24G Nano Cube DX Nano Reef Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Thanks Navarre. I am in contact with JBJLighting. Apparently, this is a large scale problem. I will keep everyone informed, but, at present, I think it is wise to hold off on purchasing one until this works out.

BTW..my tank looks the way it does from support from you and others here. Take some credit fellow aquarist. SH :cool:

The AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer, Anatomy Lesson for Us Newbs

I was able to get my hands on a used AquaC Remora protein skimmer, and,having never seen or handled one, thought that others might be curious to understand how it works. We all know that our Nano Cubes don't come supplied with a protein skimmer, nor is there one made specifically to fit in our back sumps (yet). So, after a previous poll, AquaC Remora and CPR BakPak came up as the most popular protein skimmers. Let's take a look at the AquaC Remora.

What is a Protein Skimmer, etc

Here is a link to a prior page on this thread ( page 9) trying to summarize protein skimmers, thoughts on decision making on whether or not to use one and a poll on which types are popular here in this forum:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=84931&st=128

The Remora

skimmer1.jpg

In general,with the AquaC Remora, a powerhead head forces water thru a port that creates an air induction spray. Bubbles are formed and various proteins and waste 'adhere' to the bubble secondary to hydrophilic attachments.This column of bubbles works it way upwards to the surface of the skimmer where they are trapped in a cup. The cup is then emptied.

Basic Anatomy

On intial 'examination', the Remora was much larger than I expected and has a homemade type of appearance. It's pretty hefty. The skimmer has:
1) a removable cup/tank to empty skimmate

skimmer3.jpg

2) plastic screws to adjust the leveling against the tank and one to adjust the height of the cup for a 'wet' skim or 'dry' skim.
3) a Maxijet 1200 pump; some come with a Rio 800

skimmer2.jpg

4) an internal sufrace skimmer (I think this sells separately) which hides the pump but is too large, IMO, for our nano's

Positioning

The skimmer is large and fits best on the side of the tank.
skimmer4.jpg

Although the tubing that comes with the skimmer is tough and durable, I substituted some green Eheim filter tubing to shorten it or the pump would be hitting the LR. In fact, it could be shortened more.
skimmer5.jpg

The tank hood has to be left open, and, therefore, skimming is obviously going to be done overnight.

Throw the Switch Igor

When you turn on the skimmer, the pump fills the tank and skimming starts. The pump is not loud at all. The tank fills, aeration starts, and the water cascades out of the side of the Remora back out into the tank. With regards to our nano cubes:

1) it lowers the water level and I had to turn off the powerhead in chamber 1
2) you have to be careful about the depth of the pump when putting in the skimmer so it doesn't hit LR and coral
3) there is some strong water movement near the pump, so, again, needs to keep clear of corals

Within minutes after cranking this baby up, foam starts forming in the cup:

skimmer6.jpg

The height of the cup can be adjusted up, for a 'dry' skim or lower for a 'wet' skim. My first try with it I used the lowest level and after about 8 hours overnight, there was about 30-50ccs of greenish turbid fluid in there but nothing as horrible or foul smelling as some of the pix I've seen posted here. At present, it seems more of a PITA than it's worth, but, I have yet to see how this works over the long term. An experiment in progress. SH

Your Zoanthids look amazing, your tank looks great, hopefully you get the crack problem sorted out, it is a shame but a lesson to others and i guess thats the point of your thread.

Im just a lurker in this section, i keep freshwater tropicals and planted tanks, but i have been following your thread with great interest and i have to say it has whetted my appetite for a reef setup, so i just wanted to comment and wish you luck, great thread.

And someday hopefully ill be the newbie in this section posting threads, lots of cool reefers in this section of the board.

:)

Ziq...thanks so much for your great comments. When you're ready to go, we're ready to help you. I still have 10G and 46G FW tanks and they are beautiuful, but, there is just something different about that marine tank. Just so unusual and all sorts of things happening all the time. SH

New tank addition. Always wanted to have one of these guys. Now we'll have to see if he'll survive on the phyto and zooplankton:

nano47.jpg

SH

Bulkhead and Loc-line 101, or, I wish I had known this before I set up

One of the mods for a Nano Cube is putting your stock pump in chamber one and having the outflow exit from chamber two...or..some put the pump in two if they don't have a refugium and the outflow exits from above.

Since my tank was already stocked, I didn't want to do any drilling so I made a 'bulkheadless' outflow which is on previous page on this thread here. But...for those curious about this BEFORE they stock their tank, here are some of the parts needed. There are many ways to do this. Also not shown is a wrench that clips these parts together. The pictures start from top down:

nano45.jpg

1) bulkhead..basically a large screw with a rubber gasket that gives you a conduit between a wall. The one pictured is a 1/2" bulkhead. You would need to drill or dremel a hole 1 1/8" wide to insert this
2) 1/2 inch Loc-line flexible tubing; it bends almost to a right angle. The end fits snugly on the 'sump side' of the bulkhead.
3) 1/2" Loc-line ball socket elbow
4) 1/2" Loc-line ball socket MPT connector; this can screw into tank-side part of the ulkhead easily
5) 1/2" Loc-line 2.5 inch flare nozzle

Laying them out flat in one configuration, you can see how this would fit through the sump wall:

nano46.jpg

NB: there are many types of connections, eg, you may not need the elbow connector.

SH

Thought I'd post some updated tank shots:

nano57.jpg

nano56.jpg

The latest corals that I've added are:

Acanthastrea echinata, rainbow

nano52.jpg

EUphyllia ancora

nano51.jpg

tubastrea aurea

nano48.jpg

Gorgonia sp.

nano50.jpg

Discomia (actinodiscus)

nano49.jpg

The tubastrea (Orange Cup Coral or Sun Coral) are not photosynthetic and are turning out to be a PIA to feed, LOL.

SH

Wow man, great tank.
I am happy to see people finally taking their time and doing it right, all the hard work and waiting paid off for you, weldone.

Thanks CK...actually, it was the people here who got me off in the right direction. Some directly, some indirectly. Inchworm helped me in FW. CFC impressed me with his incredible variety of fish species. Parker313 caught my eye with her tank (search out her post). Navarre guided me into SW. Support was a major help...comments from Mr. Miaggi, Grey Legion, Crazywolf, Parker313, Chac, chkltcow...tons of others. Stay with us....you'll do fine. SH

This was one of the first coral frags I received. The polyps never opened. After 2 weeks I scrubbed, washed it with FW, rinsed and put it in the back of the tank as an extra piece of LR. Look who came back. Hardy, ay? SH

nano58.jpg

Well..had some bad luck yesterday. I came back from dinner to find my firefish had gotten trapped behind my cassette skimmer mod and died. That was sad. I really liked that fish...so, will definitely have to find a replacement.

I recently added a gorgonian to the tank, knowing full well that there was some difficulty involved. They are rated as difficult to keep, but, I researched and picked one out that had the greatest chance of surviving under my stock lighting...a purple sea whip. Last night, during a water change, both my emerald crab and a trochus snail were climibing up it and picking at it. It also is starting to 'brown out', not uncommon for inverts requiring high lighting (like SPS) when they are under a lower setup. If it poops out, it wasn't expensive at all so, won't be a great loss. Sorry for the slightly blurry pic.

nano60.jpg

Also, took a top down pic:

nano59.jpg

I'm contemplating adding the following:
1) Wheeler's watchman goby
2) pistol shrimp
3) pineapple brain.

SH

I posted this in a FW post and I'm including it in my thread. There is a fascinating symbiosis that occurs between two saltwater animals, a type of shrimp called a pistol shrimp, named because of a clicking sound the shrimp makes when threatened, and a particular type of goby called a watchman. This symbiosis is best seen with the Randalls banded pistol shrimp and the Yashia Haze goby.

The goby, which has excellent vision defends the cave that the pistol shrimp and goby live in. The shrimp, which has poor vision, brings food back to the cave to share with the goby and maintains the cave. The shrimp will even close up the cave at night which will be reopened in the morning by the goby as it exits.

Well, I ordered these two pair for my tank over the internet. Both arrived yesterday. The shrimp was great, however, the goby appeared near death while acclimating:

yashigoby.jpg

I released the pistol shrimp after he acclimated but 'quasi quarantined' the goby in netting. I thought he was going to die and didn't want it to get lost in the live rock and contaminate the tank. Well, this morning the goby looked better, but not moving. This evening it appeared upright and was moving it's gills. I decided to release it.

The goby swam and floundered a bit, but, eventually stayed upright in the tank:

yashigoby2.jpg

My sixline even came up to check out the new addition:

yashigoby1.jpg

Wouldn't you know it...the goby made it's way to the left side of the tank where there was a pile of sand near the rock. The pistol had dug a cave. The goby found it, the pistol came out and 'assisted' the goby into the hole. The pistol is 'tending' to the goby now who is making a push for survival. Life is amazing. SH

What a beautiful fish! He looks like he might be coming around so lets hope so!

Did you test the bag water? I wonder why he was near death? Poor little fela! he looks a bit skinny ATM, lets hope with the pistol "attending" to his wounds, he'll push through! :nod: Im sure he benefitted from expert care when he arrived! :thumbs:

PS, thanks for the mention in your post on July 19th! :*) I didnt notice it! Youve done a terrific thread, and an amazing tank! Whens the bigger one coming? :lol:

mr_miagi32 said:
What a beautiful fish! He looks like he might be coming around so lets hope so!

Did you test the bag water? I wonder why he was near death? Poor little fela! he looks a bit skinny ATM, lets hope with the pistol "attending" to his wounds, he'll push through! :nod: Im sure he benefitted from expert care when he arrived! :thumbs:

PS, thanks for the mention in your post on July 19th! :*) I didnt notice it! Youve done a terrific thread, and an amazing tank! Whens the bigger one coming? :lol:
[snapback]854752[/snapback]​

Actually...I would like to get a larger tank ..but...this one is keeping me busy enough despite it's small size. If I had to point out one area that I still find very intimidating, is, the plumbing for sumps. LOLOL. Anyway, thanks for the comments Mr. Miaggi...you've been here for a bit..I'm surprised they haven't asked you to be a moderator by now. SH

steelhealr said:
Wouldn't you know it...the goby made it's way to the left side of the tank where there was a pile of sand near the rock. The pistol had dug a cave. The goby found it, the pistol came out and 'assisted' the goby into the hole. The pistol is 'tending' to the goby now who is making a push for survival. Life is amazing. SH
[snapback]854709[/snapback]​

Woohoo! You know it's a must that you name the pair something witty.... Glad the Goby is in good hands now.

Thanks for your kind words earlier in the post. You are the reason I got into SW and it has been very rewarding. The things you have done with your tank have helped me and so many others build a successful reef without some of the headaches of learning something completely new.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

EDIT: I so OWN page 15.....LOL

Most reactions

Back