Whats Going On With My Cycle?

I'm done reading or discussing till you make an informed post since it seems like asking for a simple explanation is too difficult from your 'informed standpoint'. I read a lot of information from your previous 'hint'. I fully understood it all and most of it was stuff I already knew. I could not find anything backing up what you said.

My suggestion to the OP. Go planted and let nature take care of all this hassle or clone the tank.

Adding too much ammonia doesn't grow the wrong type of bacteria, it just doesn't grow the ammonia eating bacteria since the bacteria is eventually effected by the toxicity. This stalls the cycle since ammonia cannot get broken down into nitrite. Bacteria grows just about everywhere. Lots of different types of bacteria grow in your tank besides Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter its just that they are not of concern to us. So I don't agree with saying "you grow the wrong kind of bacteria" you simply don't grow the kind you want.

All of that is wrong Mikaila.

Adding too much ammonia encourages the establishment of the wrong type of bacteria because the bacteria we want in our tank work at levels of less than 0.01ppm ammonia (i.e. less than our test kits can measure). This is why you will often hear of people having a mini-cycle a week or two after they think the tank has cycled as the 'wrong' bacteria die off and the right bacteria take over.

Also the high ammonia is inhibitory to the nitratation bacteria (i.e. those that convert nitrite to nitrate).

Nitrosomonas and nitrobacter are not the bacteria we have in our cycled aquarium (in any number). They are the bacteria that will grow by allowing excessive ammonia and nitrite levels however (i.e. they are the 'wrong' bacteria).
I feel bad for the OP right about now..

I was really looking forward to your input :(

thankyou all for your advise.now you can see what i mean when i say it can get confusing due to the different advise.but obviously i will follow the advise i want to.i am a member of this forum and another.all of the people on there have agreed with what Mikaila31 is saying. also they said that "What do they call 'ridiculously high'? It must certainly be greater than c1500mg/l." also this "I think nitrate has to be excessively high to react into anything else. Lots of water on the continent comes out of the tap in the 100's, so I don't think it will will turn into nitric acid at that concentration or there's be a lot of dead Europeans out there.....?!" im carrying on with the cycle just adding 2ppm a day.as the ammonia is dropping in under 12 hours tho should i be re-dosing every 12 hours or 24???

thankyou all for your advise.now you can see what i mean when i say it can get confusing due to the different advise.but obviously i will follow the advise i want to.i am a member of this forum and another.all of the people on there have agreed with what Mikaila31 is saying. also they said that "What do they call 'ridiculously high'? It must certainly be greater than c1500mg/l." also this "I think nitrate has to be excessively high to react into anything else. Lots of water on the continent comes out of the tap in the 100's, so I don't think it will will turn into nitric acid at that concentration or there's be a lot of dead Europeans out there.....?!"

I'd love to get into that conversation...which forum is it and which thread?

im carrying on with the cycle just adding 2ppm a day.as the ammonia is dropping in under 12 hours tho should i be re-dosing every 12 hours or 24???

As you seem to like Mikaila's advice here's what her considered opinion is "My suggestion to the OP. Go planted and let nature take care of all this hassle or clone the tank."

Have fun. :good:

thankyou all for your advise.now you can see what i mean when i say it can get confusing due to the different advise.but obviously i will follow the advise i want to.i am a member of this forum and another.all of the people on there have agreed with what Mikaila31 is saying. also they said that "What do they call 'ridiculously high'? It must certainly be greater than c1500mg/l." also this "I think nitrate has to be excessively high to react into anything else. Lots of water on the continent comes out of the tap in the 100's, so I don't think it will will turn into nitric acid at that concentration or there's be a lot of dead Europeans out there.....?!"

im carrying on with the cycle just adding 2ppm a day.as the ammonia is dropping in under 12 hours tho should i be re-dosing every 12 hours or 24???

As you seem to like Mikaila's advice here's what her considered opinion is "My suggestion to the OP. Go planted and let nature take care of all this hassle or clone the tank."

heres the site and my thread http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=27111.msg323660#msg323660 the thread whats going on with my cycle

ooops my bad i ment to say the people agree with prime ordeals advise sorry .as i use the other site more i just wanted there input on it

heres the site and my thread http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/index.php?topic=27111.msg323660#msg323660 the thread whats going on with my cycle

I had a look at that thread. What a mixed bag of truths, half truths and outright nonsense (a bit like this forum really :hey: :lol: ). It's clear that Vale is the only one there with any understanding of the science involved.

Adding too much ammonia encourages the establishment of the wrong type of bacteria because the bacteria we want in our tank work at levels of less than 0.01ppm ammonia

This is a very specific number (<0.01 ppm). Could you please post a citation to support this number? I would like to read the paper that provides the evidence for that number. Thanks much!

Does it really need a citation Bignose? In a cycled, mature tank the ammonia level will always be below (usually well below) 0.01ppm. By definition therefore (or circumstance) the nitrifying bacteria that are effective in an aquarium must be most efficient at metabolising at those low levels, otherwise they'd never get established in the first place or they'd be in a permanent state of dormancy.

Does it really need a citation Bignose? In a cycled, mature tank the ammonia level will always be below (usually well below) 0.01ppm. By definition therefore (or circumstance) the nitrifying bacteria that are effective in an aquarium must be most efficient at metabolising at those low levels, otherwise they'd never get established in the first place or they'd be in a permanent state of dormancy.
Not trying to be a #29### and please dont take this as some rude hermit who wants to prove someone wrong, but out of curiosity do you have any evidence to support your claim? id enjoy a good read, as ive seen you posting on many others cycling threads and am just wondering exactly where your getting your facts from?

Most reactions

Back