Would This Be Alright...

haha i really dont know how many cm these fish are though

right so its 6 cherry barbs, 6 neon tetras, 2 dwarf gorami's

how much space does that leave me with?

Right 1 inch is about 2.5cm so that you can understand if you prefer to work that way around :)
*looks in book for fish sizes*

cherries are 5cm... so that's 25cm of cherry barbs....

tetra are 4.5cm.... so that's 27cm of tetra....

..and dwarf gourami are 6cm.....so 12cm of them :)

All together so far that's 64cm, and you have up to 26cm left :)

If i were you with your tank size I'd get something that likes the bottom of the tank...so that your tank is active on ever level...maybe clown loaches or dwarf loaches, or maybe red tailed or albino sharks....

is that enough for a shrimp (can you just have one?) and one more type of fish?

I have amano shrimp and cameroon armoured fan shrimp atyopsis gabonensis. My biggest is only half size atm so he's going to be a right bruiser when he's fully grown :lol: They can't damage the fish as they filter food particles from the water with delicate fans (see my tanks pics) and they add a great dimension to the community :D

I also have apple snails of varying colours and they're great to watch.

If i were you with your tank size I'd get something that likes the bottom of the tank...so that your tank is active on ever level...maybe clown loaches or dwarf loaches, or maybe red tailed or albino sharks....

right, i know catfish are bottom dwellers, as are shrimps (obviously). how many catfish and shrimp can i allocate in the remaining space?

I have amano shrimp and cameroon armoured fan shrimp atyopsis gabonensis. My biggest is only half size atm so he's going to be a right bruiser when he's fully grown :lol: They can't damage the fish as they filter food particles from the water with delicate fans (see my tanks pics) and they add a great dimension to the community :D

I also have apple snails of varying colours and they're great to watch.

hmm,,, can you get red shrimps anywhwere? the grey ones look a bit dull in colour.
id probly want 1-2 shrimps, then fill the rest of the space with catfish or danios

what would you do?

right, i know catfish are bottom dwellers, as are shrimps (obviously). how many catfish and shrimp can i allocate in the remaining space?

*goes back to book* (i love this book!!!)

leopard catfish and reticulated corydoras are the smallest catfish at 6-6.5cm long

you could take maybe 3 catfish and use another 18cm, then maybe shrimp with the remaining.....unfortunately there's nothing in my book about shrimp :( and i have never had any....or seen any for that matter.....

Edit: what can i use as a stand? i dont fancy going to buy a fish stand as they are pretty expensive :( this tank isnt exactly massive, so im guessing i could find some other kind of furniture to support it?

I've got my 28 Gallon high on a TV stand. Got it at Walmart for 30 dollars (US). Any sturdy desk, table, or shelf will work.

Unless you have a massive amount of shrimp, they're rarely added to the bioload list for a tank :D

If you have 26cm left, you could go for a nice group of corys like panda corys. They grow to apprx 5cm each so you could have a group of 5 :)

hmm,,, can you get red shrimps anywhwere? the grey ones look a bit dull in colour.
id probly want 1-2 shrimps, then fill the rest of the space with catfish or danios

what would you do?

You can get red shrimp...cherry shrimp...they're quite small but realy colourful :D Fan shrimp come in all sorts of colours :D

Shrimps

I'd go for a few shrimp and a group of corys :D In a 30 gallon tank you could have quite a few shrimp...I've got 9 in my big tank atm :D

ah great so the 2 shrimp i want wont add to the mass!
excellent!
right so that leaves me with either the catfish (most lilkely) danios or corys

excellent!
Go for corys...they'll keep the bottom of the tank nice and clean :D

yer the panda ones are nice looking :)

so with 10 cherry barbs/ 6 cherrys 6 neon tetra (not sure if i want the tetra yet, i might even go for just 6 cherry barbs if it will allocate space for the one other fish), 2 dwarf goramis, 2 shrimps. how many pando corys could i have?

would there be enough room for a small group of corys (say 3) and just ONE other fish? if so, what fish can be on their own in a community tank and look good?

excellent!

so with 10 cherry barbs/ 6 cherrys 6 neon tetra (not sure if i want the tetra yet), 2 dwarf goramis, 2 shrimps. how many pando corys could i have?

would there be enough room for a small group of corys (say 3) and just one other fish? if so, what fish can be on their own in a community tank and look good?

panda cory's are 5cm.....so you have room for say 3 of those....and then one more fish?

excellent!

so with 10 cherry barbs/ 6 cherrys 6 neon tetra (not sure if i want the tetra yet), 2 dwarf goramis, 2 shrimps. how many pando corys could i have?

would there be enough room for a small group of corys (say 3) and just one other fish? if so, what fish can be on their own in a community tank and look good?

panda cory's are 5cm.....so you have room for say 3 of those....and then one more fish?

yer, but im going with only 6 cherry barbs and no tetras now, to allocate room for that one fish

so so far my plan is:

6 cherry barbs
3 panda corys
2 dwarf goramis
2 shrimp (red ones hopefully)
and ONE other fish that can live on its own in a community tank. any ideas?

I'd keep the corys in as big a group as you can for them to be truly happy :D say 5.

cherry barbs 5cms each
neon tetra are 4cm max (have you thought about cardinals as they're really colourful and more hardy than neons?)
Dwarf gourami from 3cms upwards to 5/6cm depending on which you choose.

I'd keep the corys in as big a group as you can for them to be truly happy :D say 5.

cherry barbs 5cms each
neon tetra are 4cm max (have you thought about cardinals as they're really colourful and more hardy than neons?)

say i had 6 cherries, 5 corys, 2 dwarf and 2 shrimp (which dont count towards the total apparantly)
id have used up <maths> if the shrimp dont count, ive used 70cm of my 90cm space
i obviously have enough room for one more, real stand out fish, with lovely colours and to be largest in the tank.

just WHAT COULD I HAVE lol. theres too many to think of.

cherry barbs 5cms each

say i had 6 cherries, 5 corys, 2 dwarf and 2 shrimp (which dont count towards the total apparantly)
id have used up <maths> if the shrimp dont count, ive used 70cm of my 90cm space
i obviously have enough room for one more, real stand out fish, with lovely colours and to be largest in the tank.

just WHAT COULD I HAVE lol. theres too many to think of.

i had this exact problem....there's too much choice in the fish world ;)

Most reactions

Back