Whoa! Nitrites!

Kairi

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I tested the 10 gallon tanks water today... there's still a lil bit of ammonia, but earlier this week, I dropped in an ammonia clear tab coz I knew the levels were high- so it might be whatever those tabs turn the ammonia into that I was reading.... Then I tested the nitrItes. IT WAS PURPLE! I did a happy dance at first... because that's a good sign. It's finally cycling! (took me long enough)....

so, what do nitrItes do to fish? what if there always reads a lil ammonia? (the pleco's in there til the 75 gallon is cycled).... will he keep the ammonia level up higher than it should be? what kind of water changes do i do now?

Well Nitrites are just as harmful for fish, even low levels can be proven to be fatal.

Nitrates the stage after Nitrites is really not bad for fish, but in large ammounts can also be proven to be fatal. Plants take up nitrates, and water changes reduce 'em.

As with ammonia, you have got to bring this level down. Do daily water changes, or at this case, bi-daily since the levels are so high. If your pleco wasn't in there, i would tell you to add salt, as salt reduces nitrite toxicity.

Ya but do BI-Daily 5-10 percent changes. Anymore than that and you will have some problems

ok. I did a 25 % change tonight, and I'll begin it twice daily tomorrow. I guess I thought it would take longer for them to show up. Do you think the pleco will keep the ammonia levels above 0ppm? So far, he has been.

I'd go up to 25%. Normally its safe to do 25% at one time, and doing them morning and night. That will give the fish a chance to adjust to the changing water conditions.

Ya but wouldn't she somehow run the risk of a recycle if it is a small tank?

I've been taking out ONLY water, unless I can find pleco poop. I don't gravel vac, and that's what's helped so far. I've lost two fish in this process, I'd kind of like to keep my other 6.

There are only two scenarios that would cause a tank to recycle from too many water changes. The first is not using dechlorinator because the chlorine would kill the beneficial bacteria (and the fish too). The second is if you had a under gravel filter. Over vacuming the gravel can cause smaller tanks to go into a cycle.

The biggest concern with doing frequent water changes is changing the conditions too greatly from where they were. The key thing is you do not want to dramatically change a fish's environment. Even dramatic changes for the better can be stressful.

Most reactions

Back