Will My Tank Work?

cargo

Reaction score
So basicly I want to know if my tank would be good to set with Cichlids. Would I need to re decorate? I could pile some slate in the back to give it more of a rocky appearance if that is better.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=156476

I started that post. It explains my tank currently and also has some photos. Its a 42 gallon Hexagon.

I probably wouldn't put Lake Malawi cichlids in that tank because it so tall, and they really need the floor space. However you could probably get some shelldwellers and maybe another species or two of mid-dwelling Lake Tanganyika. I'm not very familiar with Lake Tang fish, but I'm sure someone else can help you out.

Hex's arn't the best for cichlids cause theres no length to them. If you really wanted to put cichlids in there you might want to check out the shell dweelers but by what i can tell you would have to totally change the landscape of your tank.

Yeah. I found some Blue Rams. I think im going with 8 of them and 3 corys and 1 red tail shark to clean the algae. Im also going to stack some slate at the rear of the tank and get some low grases for more ground cover.

Would that work?

If you read the first post you would know lol. Its a 42g hex

sorry i kinda skimmed your fine with the stocking i say go with it

I would post this in the NW Cichlid section to be on the safe side. Rams are New Worlds and are normally kept in pairs, I'm not too sure about 8 of them in a 42 gal Hex but probably not a good idea. :/

I always thought the Hex tanks were for bad or short distance swimmers :D . You know the fish like Angels, Balloon Mollies, Oranda Goldfish. The way you have the tank in the corner I'd build up the rock work up to the top and along the three sides but leave much of the front half for water (clutter free or one center piece). Stay with small fish not reaching 3 inches or less, so you can have more fish.

Rams I wouldn't recomend since they're touchy, nor a Red Tail Shark they're mad dashers and will bang it's nose in the tank (also they get pushy).

You could try daffodil pulchers one male. one to two females. Add some caves. They are very pretty fish IMO and once they start breeding will watch after the young, the young will watch after their young, etc. 42g hex is about a 25" foot print? (I have a 35g hex at 23" foot). Daffodils stay quite small 3 to 4" and their girth isn't much. You could add petricola synos for bottom feeders. They have quite the personalities in groups of three or more. They are IMO the corycats of the african tank.

The problem with hex's and cichlids is the foot print is too small for the fish. Most africans don't use the heighth of the hex's. my wife wants to get one and i told her it will most likely have to be a community tank cause the length isn't there to properly house cichlids. Also if you go with some shell dwellers i feel 8 is too many for that size of floor space. i would go with 4 and then get some community fish for the center and top height.

Most reactions

Back