Why Do People Feel The Need!

spudgun2k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Why do people feel the need to call a fish by its technical name! It frustrates me when people have the need to show off with the correct name for a fish, cant they give the common name?

here is an example. i obviously won't name the person:

But after Xmas I am hoping to get some heterandrias, and maybe some limia species, so I may change my mind

Now i have to google this as i have not read the fish bible to work out the actual fish here.
it was on a livebearers section so is not one of many fish it could be, just give the common name. to me it looks like the person is trying to show off there "fish knowledge"

cheers spuddy

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I have to agree! I can see how it helps sometimes but it does make life easier using the commomn name!

Common names are generally made up by each LFS. They vary hugely and people know things by different names. Scientific names however are universally recognized.

Common names are generally made up by each LFS. They vary hugely and people know things by different names. Scientific names however are universally recognized.
Jayjay is correct.

One must remember that one fish may have a number of different names (silver shark/bala shark/tri-clour shark etc). By using the scientific name (Balantiocheilus melanopterus) assigned to the fish there can be no doubt which fish is being discussed.

Also, how should I refer to the fish in my sig? I don't really know the common name, only the scientific name (Antennarius striatus). Should I invent a common name just so that someone who is unfamiliar with scientific names feels happier?

Nothing wrong in knowing the scientific names. :nerd: Sometimes common names wrongly label fish... with scientific names you know exactly which one is being dscussed.

EDIT: Beat me to it, andywg. Love your fish :D

Why do people feel the need to call a fish by its technical name! It frustrates me when people have the need to show off with the correct name for a fish, cant they give the common name?
I used to agree with you spudgun2k but I now see it from jayjay's perspective. Using a scientific name is a sure way to describe a unique fish no matter where you are from. I suppose sometimes the scientific name rolls off some peoples tongues easier than others because of the amount time spent our hobby.:drinks:

But that means if i do not know the scientific name i have to open another web page to search google. there are many generic names for fish to be fair.

jayjay stop picking on me or i will only leave the rubbish plants. lol :D

i think there are some people that search the scientific name b4 they post and they could put guppy, mollie, albino catfish, oscar ect.

it just seems uneccesary sometimes.

i would not expect you to rename a fish like that pie eating fish you have but would you really need to call a mollie a ritydhfjdk jfidogjknao just for the sake of it??

Want the runts from these fish? :lol:

Get Firefox and just use different tabs to search if you don't know, IE 7 has abs now, though I don't like IE.

But that means if i do not know the scientific name i have to open another web page to search google. there are many generic names for fish to be fair.

jayjay stop picking on me or i will only leave the rubbish plants. lol :D

i think there are some people that search the scientific name b4 they post and they could put guppy, mollie, albino catfish, oscar ect.

it just seems uneccesary sometimes.

i would not expect you to rename a fish like that pie eating fish you have but would you really need to call a mollie a ritydhfjdk jfidogjknao just for the sake of it??

I usually have to look up when people use the scientific name, however i dont mind this in one bit, and eventually they do stick in the mind, the best way to do it in my opinion is to use common name first then in brackets use the scientific name, it is just part of the massive learning curve of fishkeeping, and obviously different people are on different parts of this curve, it is an almost endless curve as there always new ideas and species ect so if you arent sure dont take it to heart we are all still learning and probably always will be, i for one am pleased there are sites like this as a point of reference, years ago there wasnt any internet and you had to trust your local lfs was being accurate.

Want the runts from these fish? :lol:

Get Firefox and just use different tabs to search if you don't know, IE 7 has abs now, though I don't like IE.

jay i have no idea what yo ujust said i now after reading this have no idea where i live or what my name is. :D :D :D

I must admit I can see both sides. It is difficult working out what fish are what with the scientific names but as icy says it is a great way to learn. When I started keeping fish I didn't have the first clue but part of the fun is learning both common and scientific names. You get a great deal of satisfaction learning names, behaviour etc.
But I still think spudguns first comment was funny! Sorry. :blush:

I must admit I can see both sides. It is difficult working out what fish are what with the scientific names but as icy says it is a great way to learn. When I started keeping fish I didn't have the first clue but part of the fun is learning both common and scientific names. You get a great deal of satisfaction learning names, behaviour etc.
But I still think spudguns first comment was funny! Sorry. :blush:

cheers stang. i am not trying to be a pain, but sometimes i wonder what goes through some peoples mind! lol. i can understand the argument though. :wub:

I use common names as much as possible. I only know Synodontis and Corydoras because they're included in their common names. Scientific names confuse me D: It's like a whole different language!

What about things like common plecs? There are several different species sold as common plecs, and not all grow to the same size, have the same needs, etc. So surely it's better to use their scientific name, then folks know which they're talking about?

I dont think it's showing off really. And it shows that people have researched the fish, which should be commended really ;)

Most reactions

Back