24G Nano Cube DX Nano Reef Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi..he was supposed to ship to me overnite, Fedex, the next day after payment. The next day he claimed his back was out and he would ship the following day. It arrived at the usual Fedex time around 930A. When I opened the bag is was RANK...worse then rotten eggs. It was double bagged with some newspaper around the outside. No heater pack. SH

Its usually suppose to be in a styrofoam container the only way to get it to your house overnight is fly it at those altitudes it gets very cold with not enough adicute insulation and a heat pack it could have gotten really cold and stressed it out a lot. And dont know if he did this but there suppose to put pure oxygen in the bag when flying it overnight.

..there was no heater..styrofoam, yes..no heater. I'll keep you posted..he claims he is going to replace it. SH

I thought inverts wernt sposed to touch air? Or something to that effect? Or was that sponges....????

Sponges...
There are many coral reefs that are exposed on low tides and spend a few hours in the midday sun etc. most corals can survive for a while out of water. Sponges however are not thesame, they can get air trapped inside their bodies and this will then rot away their internal structures and kill the spponge.
Starfish are supposed to be the same but it has been proven that starfish do not suffer as badly from exposure to the air as people first thought. Saying that however doesnt mean its ok to do it and I still recomend that starfish arent exposed to the air as its not natural for them and as these creatures are extremly hard to acclimatise its just a risk that shouldnt be taken

I've heard that sponges have very small pores thru which plankton can flow and that air can block these pores. I think the problem is multifactorial, but, as Navarre says, air is lethal to some inverts, particularly sponges. SH

The battle is on....my tank is slowly being overrun by cyanobacteria (red slime algae). I attribute the start of it to the loss of the green clown goby under the rocks, and then, the death of the brain coral. It's slowly spreading and I have multiple areas of wavy strings and splotches over the substrate. I hope I'm successful. I'm doing all the usual recommendations for treating this EXCEPT chemicals/antibiotics and not using a skimmer. If I continue to lose, I may have to invest in one. For now, the garage is a massive SW change factory.......So Parker, are you still with me? and you were concerned about hair algae? SH

JJ..if you decide to add a skimmer, there are only one of three ways to do it on this system:

1) Use and external skimmer and drill holes thru the back part of the hood to run the tubes thru

2) Use and hang on and leave the hood open and skim at nights..assuming you don't want to leave that big gorilla hangin' on like the Empire State Bldg

3) DIY...build your own to fit in the back chamber...there are DIYs on some of the forums

oooops.....there is a 4...wait until JBJ comes out with one . I don't skim..at least for now. SH

So far, still battling the cyano (red slime algae). It's tough to keep my hands away from Chemi-Clean, which is an antibiotic that will melt it away. But...I'm staying the course. Many resources claim that cyano starts because of low flow and to increase flow, yada yada. I'm really starting to doubt this claim. I have 20X flow in my tank and it makes no difference except to blow it around. I've started using small plastic tubing connected to air hose to reduce the cyano load by vacuuming it off and using a spoon to scoop some away.

1) I'm dumping the Oceanic Sea Salt....way too low in alkalinity and I have to constantly add buffer to maintain pH and dkH. I'm switching to Tropic Marin...it's getting good ratings from others using it

2) I've pulled my temporary sponge and I'm trying something called Pura Filter...a polyfiter impregnated pad. I'm only using it while 'cleaning up' the after maths of the brain fiasco.

3) New additions:

coral11.jpg

coral10.jpg

Can you ID them? One is easy, the other? SH

Bingo Salt Freak...Caulastrea curvata or trumpet coral. My first LPS coral. The other are zooanthids. SH

Hi....If you read the marine posts here, I'm sure that you've seen that Navarre and Parker have suffered some tough times here. Navarre recently lost some fish that were in his tank for a long time and Parker has been pulling her hair out (sorry) over hair algae. Also, see the 'Disaster' post listed above. Well, I'm not immune to 'disaster' either. As you know, I had very good initial success with my 24 month old 24G Nano Cube until my tank suffered two insults, one unavoidable and one an error in judgement. I had achieved the '0' nitrates trophy and diatom scraping was down to almost once a week. Then, like others here, I got nailed.

Insult 1, accidental.....I purchased and acclimated a green clown goby which when released into the tank, bolted for the rocks and disappeared never to be seen again. Several weeks later I had my first cyano. Fortunately, it disappeared with a turkey baster, vacuuming and a great cleanup crew. I posted this pic on the cyano article above of my astrea eating it:

nano29.jpg

Insult 2, error in judgement.....I purchased a brain coral over the internet and when it arrived, I had strong suspicions that it was DOA. I tried to save it without success and the brain disintegrated and contaminated my tank. The resulting cyano bloom was disastrous. It's not easy to post these pix in front of everyone, but, if this helps someone else, my pride can take second place. Like many others, I have crystal clear water, good coralline growth and '0 params' except for my nitrates which rose to 10 ppm after the brain death (pardon the pun). I have 20X water flow and minimally feed my three small nano fish..by hand sometimes to avoid excess. Even wash off my mysid shrimp to get rid of the liquid. Check out what a dead coral can do to your tank:

cyano4.jpg

cyano6.jpg

cyano3.jpg

Would you believe that these pictures were taken one day after I completely scooped all that cyano off?

So, what do you do? I never added anything to any of my tanks, FW or SW, except buffer. Desperate times require desperate measures. I had that darn E-M tab over the rear chambers of my tank several times, pulling it away and refusing to drop it in. Well, I caved the other day. I started treating my tank. Today is day three of treatment, and, so far, I see 90% resolution and no loss to livestock or corals. I tested my parameters this morning early:

pH 8.0
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
nitrates 10
dkH 10
s.g. 1.026

So far, no sign of loss of my biological filter. I will be back to give people follow-up. I have to do a 25% water change tonite after work and several more days to go. Also, in response to my frustration with this, I posted a thread on cyano, as you see above.

I realize that erythromycin is not the answer to poor water quality, however, if a diabetic patient with out of control glucose comes in with a massive foot infection, you'd treat the infection and then get the 'sugar under control'. I made the decision to do the same. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS APPROACH at the present time as my results are premature and good water husbandry is the primary wat to go. SH

Thanks Salt Freak....the EM tabs are the same as in Chemi-Clean...erythomycin. My tank is nearly clean now...can't believe how white the sand is. Treatment is not over yet tho'. Big water change to be done tonite. SH

Most reactions

Back