Worried About My Combination Of Fish

fish-o-fish

Reaction score
Ok so I have a tropical tank that's currently sitting at 26 degrees.

The fish inhabiting it are:
- 1 male molly
- 3 female molly
- 4 male guppies
- 4 female guppies
- 8 assorted platy
- 2 comets
- 10 neons
- 5 Bristlenose

Is this a terrible combination?
I had to remove my calico goldfish due to bullying from the male molly, and I think I'll have to remove the 2 comets as well..

What other fish would be suitable with the ones I mentioned above? My male molly seems to be very aggressive, towards other fish and sexually aggressive toward the female molly. Would it be a good idea to get more female molly? Perhaps another male molly as well?

I do like angels and discus also. I know discus need slightly higher temperatures.. but would they suit the fish I currently have? I don't want any fatalities again. Already lost my 2 precious little fantails the other day :(

What size is the tank?

The goldfish have to go, they are not tropical and it is not a suitable environment for them in the long term.

Definantly move the comets as well they are cold water fish like the gold fish (provided they aren't fancy goldfish like celestial, fantail, or veil tails as the fancy types aren't well known for being as hardy as the good old garden variety gold fish or comet). Possibly too many male guppies per females they can tend to harrass them too much. Usually its suggested 1 male per 2 females so he divides his attentions between them. The sailfin might get less aggro with fewer male guppies in the tank, I believe they are distantly related (guppies and molly's and even platties) and he may see all those males as a threat to his harem.
Tank size, filteration and plant cover are important aspects of stocking.
Are the Bristle noses young? Because once they reach maturity they could be maxing out at 15cm, and two males will fight as will the girls if they don't have enough desirable hidey holes.
Neons I think like soft water while the guppies but more so the molly's prefer some salt in the water its not strictly essential for the guppies but it really benfits the molly's.

Okay thanks for all that advice everyone..

This is what I intend to do.

I have already moved the goldfish into my second tank. Tomorrow I am going to buy a heater for my second tank, and a second male molly and 4/5 more female mollies and move them all into their own tank and put the goldfish either in my third tank or back into the main tank.
With the mollies in their own tank, I can then add salt etc to keep them happier.

The bristlenose are pretty young but one is a lot larger than the other 4 and is already attempting to assert his dominance by starting fights. Would it be wise to perhaps move him into the molly tank once that's set up?

My plan is also to buy a few more female guppies so that the 4 males do have more to choose from. So probably 4 more female guppies so the ratio is 1 male: 2 female.

I was then going to get some extra platy so that they are more males and more females because at the moment I think there are 2 males and 5 females. This may not be a high enough male/female ratio??

I am also going to buy a bunch of live plants.. I have a lot of hidey hole ornaments for various fish to hide in and the bristlenose, but I want more live plants especially floating ones, should any of my females fall pregnant and give birth.

Does all this sound like it will improve my fish situation?

Thanks again for the responses.

Goldfish simply do not belong in a tropical tank. They are coldwater fish, grow very large and are very messy. These need to be in their own tank.

Personally I'd reduce the number of the BN. I'd increase the number of the livebearers to the ratio of 1m:3f, 2m:6f ect ect. I'd definately put any cold water fish into another tank. This is only what I would do, someone else I'm sure will suggest something different.

Can I ask, what size thank you have?

It's really hard to say what to do without knowing the size of the tank. Livebearers should be 1m:3f so your mollies are fine. I have kept mollies without salt with no problems, so have friends. Have you considered making the platy ratio 1:3 and exchanging the rest for more female guppies? Being livebearers the numbers will go up soon anyway.

I have never had bristlenoses myself but from what I've read that seems a few too many.

I have already moved the goldfish into my second tank. Tomorrow I am going to buy a heater for my second tank,

Why do you want a heater for a goldfish tank? Unless you live somewhere freezing cold, the goldfish doesn't need warm water. They are coldwater fish

Are we talking about a 70 litre tank here? Read what I replied to your other post:

Mollies and comets (common goldfish) are not compatible due to different temperature requirements.

Common goldfish should have at least a 6*2*2 ft fish tank to grow to their full adult size. Pond will also do.

Fancy goldfish are not compatible with common goldfish because of difference in ability to swim, etc, so the commons can abuse the fancies and out-compete them for food very easily.

Fancy goldfish should have at least a 4*2*2 ft fish tank to grow to their full adult size, preferably a 6*2*2 ft.

Mollies may be compatible with fancy goldfish, but not in a 70 litre tank, which is too small for both species. Mollies should have at least a 3*1*1 ft tank.

Most reactions

Back