extension with a glass roof to save on lighting. The UV to prevent whitepot should help cut down on algae too (especially if you have plants too).

Remember you will need a huge filter for that, either a bubble bead, or a sump in the region of 400 to 500 gallons.

Most reactions

Back