When the sleeper wakes...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Well there still could be some fry hanging out somewhere in the DGBT.

Also back in the main tank if he's bubble nesting and they start breeding some fry could show up in there.

Also back in the main tank if he's bubble nesting and they start breeding some fry could show up in there.
I think I can safely say that no actual fry were made and my suspicion that all eggs were eagerly eaten by the fish has been confirmed.
This was my last vid of the DGBT, before I backed off and left them all to their own devices.
Whilst there was definitely more entwining of bodies, there are definitely no resultant fry.

Whilst that is remotely possible, I'm not overly confident of such an event, given the wildlife frequenting the upper reaches of the tank and the Salvinia roots. The fry I've previously found had been hiding down at the bottom of the tank and I suspect these to be cherry barb progeny.

Update

Tyrion and his Ladies have settled well enough into Tank No.2.
The shrimp are continuing to reproduce and are continuing to enjoy the added leaves.
The kuhli loach remain very active.
I did remove the chili rasbora and transplanted these to the relatively empty ex-DGBT. I've also added some more shrimp, to join the 3 different nerite snails.
This is now Tank 3 and now has a complement of Sparkling Gourami, who have settled in beautifully, making their distinctive rattle. (I have two males and four females).
You might recall me mentioning that Tank 1 had the Cockatoo Apistos laying more eggs, this time against the back wall of the tank. Although they appeared to be quite fiercely guarded by the smaller female, these didn't hatch into fry and I suspect that the bristlenose might've taken them out. It's also possible that the male didn't do his bit. ;)

I've now spent some time re-arranging the plants and decor in Tank 1 and have added two coconut halves. One of these has already been claimed by the larger female cockatoo, whilst the other seems to have the undivided attentions of the smaller female. Obviously, 'caves' are what should've been provided in the first place, as these are much easier to defend.

I think I can safely say that no actual fry were made and my suspicion that all eggs were eagerly eaten by the fish has been confirmed.
This was my last vid of the DGBT, before I backed off and left them all to their own devices.
Whilst there was definitely more entwining of bodies, there are definitely no resultant fry.

Whilst that is remotely possible, I'm not overly confident of such an event, given the wildlife frequenting the upper reaches of the tank and the Salvinia roots. The fry I've previously found had been hiding down at the bottom of the tank and I suspect these to be cherry barb progeny.
A thought:

Unbeknownst to me, one of my fishkeeping behaviors resulted in transporting eggs from main tank into shrimp tank. Said behavior consisted of taking clumps of greenery from main tank and putting it into shrimp tank for feeding and "tidying up."

One day while studying the shrimp tank, lo and behold I spied a fry! After that I watched the main tank closely and as soon as I saw a fry I would transfer it into the shrimp tank.

I'm not sure exactly how many fry resulted from the transport of greenery containing eggs, but I do know that my shrimp tank became a very successful grow out tank.

I admit my knowledge is scant regarding the fish you are going to breed but is it possible that, once you think that eggs exist, you might transfer the nest and surrounding greenery into a grow out tank?

Here is a video of my red cherry shrimp tank where you can see some WCMM fry in the foreground and several little pair of blue eyes in the background.

(If I'm not mistaken I think earlier in the thread someone may have mentioned just moving the whole nest at a time, which is essentially what I'm suggesting).

A thought:

Unbeknownst to me, one of my fishkeeping behaviors resulted in transporting eggs from main tank into shrimp tank. Said behavior consisted of taking clumps of greenery from main tank and putting it into shrimp tank for feeding and "tidying up."

One day while studying the shrimp tank, lo and behold I spied a fry! After that I watched the main tank closely and as soon as I saw a fry I would transfer it into the shrimp tank.

I'm not sure exactly how many fry resulted from the transport of greenery containing eggs, but I do know that my shrimp tank became a very successful grow out tank.

I admit my knowledge is scant regarding the fish you are going to breed but is it possible that, once you think that eggs exist, you might transfer the nest and surrounding greenery into a grow out tank?

Here is a video of my red cherry shrimp tank where you can see some WCMM fry in the foreground and several little pair of blue eyes in the background.

(If I'm not mistaken I think earlier in the thread someone may have mentioned just moving the whole nest at a time, which is essentially what I'm suggesting).
A thought and a good thought, to be honest.
Back in the day, whilst there were many skilled aquarists who had developed their hobby enough to facilitate multiple tanks and breeding programs, many apparently just let Nature take its course.
I know that I managed to breed fish without really trying, other than maintaining effective tank ecologies.

It is possible that any of my tanks contain fry and, whenever I change water, do anything with a syphon, or remove floating plants, I'm always careful now to keep a close eye out for fry. Out of those I've found to date in my SE Asian tank, some 75% turn out to be, after a close scrutiny with my large magnifying glass, tiny shrimp. They and the fry are returned to the tank.
Whilst I do have emergency-only space available for a hospital facility, I'm trying to be cautious with breeding, so that I don't get over-run and compromise the ecologies for the other creatures there.
(If my Cockatoo Apistos create fry, I have a viable plan for these, so no worries on that front).

A dozen tiny Sundadanio axelrodi, (previously known as Rasbora axelrodi), added to Tank No.2.
Gorgeous little fish...I never appreciated just how may good nano fish there are.

Nice! Which colour are they? I've only ever seen blue Sundadanios but apprently there's a red form as well, depending on where they originated.

Most reactions

Back