3,500 gallon tank - what to put in?!

TBH for a tank that size, you might want to go ask your local public aquarium how they look after their tanks. I think it would be great to fill it with thousands of tetras just for the heck of it :) Or you could turn your house into an aquarium and use the money to hire Takashi Amano to do the aquascaping.

A hospital tank would defently come in handy, except it would have to be pretty big if your getting large fish.

MegTheFish said:
A hospital tank would defently come in handy, except it would have to be pretty big if your getting large fish.
[snapback]884330[/snapback]​

Surely you'd use a koi pond quarantine tub?

Well, I don't have the room for one of those, so I would dig a GIANT whole in my backyard and PLANT that tank! I would leave about 3 feet of the tank above ground and the rest under ground, so i could view the fish without looking down at their backs ^____^ Of course I could not have tropicals then, so I'd probably get some of the fancier cold-water fish... And maybe if I add enough substrate (7 or 8 inches of sand :D ) I can get some fish that hibernate in the winter... Like Dojos, though I think our winters get too cold for them too :)

Or I would use it for a pet otter :)

Wow a 3500 gallon tank I would love one it would have to be a couple of big sharks. I love sharks they are awsome. One of these days I will have me one half that big anyway. The biggest tank I have is a 180 gallon which I love all the extra room. And so do the fish...

CFC said:
A few pairs of rays, half a dozen peacock bass, some big catfish, a group of arowana's, a school of flag tailed Prochilodus and a few other large Characins to fill out the middle and you would have a amazing tank.
As for medications on a tank that size you would have to fit a UV sterilizer to eliminate any free swimming or floating parasites and pathogens in the water to rid the tan of disease before it can strike. Running an auto change system conected to a large R/O unit would sort out the problems of water changes and dechlorinating water.
[snapback]884279[/snapback]​

I recon you should devide the tank into to two or three sections, and have a varioty, maybe an amazon, african and and reef tank.

What about using ozone insted of UV, i defently think you'de have to look into atomatic water changes with an RO unit or a couple of large water storage vats, so you can age the water (if it hasnt got cloramids in)

Holy macroooooooooo. Man I would put an giant catfish inside j/k. Probably super huge community tank? Man I wonder how long it take to do water change with tank huge as this.

Something that large, doesn't need water changes. It'll cycle on it's own and stay cycled permanently provided you give it the proper filtration and plants to keep the balance going.

If you really do have a tank that size, then I'd go saltwater but that's a very expensive thing so freshwater I'd do an Amazon biotope with the larger fish that inhabit the basin or one of the African Rift Lakes. Either biotope has a decent number of large and attractive fish for it.

I'd go with a native tank with minnows, scuds, maybe a few rainbow trout, some panfish of various species, small and largemouth bass. Maybe work it out so it turns into its own little ecosystem so u dont even have to feed anything.

Most reactions

Back