Yf Can Taste The Salt..

You do top ups with fresh ro water and water changes with salted ro :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

ok, thanks seffie, wont topping up with pure ro and no salt alter the sg of the tank?

No, as you rightly said, salt does not evaporate but the water does :good:

Just to clarify: Skimmers remove organic waste

Seffie x

You do top ups with fresh ro water and water changes with salted ro :good:

Seffie x

ok, thanks seffie, wont topping up with pure ro and no salt alter the sg of the tank?

No, as you rightly said, salt does not evaporate but the water does :good:

Just to clarify: Skimmers remove organic waste

Seffie x

ok, thanks :)
the plan was to get a 125litre and start it off brackish with a tetratec ex1200 external filter, can i use the external for salties though, as its live rock isnt it

Yeah you can adam, just remove the bioballs etc. and fill it with Live Rock rubble.

YF

I ran an external on my brackish tank :good:

you are going to have a problem though if you want to raise the sg and then put in live rock for filtration. You are likely to get a mini cycle which will harm you puffer unless you have something else to keep him in whilst adding your live rock. Or maybe you are not going to add live rock?

Seffie x

Yeah you can adam, just remove the bioballs etc. and fill it with Live Rock rubble.

YF

This wouldn't work YF - the problem would still be the same, a mini cycle at the best

People only usually run carbon in a salty tank if they are keeping softies such as toadstools with hard corals.

Seffie x

Im sure I said somthing about having a mini-cycle before but carnt remember what he said.
:p

YF

I ran an external on my brackish tank :good:

you are going to have a problem though if you want to raise the sg and then put in live rock for filtration. You are likely to get a mini cycle which will harm you puffer unless you have something else to keep him in whilst adding your live rock. Or maybe you are not going to add live rock?

Seffie x

YF

This wouldn't work YF - the problem would still be the same, a mini cycle at the best

Seffie x

as i have talked to neale monks about, raising the sg a little over a period of time wont effect the bacteria in the filter, i was hoping to keep the what will be 1 year old mature tetratec ex1200, with its old media, and then run that with the live rock for a while, can you do this? and then put live rock rubble in the filter?

or is it best to have no live rock at all, and get a replica?- i love all the little creatures though

please advise
adam

Adam, what she is saying is when you add LR to the tank, there is a high chance there will be ammonia,nitrite and nitrates for a couple of days, if not a couple of weeks.

YF

Adam, what she is saying is when you add LR to the tank, there is a high chance there will be ammonia,nitrite and nitrates for a couple of days, if not a couple of weeks.

YF

oh, i get you, that comes in with the rock?
maybe i will have to find a new home for mr puff during that time

Adam, it doesnt come with the rock its from Die off on the rock. So say if the rock is out of the water for abit, it will cause die off which will cause ammonia etc etc. But you just put it in saltwater and leave it and it cycles itself.

YF

- Seffie, Adam etc etc. You can all talk on this forum I dont mind lol makes me look popular. :D

Adam, it doesnt come with the rock its from Die off on the rock. So say if the rock is out of the water for abit, it will cause die off which will cause ammonia etc etc. But you just put it in saltwater and leave it and it cycles itself.

YF

- Seffie, Adam etc etc. You can all talk on this forum I dont mind lol makes me look popular. :D

oooOOOooo get you :p

Most reactions

Back