What Tests Do I Need?

manutd4life

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have got some tests but do i need any more? i.e nitrite?

i have ammonia, nitrate tests here withe the test tube and the liquids. i have ph test strips on the way via post. what other stuff fdo i need? water conditioner, nitrite tests, etc

cheers

need for what?

If you mean for fishless cycling...

Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH

test strips are a bit useless... unreliable, most people will agree

need for what?

Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH

Have to agree with that. Whilst my API registered 5.0ppm Nitrites the strips showed hardly any at all. Also had problems reading the PH on them too as the colour was always a bit of a mix.

need for what?

Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH

need for my fish and tank, my fish is in the tank!

need for what?

Ammonia
nitrite
nitrate
pH

Have to agree with that. Whilst my API registered 5.0ppm Nitrites the strips showed hardly any at all. Also had problems reading the PH on them too as the colour was always a bit of a mix.

you say test strips are useless, what can i get then?

what other stuff do i need?

ordered the api master test kit, wish i asked before i bought the amminia and nitrate tests seperatly, nearly the same price for the master kit.

will this tell me what to get in the booklet if i need to soften my water?

cheers

You do indeed need water conditioner. I use Prime brand but many of the readily available brands of conditioner work just fine. My preference for Prime is simple, a single dose of 1 ml can treat 10 gallons of water. In use that is far cheaper to use than a treatment where I would use 1 ml per gallon. Since I run 25 tanks in my home, I need to watch the cost of each and every thing that I use with my tanks or they will bankrupt me. The Prime is a way of doing water treatments without braking the bank.

Most reactions

Back