125l Beginner Community Tank Stocking Review/Suggestions

Thank you for the kind words, and the encouragement! Yeah, i've noticed that some people can be a little.. callous when it comes to fish-keeping (just look a few posts down from this one, yikes), so I try to be cautious. I just want to make sure the finished tank is pleasing both for me and for the life within :) I think I mentioned it previously, but many (16-ish) years ago when i was young, i had a tropical fish tank (can't remember too much of it). I wasn't really sure what i was doing, and ended up taking most of my advice from a local-ish chain shop, and my folks had a 'eh, see how it goes' approach to the whole thing. I remember it lasted quite some time, but i think that was more luck than judgement. I vaguely remember a young silver shark in there towards the end, and i'm sure the tank was too small for that! In the end i think new stock brought in an illness which decimated the tank, and put me off the hobby for a long time. While i was young at the time, i know i made a lot of mistakes with that first tank, and I'm trying my best to make sure i don't make them again :S

Thank you for the kind words, and the encouragement! Yeah, i've noticed that some people can be a little.. callous when it comes to fish-keeping (just look a few posts down from this one, yikes), so I try to be cautious. I just want to make sure the finished tank is pleasing both for me and for the life within :) I think I mentioned it previously, but many (16-ish) years ago when i was young, i had a tropical fish tank (can't remember too much of it). I wasn't really sure what i was doing, and ended up taking most of my advice from a local-ish chain shop, and my folks had a 'eh, see how it goes' approach to the whole thing. I remember it lasted quite some time, but i think that was more luck than judgement. I vaguely remember a young silver shark in there towards the end, and i'm sure the tank was too small for that! In the end i think new stock brought in an illness which decimated the tank, and put me off the hobby for a long time. While i was young at the time, i know i made a lot of mistakes with that first tank, and I'm trying my best to make sure i don't make them again :S
Most of us have been there! I've only been keeping tanks myself for a year, but my parents always had a tank as I was growing up, and they used to have an aquatics business. I thought I was ahead of the game by learning about the nitrogen cycle, cycling my tank before adding fish, understocking and having live plants etc. But I'd heard on videos and read around, didn't really understand how pH, KH and GH interacted with each other, or how important it was to pick fish suited to your hardness. I just wanted a little guppy and shrimp tank, nothing crazy.

But my parents knowledge is about 40 years out of date, when people used to throw hard and softwater fish in together, and rarely do water changes and filter cleaning and stuff. I researched tankmates for guppies, and otocinclus were recommended everywhere, even my fish store said they'd be great in my tank since it was three months old, plenty of algae, they'd be fine with guppies and shrimp etc, so I got eight of them in the end. It was only when I came here that I learned about hardness, KH, pH etc. I'd been told not to worry about it unless keeping really sensitive fish. My water is perfect for guppies, but way too hard for otos. But since the damage done is internal, and mine appeared to be thriving over the nine months or so I had them in there, I had no idea it was harming them. Google "guppies and otos" and you'll see them recommended as tank mates in loads of places, even though their water requirements are incompatible.

I've now set up another tank, so one has the guppies and shrimp, and my hard tapwater, while the otos are in the other in softer water, but the damage has probably already been done and shortened their lifespan. I've lost two of them over the last month. Appeared healthy and well, and suddenly died with no obvious cause, so it's likely being in that hard water for so long caused mineral build up in their kidneys.

I feel awful that my mistake and the gap in my research hurt these little fish that I love a lot. But all you can do is improve as you learn. Mine have a pretty great life compared to what happens to a lot of otos, all I can do now is make their tank as perfect for them as I can, and I'll be a better oto keeper for the next ones. We've all made mistakes or had a disaster tank, especially when you were a kid! Kids can't be expected to take in everything you need to know, or research fish species and understand things like pH, KH and GH. Be kind to yourself, you're being very careful and thorough. :)

Just a couple of questions before i stop bothering everyone (temporarily): Firstly, just to clarify the rule of only one species of gourami/Cichlid per tank, would that also include for example multiple different Apistogramma, or other similar species? I assume it would, but thought i'd double-check.
Secondly, before I finalise the stocking list (i say finalise lightly, as availability can mean that the best laid plans..), I though i'd do one last double-check to see if there any any small groups/individual species of interesting fish/etc I could slip into the mix? I'm not looking to double dip on feature fish, as that has been mentioned to be unwise, just wondering if there was a way to bump the species variety up just one notch before all hell breaks loose in the tank! Not looking for huge of dramatic fish, just maybe one or 2 of something just to mix it up. Not necessarily even fish, though i know snails are a no-go due to the water chemistry, and smaller shrimp will most likely fall prey to the Apisto..

@essjay answered the apistogramma/cichlid question, I concur. As for additional fish species, yes, there is space for more provided they fit in with the existing fish respecting their requirements, behaviours, etc.

Many of the shoaling characins (tetras, hatchetfish, pencilfish) from South America could be considered, and there are a few cyprinids (rasbora here as they are less active and more peaceful than danios or barbs which would upset the applecart) that would work.

The Harlequin Rasbora is one of three species in the genus Trigonostigma, and is the largest of the three though still peaceful. [A fourth species in the genus, T. somphongsi, has a dark broad stripe (rather than a triangular mark common to the other three species) that runs laterally below an iridescent stripe; this species occurs in the basin and floodplain of the Menam River in Thailand and is very rare.] My personal favourite (having had all three over the years) is T. hengeli, which are smaller and tend to shoal together even more tightly, at mid-tank. This species has the iridescent copper patch beside the "axe" mark which is quite stunning in a tank with floating plants as the fish really shine like little lamps.

Oh, those T. hengeli are beautiful! I don't know how easy they will be to find, but if i come across them in stock anywhere i may consider 10 or so of them instead of the 8 Harlequin Rasbora I had planned. That means there will be a smaller shoal of larger(?) fish, and a larger shoal of smaller ones in the tank. Thanks for the information :)

My local Maidenhead Aquatics often has T. hengeli - they call them copper rasboras.

I have the third of the three species which Byron referred to - T. espei, common names lambchop rasboras, slender rasboras, espe's rasboras. This is also smaller than harlequins. You can find details of the three harlequin like species and T. somphongsi here

My local Maidenhead Aquatics often has T. hengeli - they call them copper rasboras.

I have the third of the three species which Byron referred to - T. espei, common names lambchop rasboras, slender rasboras, espe's rasboras. This is also smaller than harlequins. You can find details of the three harlequin like species and T. somphongsi here
Thanks for the link, i'll have a further read up on the different species before fully deciding then :)

(Apologies for the double post)

After reading up, I think the T. hengeli will be the preferred choice, though that will depend on availability (we do have a Maidenhead Aquatics relatively nearby however, so hopefully that won't be too bad). That gives the tank one large shoal, one medium shoal, one pair, one individual, and 2 oddballs (shrimp), so that sounds pretty good. I guess by the lack of responses in that area, there aren't any more individual/pair/small group fish that would mesh well with the current list. In that case, are there maybe any shoaling fish that prefer smaller groups? one small shoal of 3-5 would probably balance quite nicely. Though the fish suggested so far seem to prefer groups of 6-8 or more, so i'm not sure if there are any that 'fit the bill' so to speak.

I would increase the groups of the two shoaling fish, hatchets and if you get the smaller rasbora. A group of 12 of the latter, and 9-10 of the hatchets.

Shoaling species live in groups usually of hundreds. The need for the group is part of the "expectations" programmed into the species DNA. The more there are in an aquarium, in most cases the better the fish will respond and that means healthier. When selecting fish, having fewer species but more of them is preferable to more species with fewer--thinking here of the shoaling species.

If this were my 29g tank (same dimensions), using what you already have but with 9 hatchets, 12 hengeli rasboras, and the other odds and ends mentioned, I would still be looking for another two or three shoaling species. There are "nano" species that will work here as well as some more common or basic shoalers.

Thanks again for the reply! what sort of species are these 'nano shoalers' you mentioned? And i'll look at increasing the size of the other two shoals as well, so thanks for the advice in that regard :)

(Apologies for the double post)

After reading up, I think the T. hengeli will be the preferred choice, though that will depend on availability (we do have a Maidenhead Aquatics relatively nearby however, so hopefully that won't be too bad). That gives the tank one large shoal, one medium shoal, one pair, one individual, and 2 oddballs (shrimp), so that sounds pretty good. I guess by the lack of responses in that area, there aren't any more individual/pair/small group fish that would mesh well with the current list. In that case, are there maybe any shoaling fish that prefer smaller groups? one small shoal of 3-5 would probably balance quite nicely. Though the fish suggested so far seem to prefer groups of 6-8 or more, so i'm not sure if there are any that 'fit the bill' so to speak.

If you are in North Wales, you should take a trip to Pier Aquatics in Wigan (to be fair if you lived in France I'd tell you to go) its really an amazining shop and worth a day trip. They will likely have the rarer species you want and probably some you dont know exist :)

Wills

If you are in North Wales, you should take a trip to Pier Aquatics in Wigan (to be fair if you lived in France I'd tell you to go) its really an amazining shop and worth a day trip. They will likely have the rarer species you want and probably some you dont know exist :)

Wills
Sadly I live in Mid-Wales, and that would be a little farther than i'd like to travel, but I looked it up and that looks like an amazing shop! May have to make a day trip there if I'm feeling adventurous.

Thanks again for the reply! what sort of species are these 'nano shoalers' you mentioned? And i'll look at increasing the size of the other two shoals as well, so thanks for the advice in that regard :)

Hyphessobrycon amandae (Ember Tetra), Boraras brigittae (chilli rasbora, other cpommon names too). Nano need larger groups, I would acquire 12-15 of any of these species.

Thanks for the detailed information :) I think i finally (i know!) have enough information to build an approximate stocking list :D I'll use that to help set up the hardscape and planting, then leave that for a long while to cycle. Thanks again to all of you for the assistance!! Just to be cheeky, anyone have any good plant recommendations that are particular favourites of any species mentioned so far? i already have a few ideas in mind in regards to planting but I thought i'd ask anyway :) Already picked up a nice 'centerpiece' bit of bogwood, as well as a couple of smaller bits just in case, and some 'inert' rocks for the hardscaping. Just waiting on the substrate at the moment.
IMG_20200901_152221_resized_20200902_010836851.jpg
IMG_20200901_152243_resized_20200902_010837135.jpg

Not sure whether or not to stand it up for the verticality, or have it on its side like this where it more resembles some morbid skull.. :S well, i'll have plenty of time to think about it. (i've already been soaking them for a few days, but i'll leave them in a little longer)

Most reactions

Back