24G Nano Cube DX Nano Reef Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Looks awesome steelhealr! I especially love the moonlights. :thumbs:

A little worried about that kind of low pH... Maybe it's just a lot of waste being produced during the cycle?

sammydee said:
Looks awesome steelhealr! I especially love the moonlights. :thumbs:

A little worried about that kind of low pH... Maybe it's just a lot of waste being produced during the cycle?
Could also be carbon dioxide buildup. Don't worry, with a pH that low, it'll start dissolving the aragonite sand and getting calcium in the water, raising the pH, alkalinity, and calcium.

To Canyoubelieve it. ..I see three things so far:
1) one was a white undulating wormlike creature, about 3-4 mms, being tossed around in the current
2) today there is something crawling on the glass....I think it has a shell..it is extremely small so I"m not sure..almost looked like a conch-like shape
3) there is a circular purple area on the rock which is getting brighter in color and more noticeable....so..definitely life from dead appearing rocks.

To Chkltcow..thanks for coming back and keeping up with the thread. Keep me honest here. I'm following all the parameters and I'll update....my ammonia is steadily falling. SH

Shrimp

No cocktail sauce here. Shrimp in a nano-reef are supposed to be great cleaners. One of the interesting aspects of these inverts is that they can help to rid your fish of parasites. They can actually pick ich off your fish. Anyway, here are a few friendly ones.

1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp(scarlet cleaner shrimp): red with a white stripe and white dots near the tail. It can actually set up a cleaning station on the reef. Does not tolerate high levels of nitrates or copper and needs iodine for molting.
L_amboinensis_gregr.jpg

2) Blood Shrimp (Fire shrimp): one of the most popular shrimp to have in the aquarium. Doesn't get along with others of it's kind unless it's a mate. Prefers caves and overhangs away from the light. These may clean fish also and will clean up some leftover food. Does not tolerate high nitrates
blood_shrimp.jpg

3)Camel Shrimp (Hinge Beak Shrimp): has a movable jaw and has multiple white stripes on it's body. Prefers caves and crevices. May pick at certain corals (soft leather corals).
camel_shrimp.jpg

4) Peppermint Shrimp (Veined Shrimp): considered a scavenger, these guys might munch on one of the pests we see, Aiptasia. Won't tolerate any nitrates.
peppermint.jpg

P.O.I. : Look up the symbiosis of a pistol shrimp and certain goby fish, eg, a high fin goby. It maybe an interesting combo for the tank.

Next, hitchhikers. SH

Gotta jump in here and say that Blood shrimps are very very secretive and will not show themselves unless its feeding time (usually). To get around this problem its recomended to have 3 shrimps or more together, they are social and act similar ot the normal cleaner when in communal groups. I found my bloods to be totally secrative but now i have 3 of them (even in 200+ gallons) they are constantly out in the open and on view taking cleaning stations much like standard cleaners.
Whilst its true that 3 will bicker among themselves etc, its never anything more serious than a shortened tenticle when one gets too close for the othes comfort.
As for Copper.. you made mention that some of the shrimps wont tollerate copper in the system. No invert will tollerate copper in any form in the tank. be it shrimp, crab,coral or snail. Copper is incredibly toxic to these creatures and is the best form of treatment to fix whitespot (shame us reefkeepers cant use it :*) ).

Keep up the good work. :nod:

I'll add something else for you Steel. Peppermint shrimp "sway", which is a cleaner behaviour for shrimp. While I've never seen one clean a fish anywhere, they are quite brave and willing to come "clean" your hand if you reach down into the aquarium. With mine, I can hold a piece of food between my fingers and stick my hand down in the aquarium... and he'll come running out to crawl around my hand and eventually take the food. Absolutely fascinating little critter :)

As for your live sand... the worm almost certainly came from the rock. No problem... all sand becomes live sand over time. The purple spot on the rock is probably coraline algae.... a good thing. Give it time and everything in your tank will be covered in it..... powerheads, thermometer, heater suction cups, rock, etc. Hell, even your snails and hermit crab shells will probably get covered in coraline growth :)

Hi ..and thanks for tidying up the post. There is now a snail on the side of the tank glass...the shell looks conical, almost like a conch shell. I can't ID it yet. I may be crazy, but, I thought when I turned on the lights this morning, that round purple 'thing' was either closed up or standing on it's side like a purple dish. I'll keep an eye on it. SH

steelhealr said:
I may be crazy, but, I thought when I turned on the lights this morning, that round purple 'thing' was either closed up or standing on it's side like a purple dish. I'll keep an eye on it. SH
Describe the purple thing, or take a picture if you can. If it's moving, it could easily be a zoanthid polyp, or a mushroom. In my 5g tank, I had a gorgeous red mushroom show up, but somehow it broke off and ended up in never never land, probably sucked into my filter :( Screw the fish and stuff you add, part of what is so fascinating about saltwater aquariums is seeing all the life that emerges from your live rock :)

I totally agree with chkltcow....the big excitement at this stage is watching to see what comes out of that stuff. Some people can get amazing stuff. I'll try and take some pix...unfortunately, the dig cam has a zoom but doesn't seem to come out clear. I'll do my best. SH

...which leads to the next part.....

Hitchhikers (or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

The diversity of life in the ocean is truly amazing. What blows me away is the tenacity of some organisms and their ability to survive under the most adverse conditions. Thus...our live rock..it comes from halfway around the world. When it goes back into SW and cycles, wonderful things happen. Some coralline algae survives. Even certain corals. But what keeps us running to the tank? To see who popped up in the middle of the night. These are the 'hitchhiker's...things that were hiding in the LR and survived. Some, in fact, most, are beneficial to our cube. Others can be outright nasty.

By now, most who chose to follow this thread as a guide have their Nano Cube up and running. Therefore, the following is just a help in recognition, trying to keep a guide in one thread. If you see any of the following in your tank, some action may be necessary or none at all. I'll leave the 'treatment' details/techniques up to you.

The Good

Calcareous coralline algae: that colorful encrusting growth on the rock. Good quantities can mean good water quality and inhibit the growth of undesirable algae.
corallinealgae.jpg

Macroalgae: can help to keep nitrate to a minimum and provide food. Some can overproliferate and many nano-reefers prefer to keep it in their refugiums.
caulerpa.jpg

Sponges: add color to the reef. Filter the water and need nutrients (not photosynthetic).
YellowSponge2.jpg

Microcrustaceans: mollusks, small worms, echinoderms, copepods, amphipods etc.
Copepod.jpg

Featherduster worms: they filter water to get their food (not photosynthetic). Can be very attractive
featherduster.jpg

The Bad

Aiptasia anemones (glass anemone): these usually appear soon after the LR cycles. They may appear as light brown to nearly transparent growths that then spread like wildfire. They sting other inverts to make room for themselves. Trying to remove them manually may spread them or is impossible since they withdraw into the rock. Treatment includes rock removal, injection, finding a suitable predator that eats it.
Aiptasia.jpg

Mantis shrimp: Not shrimp at all, they are nocturnal predators with an evil weapon, their chelae. This attachment can spear or smash prey. They can split your finger easily, so, beware. Most aquarists become aware of it's presence when their livestock start disappearing. Treatment is to catch it with a trap. DON'T HANDLE IT!
mantis.jpg

Bristleworms: careful again. These worms have rows of bristles which can either cause a reaction or sting if touched. These worms are getting less of a bad rap except for a few species (hermodice carunculata) which can eat polyps. They actually eat detritus. They can get quite long. If problematic, they can be caught with traps.
bristle.jpg

Bubble Algae

Bubble Algae: Well, actually, some people think it is attractive in the tank.
Bubble algae is not necessarily a hitchhiker and may arrive in the first algae bloom. It is considered a pest in the mini-reef tank. Bubble algae can overrun your tank. It can't be controlled by reducing lighting or trying to 'starve it'. Best bet is to CAREFULLY remove it manually from the tank (bursting it may remove hundreds of spores). Emerald crabs eat it and some tangs ( but they are too big for the cube).
BubbleAlgaeRough2.jpg

More reading

Here are two links to do more reading on hitchhikers:
1) http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/index.html
2) http://www.reefcorner.com/hitchhikers.htm

Update

My tank is cycling faster than I thought for uncured. My parameters:

pH 7.6
ammonia 0
nitrite 0.125 ppm
nitrate 15 ppm
dH 8
s.g. 1.026

I topped off my water to bring it back down to 1.025 and I made SW yesterday. If my parameters are all 0 today, then it will be time for my first water change already. Hopefully that will bring the pH back up and drop the nitrates down. I also think that I am seeing some algae on the back of the LR in the back. If so, it's getting closer to adding the cleanup crew. No new life as yet. I'm still waiting for my other aliquot of live sand from someone's live tank...I'll have to watch for a recycle since it is being shipped and you don't want to add livestock if there is going to be more die off. SH

Adding Fish (or, now can I finally add Nemo)

ocellaris.jpg

There is not much room in the cube, so, one has to be very careful about adding fish. This part is the personal part, so, I am not going to do 'stocking suggestions'. Also, to post dozens of pictures of individual fish takes time and space. 'Googling' the image is the best way to go. So, just a few rules on the basics:

1) Make sure the tank is cycled and you've changed out your water. Zero across the board if possible with your parameters.

2) Go slow. No slam dunking and dumping all the fish in at once. Resist the 'just one more fish' urge.

3) Acclimation is extremely important...think drip method. Remember, you have pH, temperature and specific gravity to think about.

4) READ UP ON THE FISH YOU WANT TO ADD. They have differences in aggression, termperament, territorialness, eating behavior, etc. Many don't get along with similar sexes or types of their own kind and should not be in pairs. Some might pick at corals.

5) The most passive fish should be put in first; aggressive last.

6) Don't shoot me....there is the classic 1 inch of fish per 2 gallons still printed out there. Suffice it to say, buy fish that will stay small. On average, for our cube, 4-5 fish.

7) The dreaded word...quarantine. Yes, SW species should be quarantined. Think quarantine tank.

8 ) Resist the 'just one more fish' urge.

9) Know what and how much to feed. Overfeeding is a sure source of nitrates which are not tolerated in SW nano systems compared to FW.

10) Avoid the classic 'dumping the lfs' water into the tank.

Nano-Reef Fish

Here is a brief list of some common or popular nano fish:
1) Gobies: Green and Brown Clown Goby, Catalina Goby,Citrina, Court Jester, Hi Fin Red Banded, Neon Blue, Hector's, Orange Spotted, Two Spot, Watchman Gobies, Shrimp
2) Firefish: Purple
3) Clownfish: Black and White Percula, True Percula, Oscellaris
4) Blennies: Harptail, Barnacle, Black Lined, Red Sea Mimic, Bicolor
5) Wrasses: Six line, golden or canary
6) Basslets: Swissguard, Blackcap
7) Cardinalfishes: Pajama, Banggai, redtail
8 ) Clingfish
9) Jawfish: dusky and yellowhead
10) Damselfish.: can be very pugnacious and aggressive. Look at the Yellowtail Blue Damsel (chrysiptera parasema)
11) Royal Gramma
12) Dottybacks (Pseudochromis): caution, may be aggressive; less aggressive species are the Orchid Dottyback, Springer's and Sankey's (Black-and-White)
13) Hawkfish: flame
14) Assessors: Yellow and Blue

banggai02.jpg

Advanced Projects (or, hey, I'm getting the hang of this)

Almost done with this for the cube owner. Just a few final thoughts, some previously mentioned, for us Nano Cubers who started out stock and want to move up in the world.

Corals and Lighting

This is the Achilles heel of the present 24G Nano Cube DX.....lighting. Many corals including hard ones require moderate to intense lighting. Our cube will support some soft corals (softies). Examples are Ricordia and some Zoonanthids. So..one project is to DIY improve your lighting. Be aware that there are some heat issues involved with the hood. You can always check out this site, http://www.nanocustoms.com, run by a gentleman named Chris, who modifies the hoods. However, dont' jump ship if you dont' upgrade. Here is a link for the stock lighting on a 12G Nano.As for the corals, you're on your own now just like me.
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=52734

Refugiums

As we talked about earlier, many nano-reefers turn the back middle chamber of the cube into a refugium, an isolated/protected area separate from the main tank. Many place their macroalgae back here, but, again, lighting is the issue. You've seen my DIY which is awaiting setup. Try coming up with something unique. Someone is now looking into a submersible compact fluorescent light that will fit back there. Some have used an AquaClear filter cut into the back. Come up with a new idea.

Water Movement

I saw a post with a rough guide of 10X average flow; 15X good for 'softies'; 20X for hard corals. Design additional water movement for your tank. One of my SW gurus dremeled (a special drill) a hole in the top of the middle chamber and added another pump and outflow nozzle. I tried putting my stock pump in the first chamber but was unhappy with the results--churned up debris from the sponge in the chamber and angling the flow was difficult.

Skimmer

Skimming not only removes dissolved organics but also can removed dissolved nutrients. I think the majority of nano-reefers believe that regular water changes obviate the need for a skimmer. However, if you feel strongly about having one, you can try and design one. As of this date, there aren't any retail skimmers that fit in the cube that function well, unless, you want to open up the hood and use one periodically as an external one.
A surface skimmer is different from a protein skimmer. Here is a popular link on how someone used an old cassette cover as a surface skimmer:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ghlight=doriftu

Auto Topoff
Some people have come up with ways to have their tanks 'auto-topped-off'. They add a float switch and when the tank level drops, fresh water is automatically added. Here are a couple of links to ponder:
http://www.autotopoff.com/
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ht=float+switch

Moonlight LEDs

As you know by now, if you put your lights on a timer, you will not be able to use your moonlights since cutting off the power to the CPF's also cuts power to the LEDs. You could look into a way to rewire the LEDs in the hood or make your own. There are many links for this as well.

Last but not least....cube maintenance. SH

Ya know Parker....sensei...I"m not sure. LOL. After this whole thread, isn't that funny? I am thinking of a few things:

I am thinking of a pair of ocellaris and Banggai Cardinalfish
Hi Finned Goby looks interesting, so do Neon Goby's
Swissguard basslet looks cool.
A blenny..?type
Clingfish looks interesting...I have to do my research.

And Parker...you'll be in my 'acknowledgments' in the end LOLOL. SH

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I love the banggai cardinal! I was sooo tempted, but knew it wouldn't be a good fit for a 10g!

Most reactions

Back