Will My Tank Still Cycle

l33d5.dr

Reaction score
Hello,
My tank is in the 3rd week of a fishless cycle.I've read somewhere on this site that if you stop adding ammonia and don't put any fish in then the bacteria will die because they have nothing to feed on.I go on holiday next week so does that mean the tank will stop cycling and I'll have to start again.If it is true could I put a really big dose of ammonia in to last while I'm on holiday.

if i was u, id get someone who u trust to keep check on the qwater every couple days, and add a bit of ammonia if its needed.

whereas a larger dose of amonia will keep the bacteria alive, it will also mean that ur tank will take a much longer time in order to get the levels down again.

if i was u, id get someone who u trust to keep check on the qwater every couple days, and add a bit of ammonia if its needed.

whereas a larger dose of amonia will keep the bacteria alive, it will also mean that ur tank will take a much longer time in order to get the levels down again.
Thanks for the reply.
I can't get anyone to check on the tank while I'm away.I don't mind having to wait longer by putting extra ammonia in but I was worried if I put a large amount of ammonia in that I would do some damage and spoil the cycle.If it just means waiting longer then I think that's what I'll do.

add lots in, go on holiday, and when you come back, if the levels are still high, just do daily water changes to bring it down. it shouldnt take too much longer then usual =)

Overdosing can stall out your cycle as well...there is a reason that fishless cycling is only done with 5 ppms...if the levels get too high the ammonia will start to kill off the biofilter you've been trying to establish.

It depends on how long you will be gone but one option is to get an auto feeder and have it put a decent amount of fish flakes in each day. the flakes would decay and create ammonia. you could also put a sizeable amount of fish flakes in a stocking or some other type container and hang it in the tank before you leave. That way, you won't come back to a tank that has fish flakes everywhere.

It depends on how long you will be gone but one option is to get an auto feeder and have it put a decent amount of fish flakes in each day. the flakes would decay and create ammonia. you could also put a sizeable amount of fish flakes in a stocking or some other type container and hang it in the tank before you leave. That way, you won't come back to a tank that has fish flakes everywhere.
I'm going for a week.I never considered doing that with the fish food but after reading aphotic phonix's reply I think I'll play it safe and do that.Only problem now is waiting for my girlfriend to fall asleep then I can rumage through her knicker draw and pinch some of her stockings.Not something I do on a regular basis :blush: :blush: HONEST !! Thanks

You could probably just put some in a plastic cup or sandwich bag and put it in the tank. A filter pack would probably also work. The main thing is that you keep it confined so that it doesn't get all over the tank.

Most reactions

Back