When the sleeper wakes...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So I've been watching the lone lady Dwarf Gourami in my SE Asian tank and she's definitely not as settled as the two with the male and clearly trying to leave via the front of the tank.
Whilst contemplating dismantling the hard landscaping again, I remembered a technique for catching fish from the Before Times...namely to leave the net in the tank and occasionally move it around without actually chasing anything. The theory is that the fish become used to it and see it as less of a threat. Actual capture then becomes relatively easy.

So the old ways are often the better ways and she is now re-united with her sisters and is already far less agitated, in spite of Tyrion saying 'Hello Bay-bee...come and fondle my feelers'.

If I have to remove any fish from the ex-QT, at least it'll be a simpler job to remove stuff than it was the bigger tank.

It was a Good Decision...the three ladies are back as they were and Tyrion's like a pig in muck!

DSCN4339.JPG

Poor devil doesn't know where to turn. :D

Tyrion will need that QT aquarium....to get his breath back and to have a rest ;)

Just realised that since I removed the last remnants of the water wisteria from the DG (nee QT) tank, I didn't update the planting info...
The Canadian Pondweed, (Elodea canadensis) and had a bunch of Elodea densa added to it. I've moved the Limnophila around and stuck an Amazon Sword (Echinodorus Bleheri) in at the back.
Three Cyperus helferii have also been added, giving the vegetation some height.

Interesting afternoon...the three ladies have repeatedly surrounded Tyrion and given him a dashed good frottering with their feely feelers.
I later noticed the largest, Shae*, bolting to the rear of the tank and then doing the wrapping of bodies with Tyrion. He was apparently busy blowing bubbles and sticking bits of Salvinia together...obviously nest building.
(He'd been practising this when he was on his lonesome in the big tank).
The filter that came with the tank can have the flow adjusted, so I've now turned it down to a minimum output.

*Still a whole tail shorter than Tyrion.

I have a gang of 12 and they're always very active, especially around feeding time. What's cute is that most of them arrive at the banquet in pairs and I've seen them spawning amongst my Salvinia roots.
My tank, as you can see, is very well planted, with lots of hidey holes and they certainly like browsing amidst the sand substrate and digging tunnels under my hairgrass.

These are next on my list, they're interesting looking creatures.

Sorry to burst onto your thread Bruce....

In relation to the Kuhli.....one of my normal suppliers has them at last (although too late for me to get them unless I get another aquarium)

Admittedly they are the black Kuhli....but still nice to finally see some available

They are based close to Gatwick airport, all fish bought from them by me have arrived by courier without any issues.

Thanks for the link, just out of interest how do the fish arrive? I were told fish shouldn't be in a bag for to long due to the amount of oxygen?

Thanks for the link, just out of interest how do the fish arrive? I were told fish shouldn't be in a bag for to long due to the amount of oxygen?
I used a different company for my Dwarf Gourami; The Trop Co.
The three arrived together in the one standard-sized poly bag, full of water and tightly tied.
They were accompanied by two more bags of water, effectively filling the expanded polystyrene box they came in.
Also in the polystyrene box were four small heat pads...the sort with a gel inside, that I believe you can heat in the microwave.
These were still warm when I opened the box.

The white polystyrene box was inside a very sturdy cardboard box that fitted it almost exactly. Any space was filled with brown paper.

A chap who I believe was associated with the company delivered them directly to my hands and took a photo and asked me to open the box, to ensure all was well.
NOTE that I had spoken at some length to a very knowledgeable lady on the 'phone, the day before, to arrange the delivery...and make payment.

As for the amount of oxygen, I'd assume they might've been given a squirt before bagging and subsequent transport. Also, don't forget that fish travel from the far East to the UK and whilst some may die, the majority apparently do not. (It wouldn't be profitable for them to do so).

Reactions: CRS
So I set up the camera for the Quaranti...Dwarf Gourami Breeding Tank, henceforth known as the DGBT, hoping to capture some genuine courtship between Tyrion and one of his ladies...

Behind, they did a beautiful display.

I like the first video better. The girls are shiny✨
Pretty impressive tank for a QT now DGBT.
Ta.
That's how girl Dwarf Gourami should be, which makes me wonder why Joe and Josephine Public view them as dull and undesirable. :rolleyes:
They also interact nicely with each other...and Tyrion, which was a most pleasant surprise.

Most reactions

Back