Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia

• England

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious too, who voted Antarctica? No shame, I think it would be super cool, if you weren't pulling our legs. Could be part of a research team.

Has anybody from Africa spoken up yet?

When I first saw this topic I saw a perfectly reasonable question/poll by the original poster who was asking whereabouts we were all located by "continent".
I did not remember there being an "England" option.
If there had been then why was there not a New Zealand option alongside Australia, what happened to Canada and North America.
etc etc.
I was confused.
Where did all this political stuff come from ? ?

So I re-read it all and it seems that CFC (post #5) decided to add "England" ! ! !
I added a England choice as i refuse to be considered part of Europe.
What has all this political English/British/UK/Europe stuff got to do with fishkeeping ? Or with the original poll question. ? ?

I thought Moderators were supposed to moderate, not exacerbate ? :(

I suppose another way of asking would have been by geographic region. It is interesting to know where, and therfore under what conditions ( climate/ambient temperature/availability etc.) folks are keeping tropical fish.
Aside : do people living in the 'tropical' continents have an interest in keeping cold-water fish ? !

Edit later : I was taught Australasia for the continent down err umm downunder ermmm overthere ;) :)

You will find that the word British DOES NOT omit the majority of "Northern Irish"... That is why we are still part of the UK.

you will find it does because Great Briton is England, Wales and Scotland
the UK (United kindoms of Great Briton and Northern Ireland) is different.

You will find that the word British DOES NOT omit the majority of "Northern Irish"... That is why we are still part of the UK.

you will find it does because Great Briton is England, Wales and Scotland
the UK (United kindoms of Great Briton and Northern Ireland) is different.

:lol: WHAT DOES THAT REPLY HAVE TO DO WITH MY COMMENT????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain Below is a small piece of text from this link. Please take the time to read it.

"There is similar situation with the terms Britain and British, which are used to relate to the whole of the UK and not just the island of Great Britain. This usage is generally considered to be correct. Examples of this are "British monarchs", "British culture" and "British citizens" - which would generally be considered to embrace the whole of the United Kingdom".

HOW DOES THE WORD BRITISH OMIT THE MAJORITY OF "NORTHERN IRISH"??? I AM A BRITISH CITIZEN. You DONT have to live in GREAT "BRITON" (sic) to be British. I know what makes up Briton (sic). Although Northern Ireland is not part of Briton (sic), does not mean that i am not British.

Anyway, answer my question please, HOW DOES THE WORD BRITISH OMIT THE MAJORITY OF "NORTHERN IRISH"???

Can you do that?

Imagine that, being told what nationality i cannot be by someone who cant even spell what he is slabbering about.... :(

If the word British DID omit the majority of people in Northern Ireland you it would no longer say on your passport "United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland" - but hey, im not going into anything too politcal with someone who OBVIOUSLY doesnt know what they are talking about. Stay out of politics & stick to the fish ;)

HOW DOES THE WORD BRITISH OMIT THE MAJORITY OF "NORTHERN IRISH"???

OK! For the record...I originally posted each continent. 7 to be exact, as I was taught them for the entire term of my education. Apparently all the europeans feel that they can not be classified as living on the continent of europe. I am OK with that. So when CFC changed the poll options to include england...or...great britain...I really didn't mind. However I didn't intend for this to be a poll for how british you are or aren't. I'm sorry for this misunderstanding and didn't mean to offend any europeans, british, scottish, irish, or any other people from that continent that I forgot to mention. If you don't like the post then don't vote, and just PM me or a mod as to why you think I should be hung. whew. all done!

Well, you created a very interesting thread! Unless you are British you wouldn't understand how Welsh, Irish and Scottish people sometimes really hate to be grouped with the English. It's an historical thing going back hundreds of years. When I was on holiday in the US an American asked us where we came from and I said Britain. A Scottish lady in our party nearly burst a blood vessel, she was furious! That's why I mentioned it. I know, we're weird! :fun:

I keep my fish in my bedroom since I know that my room is the only room in the house that is quiet! Everywhere else there are dogs barking kids playing, loud T.V or music, ect. Also my family members dont have a clue about fishs so they would probably put the whole can of food flakes into the tank. :nod:

:lol: Come on The-Wolf! HOW DOES THE WORD BRITISH OMIT THE MAJORITY OF "NORTHERN IRISH"??? :lol:

:lol: Come on The-Wolf! HOW DOES THE WORD BRITISH OMIT THE MAJORITY OF "NORTHERN IRISH"??? :lol:

ok you want to push this so be it.
Brit·ish
a. (brĭt"ĭsh)
[AS. Brittisc, Bryttisc.]
Of or pertaining to Great Britain or to its inhabitants;

Brit·ish
n. pl.
People of Great Britain.
websters dictonary

of or relating to or characteristic of Great Britain or its people or culture; "his wife is British"
the people of Great Britain

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

The United Kingdom (UK) is Europe's largest island and arguably its most influential country.

In simple terms, it's the wonderful union of the individual countries of England, Scotland and Wales (collectively called Great Britain) and the region of Northern Ireland

taken from http://worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/uk.htm

I suggest that you also read this (in full)
http://alt-usage-english.org/whatistheuk.html

so you can clearly see that Great Britain does not and will not include Northern Ireland!
now get off you high horse and stop calling me British, I am not and never will be.
I am English and bloody proud to be so.

I love word battles. :D It's fascinating how so much meaning is attached to them. I'll abstain from this word battle seeing as I am not well versed on Great Britain or it's history but next time someone brings up word usage or pronounciation i'll be more than glad to jump in.

so you can clearly see that Great Britain does not and will not include Northern Ireland!
:lol: Where did i say Great Britain included Northern Ireland? THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN NORTHERN IRELAND ARE BRITISH.

WHERE DID I SAY GREAT BRITAIN INCLUDED NORTHERN IRELAND ?
PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT, CAN YOU DO THAT? WILL YOU SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT GREAT BRITAIN INCLUDED NORTHERN IRELAND "THE-WOLF"???

THE WOLF WROTE THIS - "I suggest that you also read this (in full)
http://alt-usage-english.org/whatistheuk.html" END
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I SUGGEST YOU READ PART OF THIS. THE FIRST PARAGRAPH FROM ""British" and "Britain".

HERE IS IS ANYWAY:

Like the USA, the UK suffers from having no convenient adjective to describe the country or its people. The best thing that can be said for "British" is that it is not quite as misleading as "American", but it is nevertheless the established term for "relating to the UK". So "British citizen" is correct (though only since 1981 - see below). This causes endless confusion and a fair amount of ill-will when applied to the people of Northern Ireland. They are British citizens, and so "British" in that sense (although they can also be citizens of the Republic of Ireland if they wish, as many do). They are not from Great Britain, so they are not "British" in that sense (i.e. as distinct from Irish).

YOUR SILENCE WILL SAY MORE IF YOU POST NO REPLY!

WHERE DID I SAY GREAT BRITAIN INCLUDED NORTHERN IRELAND ?
PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT, CAN YOU DO THAT? WILL YOU SHOW ME WHERE I SAID THAT GREAT BRITAIN INCLUDED NORTHERN IRELAND "THE-WOLF"???

Lets make sure this stays civil and on topic please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back