125l Beginner Community Tank Stocking Review/Suggestions

I'm seriously torn between these and ember tetra to go in my otocinclus tank. I was thinking of leaving it oto only, but since they're most active at night and not really ones that swim around the tank constantly, the tank looks really empty and bare during the day, so getting some nano softwater fish to go with them is really appealing to me now. In the 15 gallon with just five otos, which do you think? How many highlighter fish or embers, or could I do both?
Get em. I just wanna see pics n footage of em on here and YouTube on a regular basis.
My waters gonna need 50% ROing at least to accomodate em so it’ll be a long time coming if at all.

barbs gonna barb!
@mbsqw1d what do you think? Odessas would probably chomp any nano sized fish, you think?

Yeh I'm fairly certain the Odessa would treat them as lunch.. maybe not juvenile Odessa, but once they get bigger if they catch hold of one they'll rip it to pieces like a pack of wolves. This is what I'll be researching next, dwellers/dithers for the Odessa

Last edited:
Would eat them or could eat them?
Would if they could catch them

I'm seriously torn between these and ember tetra to go in my otocinclus tank. I was thinking of leaving it oto only, but since they're most active at night and not really ones that swim around the tank constantly, the tank looks really empty and bare during the day, so getting some nano softwater fish to go with them is really appealing to me now. In the 15 gallon with just five otos, which do you think? How many highlighter fish or embers, or could I do both?
Id pick 1. Ember tetras are a little slower moving, kubotai rasboras never ever ever sit still

Id pick 1. Ember tetras are a little slower moving, kubotai rasboras never ever ever sit still
Thank you :D It would probably look more stunning and suit them better to have a larger school of just one species anyway. How many highlighters do you think would work in the 15.5 gallon? Or how many embers?

It might come down to price and what my LFS can get hold of in the end

Thank you :D It would probably look more stunning and suit them better to have a larger school of just one species anyway. How many highlighters do you think would work in the 15.5 gallon? Or how many embers?

It might come down to price and what my LFS can get hold of in the end
Probably easily could go 15 of either

Agree. The kubotai are completely hyper. They like (but don't require) high flow and it makes for a very enrgetic tank. Embers are much more laid back and relaxing to watch. Both are schooling fish.

Wow, those fish are stunning! (sorry for the late reply, one of our cats has been ill the past few days, so i've been a little side-tracked) I would worry about them being lunch for the dwarf cichlids if I included any though.

Most reactions

Back