24G Nano Cube DX Nano Reef Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nano165.jpg

Now that's macro mode. :good: Great-looking fish, I'm glad you found a companion/guardian for your shrimp.

llj :D

So SH, im planning some changes to my tank, and was wondering if the Hydor FLO you bougt could be utilised from a bulkhead fitting? It says you can utilise the FLO from an output, ie your return pump, but what about a bulhead? How did you attach it to your return pump?

I FINALLY found some cheatomorpha! WOOOT! I heard a "tumbling" motion is beneficial, so ive put it in a modified container, so water flows ina cirucular motion. Its under my 4x30W flouro's. 2 are actinic. What are your water stats? Do you add any element, ie Iron? )I know you dont add anything you dont test for, but I heard it is beneficial for cheato).

SH! This is an awesome thread like others have said. . .

Just wondering when an update will come for just?? How's the crack? Plus did you ever mention what the manufac. said??

The crack has stayed stable. The manufacturer sent me a whole new tank which sits in my basement out of fear. I will eventually set that up as a prop tank. SH

The crack has stayed stable. The manufacturer sent me a whole new tank which sits in my basement out of fear. I will eventually set that up as a prop tank. SH

SH: Thanks, I spent several horus over a week reading your story. I bought the 24DX when I started reading. I was horrified to read about your crack last night. I know you have a warning on page one, but if you recommend nobody buy the 24DX, you should place that on the front page as well along with a date so we know it's a current issue. If I knew, I would have held off.

Thanks for the great posts! It is comforting to newbies to see how successful you were. Can you give more detail on the crack? What did you do about it? Not just on the tank, but with the LFS and the manufacturer. Apparently the manuf. sent you a new tank? Did you call them? I'd appreciate any info you can give on the matter.

Again, thanks for such a great thread!

Chris

1. What do you think about cycling with "dead" rock and sand? The goal being to eliminate hitchhikers. Can I buy biological fitlers "off the shelf" and use them instead of live rock to cycle the tank?

2. Does a quarantine tank (with no LR or LS) cycle? How does mantainint a QT differ from a show tank? Presumably both need filters, light, and water changes.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Found this on the internet regarding 24G nanocube cracks:

Make sure you buy a 2006 version which comes with a skimmer and serial number.

SH: Did your NC come wiht a skimmer and serial number? Mine did so I hope I'm okay.

Chris

You should be OK...only the 2006 model comes with the skimmer and serial number. Your tank is made with thicker glass and should be stronger. WTG. SH

The only update I have is that my system is still running well, but, but ran into some difficulties this summer. Family obligations kept me away from my regular maintenance and I ran into algae problems. For nano-ers out here, it was MY FAULT not some unknown reason why. I will post an updated pic after I have cleaned up shop. SH

Hey there!

Just poking around the forums and thought I'd see how your tank is going. I hope you got those algae problems under control, I know how frustrating it can be! Glad the goby settled right in and took over watch of the shrimp!
--Kristin

Few questions re:actual tank.

What are the dimensions of the lest chamber?
Do you have any problems with the ph as a result off excess co2?

Thanks Scott

Note to JBJ nano cube owners -

I would have an small, empty aquarium available in your house in case of emergency. After a year of hard work developing a beautiful 24 g nano i had a had a wall crack open and spray 2/3 of the water onto my living room floor. This occured without anyone touching the tank. The crack occured around one of the rounded corners and upon research this is where they tend to crack. I cleaned the corners regularly with a razor blade to remove coralline buildup.

Be extra careful when cleaning these edges and if possible have a spare tank available. It is enough to make a grown man weep to see a year of work (and dollars) on a reef come crashing down due to structural insecurity.

I know you have given this warning in the past Steel; I foolishly thought it wouldn't happen to me. Don't mean to be ominous; just a warning.

Bill

did the light work out alright for the cheato? i want to do it for mine. where did you get the light from?

Most reactions

Back