Would This Be Alright...

Most people prefer canisters or HOB filters, cuz they are efficient and you don't notice them. I use canisters or internal filters. Internals work fine IMO, but they stand out. If you don't mind having a large black unnatural object in your tank they are fine. My fluval 2 didn't bother me at first, but it has been annoying me lately. Eventually it will be changed to a canister.

Lighting all depends if you want it planted, and if you want it planted then you have to decide if you want it high tech or low tech. My best advice is to go slow and read everything you can before you start buying stuff.

Also cherry shrimp are really nice. They are small, but do great in planted tanks. I have a lot of them and normally they are considered neutral for the bioload. I would get at least 5-10, I think I put 20 in my 20gal about a year ago and now there is at least 40+ of them. Also look for the babies in the filter when ever you clean it, that is where they tend to hide.

Also for stocking I have to suggest a German blue ram.

Most people prefer canisters or HOB filters, cuz they are efficient and you don't notice them. I use canisters or internal filters. Internals work fine IMO, but they stand out. If you don't mind having a large black unnatural object in your tank they are fine. My fluval 2 didn't bother me at first, but it has been annoying me lately. Eventually it will be changed to a canister.

Lighting all depends if you want it planted, and if you want it planted then you have to decide if you want it high tech or low tech. My best advice is to go slow and read everything you can before you start buying stuff.

Also cherry shrimp are really nice. They are small, but do great in planted tanks. I have a lot of them and normally they are considered neutral for the bioload. I would get at least 5-10, I think I put 20 in my 20gal about a year ago and now there is at least 40+ of them. Also look for the babies in the filter when ever you clean it, that is where they tend to hide.

Also for stocking I have to suggest a German blue ram.

yes i do want a planted tank.
i am going to have long plants at the back of my tank anyway, and seeing as its a green filter, it should blend in.
where can i find these hang ob back filters, are they expensive, because the external ones seem to be,

yer i might get a load of cherry shrimp i think theyd be a nice addition to the tank.

OK, if you want a planted tank then the 1st thing you should do is read the sticky threads in the planted tank section. They may sound like gibberish at 1st and you may have to reread them a couple times before they start making sense(a lot in my case). Then you have to decide if you want Hi tech or low tech, look through the members planted tank thread to get an idea. Low tech doesn't cost too much extra. If you go hi tech you will need pressurized CO2 which can be pricey. HOB filters are not recommended on planted tanks because they drive off the CO2 that the plants need to grow. HOB are also loud IMO.

I think it would be best for you to do a low tech planted tank, meaning low light plants, no CO2 neccessary, and low maintenance. They are SO much cheaper than high techs. So you'll be wanting a light between 30 and 60 watts. You could go lower, but you'll have a very limited option in plant choices.

For the filters, you're not in the US, are you? I can't help you unless you are, sorry. They generally aren't too expensive. Only about $30 for one for your tank size.

For heaters you'll need about 100 watts, it's best to get ones that automatically turn off when the water level gets too low. They are about $20.

And HOBs will be fine for low tech tanks. :)

BUMP.
need to know if the filter is suitable as i want to roder the stuff as soon as possible.

The link isn't working... I'm not in the UK either, so I have no idea if that site is any good or not, sorry.

For the filter, if you can afford the next size up it would be better. And the heater I think you want the 100watt one.
For the lights, you'll want somewhere between 30 and 50 watts to help avoid algae, and you won't have to run CO2. The plants will grow very very slowly, but if you chose carefully, they won't die.

For the filter, if you can afford the next size up it would be better. And the heater I think you want the 100watt one.
For the lights, you'll want somewhere between 30 and 50 watts to help avoid algae, and you won't have to run CO2. The plants will grow very very slowly, but if you chose carefully, they won't die.

right im ordering the higher spec filter then, willorder the heater nextweek and ill get the rest towards the end of the month.

Most reactions

Back